Dec 09, 2015, 01:06 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Miss Behave

As with most modelers I have several unfinished kits that for various reasons I have stopped working on. Probably the most recognized is the Late War PT Boat. I always intend to get back to that model some day. We had a life changing event here at Toad Hall about 18 months ago. Things are getting better and I decided to go back and post some pictures of a build that I started some time ago.

This is the build of Mack Products Miss Behave. When I started the build it was going to be straight out of the box. No mods, no corrections, just build it as is. The problem started when someone posted pictures of the real Miss Behave in the Museum in New York. The model was about 75 percent complete when I decided to change it to represent the Miss Behave as it is today.

Rich's kit is great. It represents Miss Behave as she was back in the day. He has done an excellent job in providing the builder with a kit that he can use to build an excellent model. I spoke with Rich several times while building and he always took the time to help me. I gave him some information about some changes that I made during the build that he has incorporated into changes in the instructions. All the changes I made were a matter of personal preference. I will talk about these as I post more information and pictures.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2015, 01:49 PM

Great to see you back at it G. Man !

At Last !

Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 12, 2016 at 02:43 PM.
Dec 09, 2015, 01:54 PM
Thread OP
In the kit you will find the dashboard is two pieces. The plywood part you can see installed here. Later a mahogany overlay will be used to mount the instruments. This will be glued to the plywood substructure. You will find that the cut out for the steering column does not match between the two parts. The correct placement is the cut out in the mahogany part. You can move the location on the plywood substructure before you install it. I did it the other way and cut a new mahogany dash from scrap. It is up to you. You can build the footboard and temporarily install it into the slots on the bulkhead. It has a hole that the end of the steering column goes into. You can use this as a guide for the new location of the hanger that is installed on the substructure. Get it correct now and you will be happy later. Because I made a new dash instead of changing the location of the hanger to match it the hole in the foot board did not line up. It is easy enough to drill a new hole in the foot board later which is what I did but it would have been easier to do it before the deck is on.
Last edited by Gravman; Dec 09, 2015 at 02:33 PM.
Dec 09, 2015, 02:27 PM
What Tim said!

Dec 09, 2015, 10:06 PM
Got any good pictures of the real boat ?
Dec 09, 2015, 10:15 PM
Thread OP

Miss Behave

You betcha.
Dec 09, 2015, 10:21 PM
Thread OP

Miss Behave

A few more
Dec 10, 2015, 08:48 AM

One of a kind

Seen a few pics of this one over the years but not these very shots ~

These are great close ups, should enable you to take it over the top to create a one of a kind model !
Dec 10, 2015, 12:00 PM
Thread OP

Miss Behave

The next step after installing the subdeck was adding the mahogany deck planking. If you are going to duplicate the Miss Behave as she is today then you should not use the black caulking strips that are provided in the kit. Looking at the photos of the real Miss Behave the caulking appears almost a neutral color. Not sure what it is. At this point in the build I still had not seen photos of the real Miss Behave, so I used the kit supplied caulking. I had several mahogany planks left over from Irene that were a lighter tone than the kit supplied deck planking. I thought it would make a better contrast so I decided to use it. This would later come back to bite me as I only had just enough to complete the deck.
Dec 10, 2015, 01:24 PM
Excellent plank work here ~

How do you like those clamps ?
Last edited by Tim B.; Aug 12, 2016 at 03:39 PM.
Dec 10, 2015, 01:35 PM
Thread OP
They are perfect for this type of work. I know they are kinda pricey from Micro Mark but they do the job. You have to be careful not to over torque the screws as they will break off.
Dec 10, 2015, 05:34 PM
I really like what you did for the bow. It's similar to what you do for the Dumas Sub Chaser.
Dec 10, 2015, 06:27 PM
Thread OP
Yes it is a Dumas thing. On the first runabout kit they produced years and years ago it was how they had you do it. I have done it that way ever since.
Dec 10, 2015, 07:04 PM
Thread OP

Miss Behave

Once I had the deck installed it was time to start sanding. I hate that part. When the deck was smooth I used blue line tape for the cover boards. I used ebony gel stain.
Dec 10, 2015, 08:00 PM
Looks really nice. Great job on the planking. I have a jpeg picture of the Gar-wood speedometer. If you like I can post it here or send it to you.

Ed

Quick Reply