Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Multiplex TwinStar BL

The TwinStar is back!

Multiplex TwinStar BL

The TwinStar II Gets A Makeover!

The iconic TwinStar makes its return debut as the all new TwinStar BL. This new version-3 airframe sees a number of improvements in the overall design. It's currently available as a kit only, but a RR version will be available next year. The wing is a 2-piece design, and the price will retail for $99 for the kit.

Specs:

  • Wingspan: 56 in.
  • Wing Area: 667 sq. in.
  • Wing Loading: 9.08 oz. | sq. ft.
  • Fuselage Length: 40.5 in.
  • Weight: 53 oz (1500 g)

Kit Version With no Electronics. Optional Power Pack Coming Soon

The kit version without electronics will be shipping soon, and a separate power pack with the brushless motors and esc's will be available separately (no link available to the Power Pack yet).

MULTIPLEX TwinStar BL [deutsch] (2 min 44 sec)

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Dec 09, 2015 at 01:50 PM..
Thread Tools
Dec 09, 2015, 09:01 PM
Registered User
BushLeagueRC's Avatar

Availability


Do you know when/where this will be available in the US?
Dec 10, 2015, 11:57 AM
Xpress..'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushLeagueRC View Post
Do you know when/where this will be available in the US?
There are some on the way to Tower Hobbies along with the FunCub kits. Should be in stock Mid December.
Latest blog entry: BLOWOUT SALE round 2!!!!
Dec 10, 2015, 01:20 PM
400' + is where fun starts.
Martin Y's Avatar
Not much different other that brushless motors, which most people install and colored stickers.
Dec 10, 2015, 02:45 PM
Registered User
any idea comparing to the old twinstar about 5 / 6 years ago? miss that plane.
Dec 10, 2015, 04:31 PM
Xpress..'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtruck169 View Post
any idea comparing to the old twinstar about 5 / 6 years ago? miss that plane.
The original TwinStar was made from EPS/Styrofoam and wasn't super durable. The TwinStar II was updated with some minor refinements to the design and hardware and was made from the new, super durable Elapor foam. The TwinStar BL is based off of the TwinStar II design with some minor refinements to handle a larger variety of power systems. Should give you the pilot the same flying feel in the air, but now with the reliability and power of brushless systems
Latest blog entry: BLOWOUT SALE round 2!!!!
Dec 10, 2015, 08:47 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Ira NZ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
The TwinStar BL is based off of the TwinStar II design with some minor refinements to handle a larger variety of power systems. Should give you the pilot the same flying feel in the air, but now with the reliability and power of brushless systems
It was/is however pretty trivial to swap the brushed motors for brushless in the older twinstar. Other than buying the ESCs and motors all I had to do was drill a couple extra holes in the stock motor mounts because they didn't line up with the motors. And tape the ESCs to the bottom of the nacelles. Not the tidiest package, but easy.
Dec 10, 2015, 10:43 PM
Registered User
My own Twinstar II has been flying in brushless form for nearly three years. I use 8 X 4 counter turning wood blades from some ancient Zingers. A pair of 25 amp Phoenix CC ESCs are held in place on the sides of the fuselage just under the wings. Power has remained at 3S 2200 pack.

The undercarriage with steering nose wheel is worth doing and does not appear to change aerobatics at all. However, it just looks at it's best doing smooth fast and slow low passes.
Dec 11, 2015, 11:54 AM
Registered User
How about some details on your landing gear? I'm giving one of these some serious thought, but a belly lander is a non-starter for me. Thanks!

Dave
Dec 11, 2015, 12:12 PM
Xpress..'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson View Post
My own Twinstar II has been flying in brushless form for nearly three years. I use 8 X 4 counter turning wood blades from some ancient Zingers. A pair of 25 amp Phoenix CC ESCs are held in place on the sides of the fuselage just under the wings. Power has remained at 3S 2200 pack.

The undercarriage with steering nose wheel is worth doing and does not appear to change aerobatics at all. However, it just looks at it's best doing smooth fast and slow low passes.
That's a great looking Twin Star!! It reminds me of the Twin Otters they use around here for skydiving airplanes.
Latest blog entry: BLOWOUT SALE round 2!!!!
Dec 11, 2015, 01:31 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
danny.act's Avatar
Number of improvements on the Airframe ?

All that I could find so far are:
- Plastic front motor mounting plate's (bulkheads) replaced with Aluminum motor mounting plate's. Formerly included with the BL-power set
- Original decal set replaced with Barbie style decal set.

I can't see any changes from the original TSII Airframe compared to this BL-edition.

MPX replacement parts numbers for TSII and new BL-edition are still both the same for main airframe, wing, etc...
Last edited by danny.act; Dec 11, 2015 at 01:44 PM.
Dec 11, 2015, 01:33 PM
DFS#000178
Rampage's Avatar
I love twins. Can never have enough twins.

I think this might be a fun stablemate for my 'Mule.
Dec 11, 2015, 01:41 PM
Registered User
Have 5 twin stars all with landing gears, one with retracks. Also have extra wing and installed a pair of ducked fan motors in place of props. Flies great. Two have camera's. One installed in the nose the other in fuse....Bob....
Dec 11, 2015, 02:06 PM
Registered User
Here is mine...

Turnigy 2830/11 1000kv motors with 8x5 HQ Props
30A ESC's
3300mah 4s Lipo
2.3g FPV system
DTF|UHF Control

Flys right out of my hand. No throw needed.

Dec 11, 2015, 02:35 PM
Registered User
Thanks Adrian, answered many questions

1) ??4S
2) Belly Lander??
and a thought
3) a little laminate on bottom for belly landing??


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools