Thread Tools
Dec 09, 2015, 03:34 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Alert

CONTROL YOU: GOOGLE Schmidt wants algorithms to censor Internet for 'hate speech'...


GOOGLE Schmidt wants algorithms to censor Internet for 'hate speech'...

In an op-ed for The New York Times (paywall), Eric Schmidt, the executive chairman of Google, inserted himself directly into the middle of a heated debate about the line between fighting terrorism’s online reach and internet censorship.

“It’s our responsibility to demonstrate that stability and free expression go hand in hand,” he writes. “We should build tools to help de-escalate tensions on social media—sort of like spell-checkers, but for hate and harassment.”
http://qz.com/568580/googles-chairma...r-hate-speech/
Dec 09, 2015, 04:14 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyl
GOOGLE Schmidt wants algorithms to censor Internet for 'hate speech'...

In an op-ed for The New York Times (paywall), Eric Schmidt, the executive chairman of Google, inserted himself directly into the middle of a heated debate about the line between fighting terrorism’s online reach and internet censorship.

“It’s our responsibility to demonstrate that stability and free expression go hand in hand,” he writes. “We should build tools to help de-escalate tensions on social media—sort of like spell-checkers, but for hate and harassment.”
http://qz.com/568580/googles-chairma...r-hate-speech/
I hate Google even more than I hate Apple. So I don't use it.

I use IE. Not that Microsoft is exactly Mother Teresa. And I've got Adblock Plus and Ghostery too. No ads, no tracking. And as it can't load ads or track, it's MUCH faster.

Censorship? The internet is 99% rubbish anyway. And we have other ways to communicate amongst ourselves if we want to be naughty. Impregnable ways. It's not ALL "Use PGP and be satisfied."

How is the USA going to censor stuff between the UK and China? (for example) You can maybe censor your 5% in your 'Land of the Free' but not the other 95%.
Last edited by Mark Powell; Dec 09, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
Dec 09, 2015, 04:30 AM
My faithful companion Tonto
RCWorks's Avatar
So Google is looking to be less popular...Censorship is the path alright...
Latest blog entry: Name my new cat.
Dec 09, 2015, 06:41 AM
Registered User
So why is Trump advocating shutting down the Internet?

From your link:

Quote:
There are some other, less complicated ideas out there for fighting terrorists online. Donald Trump offered at a rally in South Carolina that maybe we should just shut down the internet. Trump said:

We’re losing a lot of people because of the internet. We have to see Bill Gates and a lot of different people that really understand what’s happening. We have to talk to them about, maybe in certain areas, closing that internet up in some ways. Somebody will say, ‘Oh freedom of speech, freedom of speech.’ These are foolish people.
Dec 09, 2015, 08:20 AM
UN Earth peoples true enemy
treehog's Avatar
I use "Ixquick "and "startpage" search engines

https://www.ixquick.com
https://startpage.com/


They dont track you like the CIA owned google does

There exists others but I dont know them

Ralf
Dec 09, 2015, 10:22 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehog
I use "Ixquick "and "startpage" search engines

https://www.ixquick.com
https://startpage.com/


They dont track you like the CIA owned google does

There exists others but I dont know them

Ralf
Right, and they are very good. Just keep in mind that your ISP keeps a total, permanent record of your internet history, and ISP's regularly hand over to government the browsing history of their customers.
Dec 09, 2015, 10:26 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks
So Google is looking to be less popular...Censorship is the path alright...
Amazing isn't it?

Those who are guarded by a gun 24/7 want to take ours.

Those who deal in words on the net want to censor ours.
Dec 09, 2015, 10:32 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyl
Amazing isn't it?

Those who are guarded by a gun 24/7 want to take ours.

Those who deal in words on the net want to censor ours.
Your own link says Trump wants the Internet censored and shut down.
Dec 09, 2015, 10:34 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyl
Right, and they are very good. Just keep in mind that your ISP keeps a total, permanent record of your internet history, and ISP's regularly hand over to government the browsing history of their customers.
Ours don't.

But the gubment is trying to get it past the 'House'. But it's getting so much opposition from even it's own political party so it likely won't happen.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools