KATIE MARTIN TRIBUTE June 4, 2016 - RC Groups
Dec 08, 2015, 09:56 PM
Life is better now
Discussion

KATIE MARTIN TRIBUTE June 4, 2016

Hi Fellow Slope Flyers:

SPECIAL NOTE: THIS YEAR WE WILL HAVE KATIE MARTIN INTERNATIONAL TRIBUTE T-SHIRTS.....SEE POST #74 AND #84 FOR MORE INFO.

It’s that time of year again to announce the 6th Annual Katie Martin Tribute Fly-In. The event in the USA will again be hosted by the Torrey Pines Gulls at the beautiful Torrey Pines Gliderport slope near San Diego on Saturday, June 4th. 
I have not yet confirmed it but again this year, but I hope our good friends in Great Britain, Spain and Venezuela will be holding Tributes to Katie also.
The last three years were a truly international event and my sincere thanks to everyone, here and overseas that came together to honor Katie.

Many will show up on Friday, check out their aircraft and get a little flying in before the Tribute to Katie. You are invited to join in the fun if you can make it.

JUNE 4th IS THE OFFICIAL DAY OF TRIBUTE TO KATIE. FLYING BEGINS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND AT 12 NOON PST. WE BEGIN WITH THE READING OF THE DEDICATION AND WE WILL HAVE THE OFFICIAL MOMENT OF SILENCE, FOLLOWED BY THE FLYING OF KATIE'S ORIGINAL HOBIE HAWK WITH HER ASHES IN THE NOSE. WE THEN INVITE EVERYONE TO JOIN IN FLYING WITH KATIE. THE REST OF THE DAY WILL BE OPEN FLYING. A RAFFLE WILL BE HELD IN THE AFTERNOON.

Here is a map on how to get to the Gliderport if you do not know. This link came from the Torrey Pines Gulls web site: 
http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/torr...s-glider-port/

This year wanted to get the word out even earlier so those that wish to attend will have time to make arrangements and those overseas can begin planning too. 

I encourage you all to make plans to attend and let know what you will be bringing. Remember, this event is to honor Katie and enjoy a day of flying, food, fun, raffle, meeting old friends and making new ones. Any brand of sailplane is welcome.

If you wish to know more about the beginning and history of the Katie Martin Tribute click  HERE.

Watch for more news and comments on this thread soon.

Bob Martin

For those that may not know about Torrey Pines and the rules to fly there.....let me assure you, it is easy and really worth the effort. 
Now for the rules of flying Torrey Pines. Here are the rules and requirements: 

1) Current proof of AMA membership
2) There is an insurance waiver that must be signed before flying. This is done at the flight shack at the south portion of the Gliderport. This takes about 10 minutes and normally results in writers cramp if done properly.
3) The cost of your share of the insurance burden is $10.00/day or $200.00/year for unlimited access. This will be paid when you accomplish item #4.
4) You must sign in on the flying roster at the counter in the flight shack with your name, AMA # and the date of expiration of AMA. You will be required to show your card to the administration person at the counter.

Torrey Pines is an active airport and must follow stringent rules, plus it is a park in the city of San Diego who requires these rules to be in place.
Most of you that will be attending are most likely not Gulls members, and are not rated to fly at Torrey Pines.

You are however allowed to fly Torrey as a Gulls guest as long as all of the above requirements are met. You must have a Gulls member as a spotter at all times if you fly as a guest.

You can also join the club and get a rating and fly unattended.

You must have a qualified Gull to give you a rating. Ratings simple to acquire and only take about 20 minutes or so.

If you have any questions of comments on flying Torrey Pines, please direct them to Ray Pili (Rockbus)(TPG Slope Coordinator) Also check out the Gulls web site, ( http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/ ) it is a very nice site with quite a bit of information.
Last edited by bob57hdt; Apr 17, 2016 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Add info
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2015, 11:55 PM
Faster is Better
Bob,

I wish you the best with the Katie Martin Tribute fly and thank you for all of your hard work and contributions to the RC Slope community.

Ken
Dec 11, 2015, 09:40 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Sounds like fun, I missed it last year, but I should be able to make it this year.

Dave
Dec 12, 2015, 01:45 PM
Old Master, New Grasshopper
I think I'll make the run down ... HOBIES in tow..
Dec 13, 2015, 11:55 AM
Should be another great event. On my calendar.
Dec 14, 2015, 11:23 PM
Faster is Better

SR-7 hanging out

here are a couple of pics showing where my SR-7 hangs out.
Dec 15, 2015, 03:28 PM
Life is better now

Merry christmas

I would like to offer my sincere best wishes to all of you that follow this thread. It is the Holiday season, near the end of this year and our hopes for a better next year.
Whatever your feelings this time of year, I would like to offer you my very best wishes for a MERRY CHRISTMAS.

To all a MERRY CHRISTMAS and to all good lift!

Bob
Dec 15, 2015, 10:55 PM
Hi Bob,
I've never attended this event, but would love to come down next June. Thank you for the open invite and opportunity to share this memorial.
Models I'll bring:
Hobie Hawk
Grand Esprit
Jasco Floater G110
Super Hawk (if completed)

Kind regards,
John Cole
Dec 16, 2015, 09:02 AM
Life is better now
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cole
Hi Bob,
I've never attended this event, but would love to come down next June. Thank you for the open invite and opportunity to share this memorial.
Models I'll bring:
Hobie Hawk
Grand Esprit
Jasco Floater G110
Super Hawk (if completed)

Kind regards,
John Cole
John,
I fair trip down to join us. Really looking forward to seeing you and flying with you. We will be flying the "Katie" look a like Superhawk so get to work and finish your's....plenty of time.
Bob
Dec 19, 2015, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob57hdt
We will be flying the "Katie" look a like Superhawk so get to work and finish your's....plenty of time.
Bob
"I shall strive to be worthy of my post"

Thanks Bob. Yes, I do have plenty of time, so no excuses. The most difficult problem I've had with the SH is figuring out a color scheme for it.
John
Dec 19, 2015, 09:40 AM

John

Quote:
"I shall strive to be worthy of my post"

Thanks Bob. Yes, I do have plenty of time, so no excuses. The most difficult problem I've had with the SH is figuring out a color scheme for it.
John
Which version of the SuperHawk are you building, G1 or G3 ?

Curt
Dec 19, 2015, 12:50 PM
She's Flying Again

Super Hawk G3

Curt,
You need to have your beautiful G3 their next year.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwhite

Curt
Dec 19, 2015, 12:54 PM

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly-by-night
Curt,
You need to have your beautiful G3 their next year.

Steve
Thanks Steve
Hope to be there with the G3 and maybe a shadow
Dec 19, 2015, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwhite

Curt
Hi Curt;
My SH is of the latest production run. I'm not positive which designation it is.
I'll bring mine if you bring yours!

John
Dec 19, 2015, 07:00 PM
She's Flying Again

Super Hawk G1

John,
If you have this latest run from Tony he would tell you it is a G1. That being said if you whole rudder moves (same as a Hobie) she is a G1. Now the G3 has a much larger wing cord and also has a formed in the mould rudder front section. Maybe Curt can post a picture of his G3?
Hope this helps?

Steve

Quote:
Hi Curt;
My SH is of the latest production run. I'm not positive which designation it is.
I'll bring mine if you bring yours!

John