Dec 07, 2015, 06:07 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
Build Log

Xcalibur Sport Jet build with Sprint Jet parts

I picked up my replacement jet for my Sprint that went in a couple of months ago..Darn Power Lines

So I know have a NIB Xcalibur. Many have said that a P80se wont fit.. but it has in fact been done already with great success.

Also many have said that the Sprint gear will fit... but you need to do extra work. What this means I have no idea as no one has posted this info.. they just say it works
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2015, 09:50 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
Shall we begin..

So I have the original Boomerang Sprint Gear. Prolinks Not my fav to be honest as all the weight is off to one side and not centred. But they are in my possession and that is saving me almost $700 for the gear that is recommended for the Xcalibur Thats $50 less than the plane cost http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...ng-Gear-System

There IS one more way to get around the very expensive cost of buying landing gear... For that, check out my blog

As always during my builds, I prefer to let the pictures do the talking.
Dec 12, 2015, 11:29 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
EDIT<<< it turns out this thread is about to go sideways LOL I was looking threw my parts box and found a set of new Prolink retracts.. and when looking at what I was trying install(look at photos) it turns out that they are not prolink at all, and I actually have no idea what they are. They however do fit better than the prolink as the prolink would have to be cut and new holes re-drilled. Ill stick with what ever was in my sprint as they work and fit with less mods.
Dec 12, 2015, 01:01 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
And there ya go.. A little bit of dremeling and they fit right in. Just need to run the air lines. On to the Nose gear
Dec 27, 2015, 09:57 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
Well this puppy is on hold till JetCat gets their act together.

Not much left to do but install servos and the engine.

So in the mean time.. Im headed back to work on my scratch build. Check out my blog for details.. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=221926
Jan 29, 2016, 09:10 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
Well 15 weeks later... And I'm still waiting for jetcat to replace the bearings and can on my p80se...wow their service SUCKS!
Jan 31, 2016, 11:54 AM
that's nice to know you can use the gear from the sprint great info
Jan 31, 2016, 12:02 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
Yes you can.. but be careful to re-read what I said. You will have to make some slight modifications
Feb 13, 2016, 10:46 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
My Kingtech K100G showed up a couple of weeks ago so I will be using that since there is no sign of my JC getting back to me anytime soon, even though I have waited over 3 months for it!!! I would have preferred to use the P-80se because it is gas start and easier to start on cool days(winter here now) and because on diesel the 80 has more power.
Mar 23, 2016, 09:59 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
It took 4 months for jetcat to return my engine!!! Never again. I sold it immediately.

I've gone ahead and installed the k100g.
Mar 23, 2016, 06:04 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
A few more.
May 20, 2016, 01:47 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
So i decided to keep my Blue Angel X

The big problem I was having was it tendency to climb above half throttle. I fixed that soon enough by adding 4* up to the stab, but then(not surprisingly with a down thrust engine ) I noticed that the grass was getting burned in our pit area. Not Good! For Sale!! But I decided to give it one more shot. The Boomer Sprint jets never needed down thrust.. so why should this plane?? I took a chance and I leveled off the engine with the thrust line and took her up. I fully expected the plane to climb to the moon and was praying I had enough down trim to compensate... this was not the case. It flew very well actually. I will add another 1* up(for a down effect) to the horizontal stab.. but otherwise, It just doesn't need Down Thrust!!! So why do these so and so designers put it into the design?? There is no chance what so ever of it burning the tail or the thrust pulling the tail into the plume making it climb. I just dont get why they would design a jet that they KNOW will burn the grass and thus hurt sales, when there is no need for it.
Last edited by vettster; Sep 10, 2016 at 05:47 PM.
May 21, 2016, 03:30 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
I got her out today for 2 more flights. Its now bang on! hands off the sticks at any speed. All I had to do was add 4mm to the front of the stab...who knew(gigantic rolling eyes)

Thats 3mm if you leave the grass burner angle that is not necessary, in the engine.

Or 4mm if you mount the engine straight and level with the thrust line.

Getting back to work on correcting the canopy now.

The stock canopy is so weak. Its like a tin can and I have no idea how it holds its shape. I added two formers to the back of the stock canopy for added strength when the plane is on its back to work on the gear etc.

I am currently making molds for a more sleek design.. and one that wont be so weak. I dont like the looks of the stock one as it looks more like a bottle nose dolphin than a jet

All and all... HobbyKing did a pretty good job with this model.
Last edited by vettster; May 21, 2016 at 03:47 PM.
Jun 07, 2016, 07:37 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Thread OP
So as you guys may know by now, Im not thrilled with the looks of the Stock Canopy or that its so flimsy and weak, so I decided to make my own. Its a much more sleeker design and the air tanks still sit on top of the fuel tank. Its now made of Aeropoxy epoxy and MUCH stronger.

Since I do have a mold.. I can make more than one. Send me a PM if your interested in one

Last edited by vettster; Jun 14, 2016 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply