Jul 23, 2004, 11:01 PM
RC Addict
Thread OP

Hummingbird CP, Direct drive tail motor, or dual tail motors?

I just broke my high authority direct drive tail motor (EDP-50xc), and i was wondering what you guys think is a better choice. Should I buy replace my direct drive, or get the Like90 dual tail motor add-on. I'm using Like90 CP260's so I would also need the longer boom if I did the dual tail motor add-on.

all opinions welcome..

James
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2004, 11:23 PM
Hi

Some say the dual motor is the way to go and some say it is too heavy. IMHO, dual motor do prolonge the stock motor configuration by double or more but there are some disadvantage:
1 - Geared Drive is slower than Direct Drive.
2 - Heavier than stock... Whether is heavier than EDP-50xc or DD using CN12-RXC or not, i not sure.
3 - It is still brushes and therefore it will still wear out the brushess after long use.

Another alternative but it will be more expensive to start with and more work to be done starting/creating it is to go brushless tail motor.

If u ask me, I would recommend you to go brushless if u already know how to hover and familiar with your chopper. Else, just get another motor and replace it for the time being.

Super-Hornet
Jul 24, 2004, 01:11 AM
RC Addict
Thread OP
i have built multiple cd-rom brushless motors.. but i really don't want to buy another pheonix 10, and have to build a new motor... I'll stick to brushed for a little while longer. The brushes didn't wear out on my last motor.. i had a throttle glitch which brought down my heli, and caused a boom strike.. the tail motor took the brunt of the hit, and it suffered some damage.. one of the brushes actuallt broke away from the end-cap.. i would replace the endcap, but i doubt they are available.

Here's my current setup:
Hummingbird Elite CP
Himax 2015-4100
CC pheonix 10
2S Irate 1100
GY401 HH gyro
Direct drive tail motor(dead)
Griffin 10 tail motor controller
Like90 CP260 blades
Threaded, lightened flybar paddles
MIA streamlined frame add-on with tuff-struts

James
Last edited by raceachevy; Jul 24, 2004 at 01:16 AM.
Jul 24, 2004, 01:56 AM
Hi,

One alternative you might try is a ducted fan setup. I've been using one for about two months now on my hummingbird. It has more than enough trust and you don't really have to worry about a tail strike.
Jul 24, 2004, 04:35 AM
Has anyone tried the motor that goes into model train..it is a German made 12 volts motor of high quality. I heard but have not seen it, the same size as the stock tail motor.

Quick Reply