Thread OP
Good man, Curtis.

Many thanks!

There you go guys.

to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2015, 10:04 AM
Yorgos Stratakis
Thread OP
Planning on the radio layout, I have some trouble on what to do with the ballast tube (or rod - who knows).

Fuselage already has a hole for the holding bolt placed at the back of the canopy opening with a large distance between it and the wing's LE. I could place the tube beginning from the canopy but this gives me a tiny and limited area to place my main battery, as I was planning initially.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dec 10, 2015, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratigio
Planning on the radio layout, I have some trouble on what to do with the ballast tube (or rod - who knows).

Fuselage already has a hole for the holding bolt placed at the back of the canopy opening with a large distance between it and the wing's LE. I could place the tube beginning from the canopy but this gives me a tiny and limited area to place my main battery, as I was planning initially.

Well you can use the tube if you can balance the model with the battery forward. I'm not familiar with the electric shadow, where do the servos go?
Dec 10, 2015, 01:23 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
I'd suggest you dry fit all your gear and then check the CG. If the Shadow is anything like the Xplorer you could use the following:
Motor + - 100 grams
Battery 3S 850mAh
Servos 9 grams
ESC 45 to 60 amp

With this setup everything fits under the canopy with room under the wing for the ballast tube. This is guess work on my part because I've not built a new Shadow yet.

Best,
Jim

Quote:

Dec 10, 2015, 02:55 PM
dare to thermal
Quote:
1174gr (37.75oz) is far from a heavy (for windy days) glider I was planning on.
Light doesn´t mean not strong... Do you got any information about the maximum load from your supplier? e.g. full F3J launch in 10m/s wind

/Bernd
Dec 10, 2015, 04:49 PM
Yorgos Stratakis
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwjoon
Well you can use the tube if you can balance the model with the battery forward. I'm not familiar with the electric shadow, where do the servos go?
Snakes reach all the way to the front of the canopy opening but can be cut wherever is convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frahm
I'd suggest you dry fit all your gear and then check the CG. If the Shadow is anything like the Xplorer you could use the following:
Motor + - 100 grams
Battery 3S 850mAh
Servos 9 grams
ESC 45 to 60 amp

With this setup everything fits under the canopy with room under the wing for the ballast tube. This is guess work on my part because I've not built a new Shadow yet.

Best,
Jim
Your suggestion is actually the plan, to balance with all gear dry-fitted as I usually do, but I need some items to fill the list (like gearbox, spinner etc) which are already on their way here.
Mainly because of the extended length of the fuselage -from the wing and on- as also because of the exceeding height (giving me room to fit more items upwards), I was planning to go with an arrangement as bellow:
Gearbox+motor (130gr)
Servo tray with the servos laying horizontally. Above that goes RX with Altis right next to it. I'm using an in-runner motor so all cabling from RX can fit on the left and right of it.
Battery (heavier, since a lots of Amps on motor) with ESC standing on the fuselage wall right next to the battery. That spot is exactly under the rear end of the canopy opening where tube's end should be. There's what I mostly worry about, not having enough clearance for the bigger battery I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Brunner
Light doesn´t mean not strong... Do you got any information about the maximum load from your supplier? e.g. full F3J launch in 10m/s wind

/Bernd
I wasn't understood. No worries about strength at all.

Unfortunately NAN doesn't give any info on their models. Any intelligence comes from this forum, owner friends and an old German assembly manual I got from another friend.
(wing is marked for f5j use only on my electric version)

Dec 10, 2015, 07:13 PM
solastagia
With that light of a tail, I'd be very surprised if it isn't quite nose heavy with a 135g motor, a 1800mAh battery, and the servos in the nose too.

I'm in the midst of a light X2 e-conversion, and your nose dimension looks similar. Even with a 90g gear motor, and a 106g 1300mAh battery, I am putting the servos in the fin to get the battery under the canopy without tail weight. Maybe your boom is much longer, and it will balance?

Kevin
Last edited by kcaldwel; Dec 10, 2015 at 07:43 PM.
Dec 11, 2015, 04:52 AM
Yorgos Stratakis
Thread OP
Boom measures about 98cm from wing's TE. That's about 5cm longer than the previous version's.

Nose is @40cm from LE.

Hope that elongation makes the difference.

Dec 11, 2015, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Boom measures about 98cm from wing's TE. That's about 5cm longer than the previous version's.

Nose is @40cm from LE.

Hope that elongation makes the difference.

First impression, it are the same dimentions as a X3 fuse. Noses are definitely the same.
I help you hoping
My personal advice, first put it on a ballance with the disired cg and leave some playroom to put the cg far more aft as the previous version.

BTW, beautiful plane! Love the new tail. It is I already bought a 3.5 otherwise this could be my windy weather plane.

Johnny
Dec 11, 2015, 11:59 AM
Yorgos Stratakis
Thread OP
I made a servo plate today at work, as a trial to bring my plan to life.

Didn't go bad, fitting is even looser than I thought and if I go this way, I think there's a margin for a larger variety of mAhs on my battery.

I still have to figure out how I'm going to leave the space between LE and canopy empty of any ballast tube bulk in case battery needs to move further back.

Dec 13, 2015, 02:01 PM
Yorgos Stratakis
Thread OP
Hallelujah!

Epiphany came from above and I got the solution to my dilemma.

"From the above" is metaphorically as long as literally (in a geographical perspective), since Mrs Radina from NAN came in contact with me and with a couple of pictures gave light to my blindness.

The idea was so plain and straight that my unduly loaded with exotic ballast mechanisms mind could catch its simplicity.

A plain metal rail! A 2cm width, measured (depending on the final CoG) at about 50cm. That simple.

On a second thought, I realize that it can also take a slight bend accordingly to my exact needs.

Thanks for the kindness to share this, Radina.

Dec 16, 2015, 05:31 PM
Yorgos Stratakis
Thread OP
Taking a closer look on the new set of tails, the first thing one notices is the gigantic spanned horizontal(830mm), separated from the fin and placed on a pylon right in front of it. It is not all-moving anymore and the elevator is almost half of its chord (135mm).

The ease of mounting, for both (horizontal and fin) tail's surfaces is exceptional. Very much alike Explorer's on the pushrod-horn connection. Just two screws on the elevator, some scotch tape on the fin and you're ready.

Fin is about 345mm tall with a chord of 170mm.

Xmas is putting an extra workload on post offices and seems like I'm getting any of the gear I'm expecting a bit later than usual. So I didn't move my build at all, except cutting some servo-frames at work and making some trials on the ballast. I also fixed the canopy locking system.

Last edited by Stratigio; Dec 17, 2015 at 06:44 AM.
Dec 17, 2015, 03:57 PM
Yorgos Stratakis
Thread OP
I'm using Hyperion servos all over the glider, so I milled some servo frames for the wings and a plate with a cover to use in the fuselage.

If things balance as I initially planed, every small gap under the canopy must be exploited.

Dec 29, 2015, 10:24 PM
On post #28 I can see a "special" wrench ...
By that wrench I can figure out you have a MicroEdition on it... and it is a very good sign...
Reisenauer is the best drive!

André

Quick Reply