Jul 23, 2004, 01:37 PM
Thread OP

Playing around....a bit with scale.

Some times I just need a break from serious scale. Burn out can happen as many know. So it`s nice to just slam something together and put the "perfection" thing aside.

These are two very contrasting models to say the least. Both are "park flyers".
The Farman is big, lumbering, and slow. 4 Channel with can motor (mag mayhem geared).

Now this is interesting: the fairchild (guillows) is electric free-flight,......in a sense. There are no servos! Just a 5 amp GWS esc, rcx. To turn right you cut the throttle.To turn left you pin it. To fly straight you cruise. Climbing and decending is a combo of the above. Flys great. This pic shows the fairchild with CO 2 motor. It was replaced with direct drive IPS.

Cheers

Warren
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2004, 01:42 PM
Thread OP

Another pic

Nice size comparison. Cheap gear and build.
Jul 23, 2004, 01:45 PM
Thread OP

One more

Still can`t believe how the little Fairchild flys. It only ways about 3.5 oz.

Cheers

Warren
Jul 23, 2004, 02:30 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
That's a neat idea. How'd you trim it? Motor torque to turn left and a little right rudder trim to turn right, like the old freeflight method?
Jul 23, 2004, 02:34 PM
Warren, Both models look great! One of the best flying rubber free flights I ever had was the little Guillows Fairchild. I still have it, but since the rubber broke and exploded the tail it hasn't flown. One of these days I'm going to convert it to R/C.
PAT
Jul 23, 2004, 04:33 PM
Thread OP

To Gerald and Pat

Gerald

Yes, right rudder but motor is straight to thrust line with a little down. You can use masking tape at first to find out the trim you need then shrink/bend in some deflection.

Pat,

I have the Dumas "Mr Mulligan"(30") sitting here on my bench. Does this model make a good RC project? The only thing that concerns me is the shallow wing cord.

Cheers

Warren
Jul 23, 2004, 05:05 PM
Single-task at best...
Warren,

Love that big Farman!

Have you seen Peter Rake's S400 version?

tim
Jul 23, 2004, 09:40 PM
Warren, The 30" Mulligan makes an EXCELLANT R/C conversion. I have almost 40 flights on mine now and really like the way it flies. The key is weight. The 3 basic rules are 1-take weight out, 2- don't add weight, and 3 add lightness
Actually, it's not as bad as all that I built the airframe straight from the box, only adding the hinge spars at the tail section, provisions for the radio equipment and motor mount. Cover is Nelson Lightfilm, the wheels are DuBro Lights.
The equipment used was 2 Cirruss CS-4.9 servos, a Jeti 05 ESC, a GWS IPS drive with 4:1 ratio and 8-6 prop, an Electron 6 RX and a 340 mah 2 cell Lipo. All up weight is 6.5 oz.
I was really sirprized at just how well the model flies. I've also done the Aeronca C-3, and it flies even better. Don't let the small size scare you, but don't let them get heavy either. For the whole build thread on the Mulligan, search "Dumas is Listening, 30" Mr. Mulligan conversion"
PAT
Jul 24, 2004, 09:56 AM
Trampling out the vintage
Very nice models. I see you have ailerons on your Farman - let us know how those perform when you fly.

Quick Reply