Dec 04, 2015, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Introduction F5J build

I finished up my OlyII SX and it is doing well at the field.

I am starting a Hollein Introduction F5J build, intended to be a calm wind super floater. That's my story and I am sticking to it. Regardless, I ordered the kit, received it without issue and the attached is a start at a build log. If...if there is any interest I will continue to document and post. I am not a fast builder and life gets in the way but will continue if folks are interested.

The kit, in short, is amazing. See the attachment

Enjoy !
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2015, 12:11 AM
If it flies - I want one!

Looking good!

The kit and build look very interesting - particularly as I struggle slowly with a cruddy Australian laser-cut 'kit' of a very simple two-channel soarer - nuffink fits nuffink!
Link to the kit source please? On second thoughts, off to Google!
Cheers,
PeteM
Dec 05, 2015, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Peter:

http://www.hoelleinshop.com/introduc...=12327&p=12327

enjoy
Dec 05, 2015, 04:47 PM

Thank you!

Will follow the build with interest.
Dec 06, 2015, 08:06 PM
.: Looking for Thermals :.
Are you going to post your progress step-by-step or publishing Word docs?

Regards.
Dec 06, 2015, 08:47 PM
Thread OP
I tried the Word doc and am not sure how to do it without having to go into word. Regardless, I have been taking more photos and will continue shortly. Any suggestions on posting appreciated.

Thanks
Dec 06, 2015, 11:22 PM
Thread OP
Additional progress. I am assuming... interested parties are not having an issue opening the Word doc. Let me know if there is an issue.
Dec 07, 2015, 12:20 AM

Word OK here

I have no difficulties with the Word format, actually makes it easy to save a sneaky copy for later reference!
If you want to play with posting pics and captions, scroll down the panel while you are replying and click on 'Drag files here or click to browse'; from there you can select images on your computer, and caption/order them as required.
On hinging, do you expect any problems covering across the silicone hinge line?
The kitting looks excellent - makes for an enjoyable build!
Cheers,
PeteM
Dec 07, 2015, 11:25 AM
Thread OP
PeteM... I did a quick trial run with the silicone hinges taking care not to "over do it" with heat on covering. Read: didn't over heat the crap out of it to prove a point. No issues.
Enjoy,
Kurt
Dec 11, 2015, 02:17 PM
Thread OP

Intro build

Progress, or more accurately, slow progress based on the holidays.
Dec 13, 2015, 04:35 PM
Moving along nicely - looking forward to the wing build.
Dec 13, 2015, 07:52 PM
Thread OP

Introduction - more

Continuing on.... slowly.... holidays are interruption centric.
Dec 15, 2015, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
Wing joiners...
Dec 15, 2015, 05:00 PM

Fascinating!

That joiner system is very interesting - a novel way of mating large CF tubes end-to-end!
Dec 15, 2015, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
Yes...on multiple accounts. The six piece joiner utilizes the two end pieces, one with the hole at the top, the other with a hole at the bottom. When the brass tube is inserted through both holes the angle is set. The end pieces have different locking points so you can't mount them backwards. In addition, the side piece on one side mounts at the same angle as the tube, again, supporting the concept that the wing angles are predetermined. Once epoxy is applied it's a done deal. It's not going anywhere. Now...if your into making your own angles... probably not the way to do it. However, if you like the design, it works. I also like the laser cut plywood angle measurement devices. Simple, easy, incredibly cheap and easy to do and a part of a well though out design. The fiberglass end joiner works well too. It's all built with a .003 interference fit so that gaps are eliminated.
Last edited by kurtataltos; Dec 15, 2015 at 10:13 PM.

Quick Reply