DIY $40 + Phone FPV Goggles - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Dec 04, 2015, 03:03 PM
Registered User
Discussion

DIY $40 + Phone FPV Goggles


This is a full DIY goggle implementation to concept introduced in the EasyCap thread.

So I've been using the Easycap FPV solution for while now and been pretty happy with it. I had my Easycap, 832 receiver and receiver battery cable tied to a pvc pole that I bungeed to the back of a folding chair. Then I ran a USB extension cable to my goggle/phone.

Recently, Banggood.com offered me a sample of their Eachine mini receiver for review. This was a good opportunity to integrate the Easycap system into standalone goggle system. I am very happy with the end result.

Here is my review the Eachine ER 32 mini receiver: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=17

Parts I used:
3D VR Goggles
Easycap w/ UTV007 chip
OTG Cable - any capable w/ your device
Eachine 32 channel mini receiver
CP Receiver Antenna, better than the supplied rubber duckie antenna
2S Receiver battery - any will do

Wiring the Eachine receiver to the Easycap was surprisingly easy as the supplied receiver video output cable fits directly into the Easycap circuit board socket. I just removed the audio lead from the receiver cable.

I'm using a Moto G 1st gen phone as the display and have measured approximately 0.13 seconds of latency. Probably too much for FPV racing but for general flying, you won't notice it.

I found my phone was slightly out of focus using the VR goggles and hot glued some Dollar Store 1.5x reading glasses on top of the goggle lenses.

Some notes about the Easycap Viewer app:
-Android only
-It is the only app that I'm aware of that supports video for Side By Side (SBS) view which is needed for 3D VR goggle compatibility
-It is not compatible phones or tables that use the Mediatek chipset
-Device must support USB host function
-Does not record audio
*I suggest you get the Easycap and OTG cable first to make sure it is capable w/ your device (Easycap Viewer documentation lists a variety of phones that have already been tested)

Potential future modifications:
-I've got a $1 MT36098 voltage booster on order from Ebay. I hope to eliminate the 2S battery by powering the receiver off the phone's 5V USB power boosted to ~9vdc. Update: I tried this but the phone's usb circuit couldn't power the booster + receiver, so I'll stick with the battery.
-Consider removing division plate between lenses and try not using SBS view. Perhaps stock lenses will have to be removed and a fresnel lenses installed. This would allow other apps to be used and perhaps Apple phones.


For about $40 in parts + your phone, this makes for a very inexpensive FPV solution. I prefer the picture quality over the budget Fat Shark goggles which cost over 4 times more. And they are more compact than the Quanum V2 and cost less.

Update 1/23/16: See last 4 pictures where I moved all the components to inside the case. The battery, receiver and Easycap are not in your field of view when looking into the goggles. Now a very clean design.
Last edited by Sympster; Jan 23, 2016 at 10:38 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2015, 06:04 PM
Registered User
Sweet stuff man! I actually pretty much have the same components lying around and I am hoping to make similar goggles. I am going a bit of a opposite way of you tho in that I am going to have a standalone battery.

I am going to use my phone as the viewer so I want to drain the phones battery as low as possibly. The ER32 actually has a 5V out doesn't it? If I wanted to get tricky I could solder that to the USB 5V to power the easycap...I am not sure if I will do that tho
Dec 04, 2015, 09:53 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweano
Sweet stuff man! I actually pretty much have the same components lying around and I am hoping to make similar goggles. I am going a bit of a opposite way of you tho in that I am going to have a standalone battery.

I am going to use my phone as the viewer so I want to drain the phones battery as low as possibly. The ER32 actually has a 5V out doesn't it? If I wanted to get tricky I could solder that to the USB 5V to power the easycap...I am not sure if I will do that tho
Yes, but the 5v output is closer to 4.2v which is below the USB standard. Maybe it will still work, let us know if you try it.
Dec 13, 2015, 08:15 PM
Registered User
ludorc's Avatar
You can still use a voltage regulator such as Pololu if you need to StepUp to solid 5V.
Dec 13, 2015, 08:16 PM
Registered User
ludorc's Avatar
Other Nice and free FPV appli for android and EasyCap:
https://plus.google.com/112518806102...ts/7Xj6dFKgcvv
Dec 15, 2015, 05:40 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludorc
Other Nice and free FPV appli for android and EasyCap:
https://plus.google.com/112518806102...ts/7Xj6dFKgcvv
That app looks promising but I can't get it to work with my EasyCap UTV007. The developer also states it won't work with an EasyCap on his blog but there are several variants so I was hoping mine would. Did you get it to work?

http://nathan.vertile.com/blog/2015/...goggles/#phone
Dec 16, 2015, 05:26 PM
Registered User
ludorc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sympster
That app looks promising but I can't get it to work with my EasyCap UTV007. The developer also states it won't work with an EasyCap on his blog but there are several variants so I was hoping mine would. Did you get it to work?

http://nathan.vertile.com/blog/2015/...goggles/#phone
Yep, it works on my MotoG 2013 phone.
Is your phone OTG compatible ?
Is your phone NOT having a Mediatek CPU?
Have you installed the EasyCap driver on your phone?
Are yoy sure your EasyCap is a UTV007 chip?
Dec 16, 2015, 08:25 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludorc
Yep, it works on my MotoG 2013 phone.
Is your phone OTG compatible ?
Is your phone NOT having a Mediatek CPU?
Have you installed the EasyCap driver on your phone?
Are yoy sure your EasyCap is a UTV007 chip?
Yes to all of the above and I'm also using a MotoG 2013. The app just stops responding and Android asks to close it. It never shows a image. I'll keep trying.
Jan 23, 2016, 10:30 AM
Registered User
Update : See last 4 pictures in Post #1 where I moved all the components to inside the case. The battery, receiver and Easycap are not in your field of view when looking into the goggles. Now a very clean design.
Mar 23, 2016, 07:22 AM
BoyDrone

Been looking for this for quite some time!


I've been looking for a good solution to use my phone as my FPV screen for awhile. I figure we have these high res phones in our pockets all day, may as well use it as a screen and video recorder for this hobby!

its great that you've used the banggood goggles, but I wanted to follow up on this and find out if you've managed to get the output to work without the divider in the middle. I recently purchased the quanum v2 kit and I want to try this with those goggles but its just a direct view of the screen vs. a "3D" perspective of two separate images.

Keep us posted on the progress! I may just have to purchase a kit like this soon as an upgrade!
Mar 23, 2016, 08:35 AM
Registered User
Haven't looked at this thread in awhile...but I did try that other app and it works great! I did have to get a UVC adapter tho instead of easycap. It worked great until I tried to direct solder to cable to the board and then no worky! So I bought a new cable and a new UVC and I may just use them with the usb connector. I too did the the components inside. When I eventually get everything working I will post some pics

Side note, the GoFPV app is free! I wish I would have gone that route in the first place
Mar 23, 2016, 12:00 PM
BoyDrone
I couldn't seem to find the GoFPV app anywhere... But there does seem to be quite a number of free variants of video capture apps to try out.
Mar 23, 2016, 06:16 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSilvia
I wanted to follow up on this and find out if you've managed to get the output to work without the divider in the middle. I recently purchased the quanum v2 kit and I want to try this with those goggles but its just a direct view of the screen vs. a "3D" perspective of two separate images.

Keep us posted on the progress! I may just have to purchase a kit like this soon as an upgrade!
I'm still using them in side by side (SBS) screen mode with the Easycap app. I would like to remove the divider and use the phone's full resolution but I'm concerned the "cross-eye" effect of using a fresnel or other magnifier lens in a relatively short distance between eyes, lens, and screen. I'm tempted to try the lenses from a project like this:
http://www.banggood.com/4-Lens-Headb...-p-950353.html
But know I might have to space the phone / display further way from the lens in order for it to focus. Perhaps you can double up the lens. We really need an optical specialist to help us understand the focal distances and the challenges involved.

Could you measure the distance from your eyes to the lens to the screen on your Quanum V2 and report back? I believe the V2 has a 3X fresnel lens.


As for the Go FPV app, check out this:

https://plus.google.com/112518806102...ts/7Xj6dFKgcvv

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...le.fpv3d&hl=en
Last edited by Sympster; Mar 23, 2016 at 06:22 PM.
Mar 23, 2016, 10:15 PM
BoyDrone
I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier... But I'm going to try it tomorrow. The thought came to mind after I posted. I can just throw my phone into the quanum v2 goggles and see what it looks like. That should replicate fpv awhile I'm waiting for the easycap to arrive.

Also, I wouldn't over complicate the matter with optical engineering, although it would be interesting. I can measure the distances if you'd like tomorrow as well, it won't take long, but there are three different lenses and the lenses are adjustable as well.

Stay frosty!
Mar 24, 2016, 06:36 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweano
Haven't looked at this thread in awhile...but I did try that other app and it works great! I did have to get a UVC adapter tho instead of easycap. It worked great until I tried to direct solder to cable to the board and then no worky! So I bought a new cable and a new UVC and I may just use them with the usb connector. I too did the the components inside. When I eventually get everything working I will post some pics

Side note, the GoFPV app is free! I wish I would have gone that route in the first place
Can you share the link to the UVC adaptor you bought? Also, have you measured the latency with that setup? I measured 130mS using the UTV007, Easycap app, Eachine ER32 receiver, Eachine ET200 transmitter, 700tvl CCD camera.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools