Thread Tools
Dec 04, 2015, 09:52 PM
I'd rather be flying
QuadMcFly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind
Try and say that to blheli and simonk users and developers.
Given that I have heavily tested almost every major ESC on the market, I'd say that neither SimonK or BLHeli would have much to improve on what the KISS already has in it's firmware. There are improvements in thrust on some newer ESCs, but not in terms of smoothness. I'm actually active in testing pre-releases of BLHeli regularly, and I love it. I don't want to give the impression that I think it's not good. It's excellent. I just don't think BLHeli on the same hardware would be an improvement over the stock KISS firmware. Especially since try as we might, none of the open source firmwares have been able to implement hardware PWM output yet, though from what Steffen is saying BLHeli is very close.

What I'm trying to say is that the KISS do so well on the stock firmware there's really not the need to spend the effort to write custom firmware for an already extremely well performing ESC.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2015, 09:59 PM
Just another FPV addicted teen
EpicRC's Avatar
subbed
Dec 04, 2015, 10:21 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadMcFly
Given that I have heavily tested almost every major ESC on the market, I'd say that neither SimonK or BLHeli would have much to improve on what the KISS already has in it's firmware. There are improvements in thrust on some newer ESCs, but not in terms of smoothness. I'm actually active in testing pre-releases of BLHeli regularly, and I love it. I don't want to give the impression that I think it's not good. It's excellent. I just don't think BLHeli on the same hardware would be an improvement over the stock KISS firmware. Especially since try as we might, none of the open source firmwares have been able to implement hardware PWM output yet, though from what Steffen is saying BLHeli is very close.

What I'm trying to say is that the KISS do so well on the stock firmware there's really not the need to spend the effort to write custom firmware for an already extremely well performing ESC.
People used to say the same about the stock firmware before Simon came along.
Dec 04, 2015, 10:25 PM
I'd rather be flying
QuadMcFly's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracernz
People used to say the same about the stock firmware before Simon came along.
I don't think anyone ever accused the stock BS12A firmware of being higher performance Maybe they did though, that was a bit before my time!

Anyway, if anyone wants to take whack at higher performance firmware on these, I'd welcome it! Couldn't be more pleased to be proven wrong if they can! Just as long as they send one to me for testing
Last edited by QuadMcFly; Dec 04, 2015 at 10:32 PM.
Dec 04, 2015, 11:24 PM
Team WarpSquad
Snyderman918's Avatar
Take my money Felix!!!
Dec 04, 2015, 11:29 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadMcFly
I don't think anyone ever accused the stock BS12A firmware of being higher performance Maybe they did though, that was a bit before my time!

Anyway, if anyone wants to take whack at higher performance firmware on these, I'd welcome it! Couldn't be more pleased to be proven wrong if they can! Just as long as they send one to me for testing
Too true. It's nice to have the option in case some bring young engineer comes along and decides to hack some stuff together.
Dec 04, 2015, 11:53 PM
Registered User
what chipset r they using ?
Dec 05, 2015, 12:55 AM
astroX, Warpquad,Geprc,Diatone
So will these esc's give a marked performance improvement vs the 18 and 30 amp kiss's or is it more about the new features like telemetry and 32bit proc?

I almost hope you say it won't improve flight characteristics over the other kiss's because I really don't need to be spending hundreds of dollars on new esc's right now, and I'll have a hard time not doing that if they make my quads fly even better
Dec 05, 2015, 03:14 AM
Registered User
liftbag's Avatar
I'm running more than 40 KISS escs from day one.
Just yesterday I had my first white smoke after a crash.
I can not wait Subcribed!
Dec 05, 2015, 03:49 AM
Registered User
lpabmendez's Avatar
Subd. Impressive
Dec 05, 2015, 04:02 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robomaniac
What will be the "feeling" when I fly and have an over temperature or over current protection?

I will just feel that when I give power, I don't have it. It won't respond to the input I give? You simply reduce max power, there is no cut off.

Is it proportional to temperature or you fall to specific power (50%) until it cools down?

it will reduce max power in realtime when you reach the 30A limit, it wont simply shut down.
Temp. protections works similar.
Dec 05, 2015, 04:07 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by z33
Felix,

When will the KISS FC be launched? In conjunction with this esc?

Thanks

Edit: saw the other thread on FC.
yes we try to release both at the same time, we hope to have all within the next 2 weeks
Dec 05, 2015, 04:08 AM
Team Warpsquad
Final Glide's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind
Try and say that to blheli and simonk users and developers.
That's just it though. Felix got the KISS FW right first time through his testing idea of "it will be ready when it's finished", meanwhile SimonK and BLheli variants continue with their endless updates and still not performing they way KISS does. Try saying that to the SimonK and BLHeli developers...
Dec 05, 2015, 05:17 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoboss
Felix, may I suggest one thing, if someone wanted to design a frame around this PDB, it would be nearly impossible without any mounting holes at the edges of the PDB. Is there a possibility to make it a little bit longer and add them to the design?

Some info on the protocols (oneshot42 and telemetry) would be useful as well.
We will release the serial protocol later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadMcFly
That's some seriously impressive work! It answers a ton of issues with the current generation of ESCs. I'm very interested to see how these push the flight controller development forward.

One question, how many throttle steps does the Oneshot42 implementation have?

Oneshot 42 still has fully 1000 steps of resolution as it uses a 24mhz timer.

Its the same as oneshot 125 just another 3 times faster. With it, those who want can have 12khz looptimes

Regards

Felix
Last edited by juuuut; Dec 05, 2015 at 05:24 AM.
Dec 05, 2015, 05:47 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW
is this a F103, or F102 (the 48MHz puzzles me)?
simple - a cortex m0.
an m0plus would be a bit more expensive.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools