Dec 30, 2015, 04:09 PM
Fixed wings can be Drones too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KritzelKratzel
Right, I didn't forget that. Anyway, the lens holders are also more stable now and there will be free replacement parts with each camera this time.
Good product, better. Nice one!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2015, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Some guys already tried this but it looks like it's not that simple:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ith-3D-support
https://code.google.com/p/minimosd-e.../detail?id=101
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post32860775
IMHO they still have the character-squeeze-and-convergence-offset-problem. According to this post their version of the 3D-OSD was only tested in cropped-SBS mode, which is useless for all typical SBS 3D-goggles. My question for squeezed SBS support was not answered.
Ah, so they made some progress. Last I checked on them was at the end of summer. Well, in my opinion, squeezed mode or not, it can be done. I mean if you can think in your head, then it is only technical things to get done. Of course shifting faster might need some assembler knowledge or other advanced stuff to work in registers level, etc., you know. And also some algorithm might be needed for squeezed images because when during the unsqueezing on the goggles letters/numbers would stretch. So, map pixels->reduce horizontally should be done in a way when unsqueezed they look readable. Then this involves font face and font size selection, maybe different font will be needed for best results (fonts can also be modified in multiwii based OSDs).

That being said, the only thing keeping me from Blackbird/Nerdcam is the OSD. If physically OSD can be connected and overlayed on the image, I can think of a way to make everything work. Of course, final OSD should have 3D mode switch on/off, and convergence option + and - modifying live.

Now I wonder if one or two years in the future this will useful for anybody or just a handful of us. If it would, I would be ready to invest as much time as needed to make it work. @KritzelKratzel what do you think? Because as you are developing your own OSD solution, not sure if you see character squeezed OSD support as an official option in the future..

1) Other option I see if you would allow to plug external OSD instead of internal one you are developing now, but if its digital based then probably its would be a no go.

2) and another option would be to allow to upload our own firmware to you OSD to enable/modify whatever we want there, but then it would be harder to control OSD externally using transmitter and PWM signals. And if firmware is not some existing one but rather custom, it also would gain less traction to be fully developed further on..
Dec 31, 2015, 08:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstone
That being said, the only thing keeping me from Blackbird/Nerdcam is the OSD. If physically OSD can be connected and overlayed on the image, I can think of a way to make everything work. Of course, final OSD should have 3D mode switch on/off, and convergence option + and - modifying live.
Understood. Can you please outline, which values/info you would like to see in your specific OSD layout? The present 3D-OSD status is not yet the end of the game...
Dec 31, 2015, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Understood. Can you please outline, which values/info you would like to see in your specific OSD layout? The present 3D-OSD status is not yet the end of the game...
I prefer having several OSD layouts, switchable on-the-fly. I use one layout with all the information (battery volts and mah, altitude, rssi, compass, horizon line, speed, km flown, gps coordinates, gps sattelites number, current time, flown minutes, sometimes current of battery, my handle/nickname) and other mode, which I switch to when I do not want to see lots of info with a switch on my taranis, with basic info ( battery life current/max based on mah which I set on-the-fly depending on battery I connect, flight time). Also I modify PIDs through OSD on-the-fly too.
Jan 08, 2016, 09:03 AM
Thread OP
Update for post #1

Specification lifted to V1.1 - most changes in chapter 4 (Special Features). The first demonstrator is now on the way for field testing. Results will be posted here on short notice.
Jan 08, 2016, 10:05 AM
3D SBS camera! OOOoooo!

I may have to put it on my christmas 2016 wish list as I have the first gen Zeiss Cinemizers, though I'm throroughly unimpressed with the optics it has, something I did not expect from a company that makes its money from lenses! My Olympus FMD200 & Sony Glasstrons (A35 & 700) have far far superior optics.
Jan 08, 2016, 10:29 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Hey a Mk2, I was just about to purchase the Mk1's to go with my FS HDv2's, any idea how far away they are from release date? Would love to see a tough set, so we can 250 FPV race with them.
Jan 08, 2016, 12:33 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs dont fly
... any idea how far away they are from release date? Would love to see a tough set, so we can 250 FPV race with them.
Difficult to give a good estimate for a release date - I'd say in February 2016, but don't pin me down to this. Before kicking off the first batch of cameras I'd like to have them tested under real conditions. Moreover I'd like to offer the camera this time with a rugged protective case suitable for FPV-racing.
Jan 08, 2016, 02:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
3D SBS camera! OOOoooo!

I may have to put it on my christmas 2016 wish list as I have the first gen Zeiss Cinemizers, though I'm throroughly unimpressed with the optics it has, something I did not expect from a company that makes its money from lenses! My Olympus FMD200 & Sony Glasstrons (A35 & 700) have far far superior optics.

For me it's a shame that Zeiss decided to discontinue the whole Cinemizer series. I still own and use two Cinemizer Plus sets, because I really like the integrated diopters on each eye. OK, the FOV is only moderate and the colors are mid-range, but no blurry edges, no eye strain, no flimsy diopter inserts as known from other video goggles.

Also the switch from 4:3 to 16:9 with the OLED-model disappointed me - at least the Cinemizer OLED has this aspect ratio switch capability (at the price of even less FOV) something that the Dominator V3 should have equipped with as well but never got.

And the replacement for the Cinemizer series? A joke: http://zeissvrone.tumblr.com - a strange mix of Oculus Rift and Google cardboard ideas. A piece of (good looking) plastics with plastics lenses and a smart phone tray for 130 (incl. VAT)? Pretty innovation-free. Eventually I ordered one set just with the intention to disassemble it and to affix an external LCD screen. It works, but the screen resolution is way too coarse, you see every pixel. It's useless for FPV.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452281360.162471.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 288.8 KB
Description:

I guess the whole FPV market is simply too small and the possible profit too little for a company like Zeiss. Ironically, I live just about 40km from the Zeiss HQ in Oberkochen, Germany. When the Cinemizers went out of market I really should have raised my protest banner in front of them "Bring back the Cinemizers!" 🙈 That would have been cool - but I never did.
Jan 21, 2016, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
Protective case - new idea:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453399375.298188.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 229.2 KB
Description:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453399397.308736.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 348.7 KB
Description:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453400594.067765.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 422.9 KB
Description:

This plastic case is made by selective laser sintering (SLS) of polyamide powder by a German subcontractor. It's lightweight (about 3g) but also stiff and robust. The case is attached to the PCB by four self-tapping screws for plastic materials. The screws are long enough for fixing your specific support structure to the cam. All electronic components are enclosed by the case - a good solution to protect the cam from dirt and dust during use on your multi-rotor.

I guess I'll publish the STL as open source on my website once the cam is launched. This will allow you to modify it to your specific needs and to send the model to a nearby 3D printing service provider.
Feb 03, 2016, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
This is just to show that I'm not fallen into hibernation:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454527495.416060.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 296.9 KB
Description:

Selective laser sintering is really great, but you always need several attempts until you are familiar with the process parameters.
Feb 07, 2016, 03:47 PM
Still flying a desk..
Quote:
This is just to show that I'm not fallen into hibernation:

Attachment 8668172

Selective laser sintering is really great, but you always need several attempts until you are familiar with the process parameters.
Looks good but you still need to put something around the lenses to protect them.
My 'Minion' lens protectors have worked very well.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post30200257

However I had a collision with something hard and my camera is damaged now ( flickering picture in the lefthand camera). so even that wasn't enough protection.

I'd be interested in the Mk2 . I might need one now :-(
Feb 12, 2016, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
Manuals (English and German) now available:

http://www.themissinggear.eu/nerdcam...documentation/
Feb 13, 2016, 03:20 PM
Still flying a desk..
Quote:
Manuals (English and German) now available:

http://www.themissinggear.eu/nerdcam...documentation/
Michael,
I love the spec' on this. It's got lots really useful new features.
I'm hoping that the full PAL spec will yield a better picture.
I can't wait for this one.
Feb 14, 2016, 11:16 AM
Thread OP

The NerdCam3D Mk.2 - Your Most Versatile Stereoscopic 3D-FPV Flight Camera

Finally, the new NerdCam3D Mk.1/Mk.2 programmer USB2JTAG is ready:

Name: IMG_1457s.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 170.3 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1458s.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 163.3 KB
Description:

Not absolutely necessary - but nice to have. As long as the many FTDI-Arduino-alike FT232RL programmers lack JTAG support, they are useless for FPGA . Because professional programming cables (e.g. Lattice HW-USBN-2B) cost about USD 170 there is really a need for a cheap minimalist one. I'll see whether it's worth to make USB2JTAG available in larger quantities...
Last edited by KritzelKratzel; Feb 14, 2016 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply