Dec 21, 2015, 02:39 PM
Gravity is patient............
I have flown with 2 cameras and 2 txs and it works well. As far as OSD is concerned the trick is to apply it to only one camera. You can see it fine.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2015, 02:42 PM
Gravity is patient............
I would add a wish list item to be improved auto gain functionality. One good approach is to only sample gain from the bottom half of the screen. Perhaps the nerdcam 1 already does this but for whatever reason it suffers washouts more often than other cams I have used. my only complaint with an otherwise stellar product.
Dec 21, 2015, 04:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60
I would add a wish list item to be improved auto gain functionality. One good approach is to only sample gain from the bottom half of the screen. Perhaps the nerdcam 1 already does this but for whatever reason it suffers washouts more often than other cams I have used. my only complaint with an otherwise stellar product.

Thank you for your comment. The default behavior of the Mk.1 is to use only the lower half of the screen for Auto-Exposure (AE) and Auto White Balance (AWB). There is a tweak to use only the upper half of the screen but I don't know whether this feature has ever been used by someone.

Anyway, the new image sensors in Mk.2 are significantly better than the old ones. AE and AWB are much more stable now. Mk.2 will also feature a selectable AE/AWB window (lower half/ full screen) with a dedicated dip switch. The final settings will be adjusted during the test campaign early next year.

Finally I'd like to ask the community about another possible feature of Mk.2. I got requests to make the clock display (mm:ss) more flexible. The clock shall start to count automatically when the current consumption peaks for the first time (usually at start of copter). At the moment the clock is running when the cam is powered.

A) what would be a useful current threshold for this function: 3A, 5A, or another value?

B) Is it useful to stop the clock from counting once the current falls below the said current threshold?

Please let me know what you think about it.
Dec 22, 2015, 01:51 PM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
A) 3A sounds like a good clock-start threshold. Most mini to medium size copter motors draw about 3 to 5A when producing "hover" thrust 150 to 200g of thrust, typically for most setups.
So that's a good point to start counting to indicate beginning of flight session.

B) Yes, it's useful as some people use time counter to keep track of battery charge. Some people already use a "set" time of flight for certain battery pack capacity according to their flying style. So for instance, they'll fly 3:00 using a 1300mAh battery pack. It would be a redundant counter since most radio control transmitters have this feature that you can set when the throttle stick moves from 0 position. So I think it's good to have it on the OSD. People who use MinimOSD use this feature. At least I use it in all my miniquads.
Dec 28, 2015, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
Quick website update: http://www.themissinggear.eu/nerdcam3d-mk-2/
Dec 28, 2015, 12:28 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KritzelKratzel
I see on the website the Mk2 camera next to Dominator V3 goggles. Does this mean they will be compatible? Hope so!
Dec 28, 2015, 01:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Stinson
I see on the website the Mk2 camera next to Dominator V3 goggles. Does this mean they will be compatible? Hope so!
Yes, Sir! Check this out: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7#post33357297

Thanks to additional firmware features the new camera is able to compensate FatShark's Dominator V3 design flaw with 3D-AV.
Dec 30, 2015, 05:20 AM
@Kritzel, would it be possible to get a passthrough for our own OSDs ? I mean my current OSD solution is fully programmable, I am using it between a simple camera and VTX. Would it be possible to plug my OSD instead of your internal one on the same video S line? I am thinking if you have OSD inside, then video S line could be cut and another OSD could be connected as well there. Then I could still connect my OSD to my FC externally and use it, but be able to connect NerdCam vs my current cam anytime. Theoretically it would work only by exposing s video line (2 pins: one for in, one for out) and my OSD would plugin right there.
Dec 30, 2015, 05:46 AM
Thread OP
I'm not sure whether I have understood your question correctly, but in general the internal 3D-OSD is deactivated when there is no external sensor (NerdSense Mk.1) or UART-connection to your FC detected. This gives you the opportunity to connect your own OSD between camera and VTx.

Please note the technical requirements for 3D-OSD in my FAQ: http://www.themissinggear.eu/nerdcam3d-mk-1/faq/. Basically you need a) double display, b) character squeezed to 50% in width and c) shift inwards for 3D-convergence. In case your OSD (which one ?) is completely programmable there might be a chance.
Dec 30, 2015, 06:41 AM
Quote:
I'm not sure whether I have understood your question correctly, but in general the internal 3D-OSD is deactivated when there is no external sensor (NerdSense Mk.1) or UART-connection to your FC detected. This gives you the opportunity to connect your own OSD between camera and VTx.

Please note the technical requirements for 3D-OSD in my FAQ: http://www.themissinggear.eu/nerdcam3d-mk-1/faq/. Basically you need a) double display, b) character squeezed to 50% in width and c) shift inwards for 3D-convergence. In case your OSD (which one ?) is completely programmable there might be a chance.
I have micro minimosd with k/v mod, which I can flash (and as its open source - reprogram if needed). I understand the requirements, but could my osd be plugged before b) and c) options - I would only like to provide my osd output and the character squeezing and shifting inwards left for nerdcam.

Ok, maybe I lack some understanding of how Nerdcam hardware works. Are there 2 video s lines internally which are synced and squeezed into 1 image at the end? If so, where does 3D-OSD plugs in and what does it do? Because as I undestand, if same OSD overlay would be given to each of the video s lines then no need to do anything from my OSD as nerdcam would squeeze the whole video itself.

I know there is other option - tune the OSD to squeeze and double itself, thats good too if no other option is left. In the end, I do not think that it would be hard to modify multiwii or other firmware to squeeze the image and repeat itself on the final output buffer depending on some variable set (3Don/off) in the menus.
Dec 30, 2015, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstone
I have micro minimosd with k/v mod, which I can flash (and as its open source - reprogram if needed). I understand the requirements, but could my osd be plugged before b) and c) options...
No, this is unfortunately not possible.

Quote:
Ok, maybe I lack some understanding of how Nerdcam hardware works. Are there 2 video s lines internally which are synced and squeezed into 1 image at the end? If so, where does 3D-OSD plugs in and what does it do? Because as I undestand, if same OSD overlay would be given to each of the video s lines then no need to do anything from my OSD as nerdcam would squeeze the whole video itself.
Half yes, half no. In fact, there are two video streams which are synced and squeezed in order to fit into one single stream. However, this is done in the digital video domain. Both sensors have a double output - one analog video and one digital port. Both digital ports connect directly to the FPGA where all the magic (including the OSD-overlay) happens. The final analog 3D-video signal is formed at the very end of the whole conversion chain with a dedicated video-DAC.

Quote:
I know there is other option - tune the OSD to squeeze and double itself, thats good too if no other option is left. In the end, I do not think that it would be hard to modify multiwii or other firmware to squeeze the image and repeat itself on the final output buffer depending on some variable set (3Don/off) in the menus.
Some guys already tried this but it looks like it's not that simple:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ith-3D-support
https://code.google.com/p/minimosd-e.../detail?id=101
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post32860775
IMHO they still have the character-squeeze-and-convergence-offset-problem. According to this post their version of the 3D-OSD was only tested in cropped-SBS mode, which is useless for all typical SBS 3D-goggles. My question for squeezed SBS support was not answered.
Dec 30, 2015, 12:29 PM
I'd like it to operate in a wide range of voltages 5-22v to be able to use in multiple applications and have internal power filtering. Also to include a protective case which can be mounted on a gopro type mount. And finally to have IPD adjustable and include some assistance in an OSD for calibration. That way the IPD can be identical to user and improve perception.
Dec 30, 2015, 01:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking0069
I'd like it to operate in a wide range of voltages 5-22v to be able to use in multiple applications and have internal power filtering. Also to include a protective case which can be mounted on a gopro type mount. And finally to have IPD adjustable and include some assistance in an OSD for calibration. That way the IPD can be identical to user and improve perception.
The fixed 5V DC power supply (without onboard DCDC-converter) was a tough design decision. Finally it was not included on the cam due to EMC/EMI compliance. Tiny external DCDC converters (like this one) are readily available. However filtering on camera level is included. With respect to the protective case - maybe something like this?
Name: s_view01.png
Views: 46
Size: 74.2 KB
Description:
Name: s_view02.png
Views: 39
Size: 88.7 KB
Description:
Name: s_view03.png
Views: 51
Size: 14.4 KB
Description:

Front cover aluminum metal sheet, folded/bended and anodized. Rear cover acrylic glass, all fastened by four M2-screws. I guess with this rugged case the cam will be protected much better from impact than with the previous 100%-acrylic housing.

The fixed IAD (interaxial distance, not to be confused with IPD) of both lenses is a creative choice and may be larger/smaller than your particular IPD. I have learned that from Captain3D, who is an expert in this matter and also quite active here on RCG. The distance of the displays inside the video goggle should match the IPD as close as possible,.

Finally, with this camera all adjustmens/calibration steps are made with four push buttons and are assisted by OSD. There is no longer mechanical calibration (by moving the lens holders around) necessary, thanks to the capabilities of the new sensors.
Dec 30, 2015, 02:43 PM
Fixed wings can be Drones too!
Quote:

Finally, with this camera all adjustmens/calibration steps are made with four push buttons and are assisted by OSD. There is no longer mechanical calibration (by moving the lens holders around) necessary, thanks to the capabilities of the new sensors.
YAY! Thats great news. May i suggest any formal case extens just past the end on the lens, it may add more weight but without the lens is at risk in crashes. (ask me and Mitch how we know)
Dec 30, 2015, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino
YAY! Thats great news. May i suggest any formal case extens just past the end on the lens, it may add more weight but without the lens is at risk in crashes. (ask me and Mitch how we know)

Right, I didn't forget that. Anyway, the lens holders are also more stable now and there will be free replacement parts with each camera this time.

Quick Reply