Dec 04, 2015, 08:01 AM
New Product

The NerdCam3D Mk.2 - Your Most Versatile Stereoscopic 3D-FPV Flight Camera

The NerdCam3D Mk.2 is the newest, most advanced and most versatile 3D-FPV flight camera in the class of analog video/standard definition 3D-cameras. This new and completely updated design comprises state-of-the-art automotive image sensors and advanced minimum-latency video processing features. It also includes a significant number of improvements over the previous Mk.1 model. The NerdCam3D Mk.2 addresses many suggestions and feature requests by the steadily growing community of 3D-FPV enthusiasts.

Box content of the NerdCam3D Mk.2
Name: box_content.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 781.6 KB
Description:
The box includes the camera, a printed bilingual manual (English, German), a bag of replacement parts containing lens holder, lens lock-ring, special M1.8x6 screws for the mounting posts of the camera case and an optional plug for the DIP-switch aperture as well as two replacement pins for the micro switches.

List of supported FPV-goggles
Name: Supported_Goggles.png
Views: 178
Size: 68.7 KB
Description:

Retailers
http://www.themissinggear.eu/where-to-buy/

Special Camera Features
Each NerdCam3D Mk.2 features a built-in stereoscopic on-screen display with commonly requested status information like battery voltage, amperage, RSSI, stopwatch as well as mAh charge counter. The new NerdCam3D Mk.2 is able to poll and read out telemetry data via MSP (MultiWii Serial Protocol) from any flight controller running Cleanflight, Baseflight or other related flight controller software. The legacy NerdSense Mk.1 sensing extension board remains supported for the sake of RC-cars. OSD-assisted camera calibration modes provide unprecedented ease of operation.

Name: hand1.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 73.5 KB
Description: Name: hand2.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 82.4 KB
Description:
Name: IMG_1482.JPG
Views: 57
Size: 150.1 KB
Description: Name: IMG_1483.JPG
Views: 59
Size: 212.5 KB
Description: Name: IMG_1486.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 280.8 KB
Description:

Manuals & Documentation
http://www.themissinggear.eu/nerdcam...documentation/

Accessories
http://www.themissinggear.eu/nerdcam...2/accessories/

Example Videos:
Cruising the school grounds (4:3) (2 min 59 sec)

NerdCam3D Mk.2 test video (no audio). Raw 3D-footage recorded with FPV Japan DVR mounted on a RC-car.

Easy Park Gliding (16:9) (3 min 9 sec)

This video was originally created in 640:480 VGA resolution using the on-board DVR of the FPV goggle. It was processed to 720p with using Avisynth.

Instruction Videos:
NerdCam3D Mk.2 - 3D-OSD using MSP (1 min 56 sec)

This video explains the new MSP (MultiWii Serial Protocol) feature of the NerdCam3D Mk.2 3D-FPV flight camera.

NerdCam3D Mk.2 with Dominator V3 Goggle (4 min 22 sec)

This video describes how to compensate the Dominator's horizontal offset glitch in AV-3D mode with help of the features of the NerdCam3D Mk.2.

Original footage
From Dominator HD V1 or V2 on-board DVR (all published with permission of the respective owners):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5nn6ptxwgn...T0010.AVI?dl=0 Size: 157 MB
https://www.dropbox.com/s/42l4d02khh...T0002.AVI?dl=0 Size: 130 MB
Last edited by KritzelKratzel; May 17, 2016 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added link to camera accessories.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 04, 2015, 10:41 AM
UAV Integrations
Awesome!! I'll be watching this thread closely!
Dec 04, 2015, 04:32 PM
KD8SU Charlotte, Michigan
By golly, I'm going to have to get one of those someday. I'm truly appreciative of the technology and the way it's advancing. Pretty cool stuff !

I'm a little concerned that, from what I hear from some though, that going 3D may cause me to ralph my cookies.
Dec 04, 2015, 06:39 PM
Subbed
Dec 11, 2015, 04:01 PM
Update in post #1:
- Preliminary specification
- Form factor drawing
Dec 11, 2015, 10:38 PM
Awesome to see some new developments in the 3D cameras. I have been looking into trying a 3d camera as I have both the Dom HD v1 and vuzix wrap 1200 VR
Dec 12, 2015, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
I have been looking into trying a 3d camera as I have both the Dom HD v1 and vuzix wrap 1200 VR

Cool. Does your Vuzix VR have an AV input port? I noticed some time ago that newer versions of this goggle don't have this feature anymore...
Dec 13, 2015, 12:00 AM
My vuzix are about 4 years old now. They do not have a direct Av port like the fatsharks do. The vuzix have a cable from the goggles that plugs into a VGA controller. The controller has all of the buttons for adjusting the display, along with a USB plug to provide power and a VGA connector that both plug into a computer. To use them for my ground station I have to use a VGA to RCA converter
Dec 13, 2015, 01:52 PM

The NerdCam3D Mk.2 - Your Most Versatile Stereoscopic 3D-FPV Flight Camera

Brief Update

All major parts of the firmware are done and now it's time to move forward to implementing the brand-new MultiWii Serial Protocol cores. The basic idea is to hook-up the camera directly to the FC and to fill the 3D-OSD with data out of the telemetry data stream. This approach will be compatible with all kind of baseflight/ cleanflight/ flight-controls.

As I was not yet familiar with MSP, I made some analysis today using a Flip32 FC and my scope.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450032039.234082.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 300.2 KB
Description:

I triggered for the MSP message 110=0x6E (which is called MSP_ANALOG). This message conveys the most relevant data like battery voltage, amperage, mAh counter, etc. The message ID is the 5th byte in the picture below.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450032277.719848.jpg
Views: 93
Size: 348.5 KB
Description:

As the FC misses any sensors the data transmitted shows up as zero. When displayed in ASCII the MSP message looks like this:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450032472.919163.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 360.3 KB
Description:

You can clearly see the $M> message prefix.
Dec 14, 2015, 04:50 PM
Gravity is patient............
Will this be a single board solution or will you continue to move osd functions to a second board?
Dec 14, 2015, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyd60
Will this be a single board solution or will you continue to move osd functions to a second board?

Definitely a single board solution. The idea is to implement as much as possible OSD capability into the camera directly, until the FPGA canvas is completely filled.

Second option is to use an even larger and pin-compatible FPGA, however this would increase cost and retail price. Maybe something for a future upgrade or a separate "XXL" version of the cam.
Dec 15, 2015, 02:03 PM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
Quote:
Originally Posted by KritzelKratzel
Definitely a single board solution. The idea is to implement as much as possible OSD capability into the camera directly, until the FPGA canvas is completely filled.

Second option is to use an even larger and pin-compatible FPGA, however this would increase cost and retail price. Maybe something for a future upgrade or a separate "XXL" version of the cam.
Definitely a very useful and "cool-factor" feature to have. It'll make it so easy to just hook up the camera to the FC telemetry stream.
I think for most people, basic telemetry is plenty: Flight mode / Arm status / LiPo voltage / ??
At least those are the data numbers I usually keep an eye on the most. Besides, don't want to clutter your 3D view!

Good to see the successor to the NC3D Mk.1 following the same dedicated, full-featured, and top-notch design criteria! Looking forward to updates and raw DVR footage from FatShark Dominators so we can view on our goggles
Last edited by EngineerX; Dec 15, 2015 at 05:16 PM.
Dec 18, 2015, 05:41 PM
is it possible to significantly improve the image of this type of solution or will it always be 50% lesser due to the way the 2 cameras are merged?
Dec 19, 2015, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808
is it possible to significantly improve the image of this type of solution or will it always be 50% lesser due to the way the 2 cameras are merged?

Unfortunately yes. As long as we use only one video transmit/receive channel both images have to be combined into one frame, which is a lossy process, regardless how the images are actually merged (field-sequential or side-by-side). This disadvantage is of general nature and also applies to other available 3D-cameras, even 3D-HD-cameras which use HD video links.

The only option to maintain resolution is to use two video channels. In principle this is possible with the Mk.2 camera and already was possible with Mk.1 - but unfortunately without support for embedded 3D-OSD. Each video sensor has an independent and filtered CVBS-output port which gives full resolution. In fact, both separate video outputs are genlocked.
Dec 20, 2015, 05:28 PM
Good news - the serial (UART) IP cores are running well. Now the camera can be connected to any FC board which supports CleanFlight/Baseflight. I've tested it with the latest CF version on an inexpensive Flip32 (6 DOF) flight controller.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450649549.665675.jpg
Views: 85
Size: 420.7 KB
Description:

Simply connect the camera to that serial port which is usually occupied by your "normal" OSD device. Both Rx and Tx wires are necessary. The camera detects the presence of data in MultiWii Serial Protocol (MSP) format and activates the 3D-OSD automatically. Here is a very short demo clip:

3D-OSD using MultiWii Serial Protocol (0 min 9 sec)

The 5.1V voltage is the static voltage from my external battery pack. The floating current sense pin at the FC picks up enough "noise" such that the charge counter runs up. This would be different if a current sensor was attached to the FC. Current draw and RSSI are not yet visible but will be implemented in the next step. This will be rather straight forward.

Quick Reply