View Poll Results: Hamsters Or Penguins ?
Hamsters 36 36.73%
Penguins 62 63.27%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by Lycan Animal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 08, 2020, 11:44 AM
GOT WINGS
Looks good Solo.
Yesterday afternoon most of the snow had melted, temps were up in the 50sF, wind was almost calm, and I was home before dark, so I decided to fly the T720. Sure enough I crashed it fairly far out into the field, and had to wade out in the mud to get it. It was a soft but very dirty landing. I had plenty of time for a couple of more flights, but didn't want to risk landing in water or wading in mud again.

Finally got the Futaba receiver for the T720 that I ordered on January 1. It took 5 weeks and 2 days. I used to get everything I ordered from Banggood in about 3 weeks. Is it any wonder I don't order parts from them anymore unless I have to?
Feb 09, 2020, 02:32 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Things are very slow, not just from Banggood. I ordered a Mobula 6 on the 23rd of december, it arrived over 6 weeks later, even though it was claimed to be in stock.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Feb 15, 2020, 02:08 PM
Anyone still knows this?

a-ha - Take On Me (Official Video) (3 min 48 sec)
Feb 16, 2020, 05:20 PM
GOT WINGS
Not bad music in that video Solo, but I had never heard of them before, of course I grew up with 60s and 70s rock and roll and have rarely paid attention to anything musical since then.

I finally got the futaba receiver mounted in the T720. Thanks to you Solo for posting in your S720 thread the picture of where to plug it in. Had to cut and pull a bit of foam to get it plugged in, and even then it was very tricky. I tried tweezers and couldn't get it, then ended up just holding the wire, getting the plug lined up, and pushing the plug in with a long flat tipped screw driver. I was actually sweating when I finally got it in. Couldn't tell it was actually connected until I turned on the radio, plugged in the plane battery, and pushed the bind button. It bound right up and I took it for a flight. Worked well, but I need to check the settings on the transmitter.

Spent most of my spare time during the past two weeks working on my F4U Corsair project plane. Actually plugged it in yesterday and fired it up, and everything seemed to work. Still have to finish installing the electronics and do adjustments.
Feb 16, 2020, 10:10 PM
GOT WINGS
I opened the menu in the X7 transmitter and maxed out the endpoints. That should make it perform better in acro mode. It was having trouble doing loops, didn't seem to have the power, but the throttle endpoint was set too low. Also increased aileron, elevator, and rudder endpoints.

Here are a couple of pictures, first the parts that come in the F4U Corsair kit, and second what it looks like after a few weeks of work:
Name: zf4ukit.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 447.5 KB
Description: Name: zf4ulndgr.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 511.3 KB
Description:
Feb 18, 2020, 03:41 AM
I thought the Corsair would be a profile plane, so only flat plates, considering the low price, but it's actual full shape. Looks neat, hope the maiden goes well.
Feb 18, 2020, 10:57 PM
GOT WINGS
Yesterday, even with it being a little windy, I took the T720 out and flew it in acro with the X7 transmitter after maxing out the endpoints in the transmitter. It made a difference, first tries I was having some trouble getting it to do loops in almost calm winds. Withe the maxed endpoints, it performed loops with no problems.

Very windy today, but I took the Corsair out thinking I would just try to taxi on my 20 foot slab of concrete. Then I checked my wind break area with thick grass on it and decided to try hand launching it. It seemed like it wanted to fly but would go down withing 10 to 20 feet. at least it wasn't going down nose first. Still seemed heavy in the front end. Was using a 54 gram battery in the front, will try a 38 gram battery and see if that helps. Also was using a 5030 2 blade prop, may try a 6040 2 blade if the battery doesn't help enough.
Feb 19, 2020, 07:45 PM
GOT WINGS
I tried the Corsair today in less than 10mph winds with the 38 gram battery. Flew a little farther but still went down. So I changed to a 6030 prop and moved the battery back farther. It flew. Wasn't pretty and flight didn't last long, but it flew. Maybe a 6040 prop and adjustment of the battery position and it will fly better. As SeByDocky used to post, a work in progress.
Feb 22, 2020, 04:32 AM
No plane flying here at the moment, 3rd weekend's storm in a row, first Chiara, then Dennis and now Ellen, which started yesterday, when this flight was made:

"Bird watching" with the Eachine/Diatone ER349 on a windy day (4 min 7 sec)
Feb 24, 2020, 08:22 PM
GOT WINGS
Weather has not been good for flying here either. I did manage to try the Corsair a few nights ago with a 750mah battery and a 6040 prop. Wind may have been 10mph or higher. It flew, but I didn't have good control. I think it was way to tail heavy so controls were ineffective and the wind carried it away. I ended up bringing it down about 700 meters downwind because I couldn't control it enough to bring it back. Good test of the XK X7 transmitter and the XK A430 receiver range.

Tonight I finally managed a well controlled flight with the Corsair using a 20 gram heavier battery and the same 6040 prop. Only problem was I had to keeep the throttle really low to keep it from climbing too much. Landing was not too good, but no damage.

Got a question for you Solo. The 6040 prop may be to much for this plane, and I have three other props I am considering trying: a good 6030 2 blade, a good 6045 3 blade, and an iffy 6030 3 blade. Would the 5045 3 blade provide more or less thrust than the 6040 2 blade and pull more or less amps? The 5045 is the only bull nose prop of all of them.
Feb 26, 2020, 06:08 AM
Tricky question about those props. It's a matter of blade area, rpm, pitch, blade shape. I would avoid bullnose props, often less efficient and more noisy. Maybe you can trim the 60xx prop to get a 5 inch 2-blade, if you have the tools to balance the prop after trimming?
Feb 26, 2020, 09:11 AM
GOT WINGS
I don't like bull nose props either, but these are the ones that came with the eachine Falcon 210 and the only bull nose props I have ever liked. I could trim the 6045 props and balance them.
Feb 26, 2020, 03:49 PM
What motor size and kv are you using on this plane?
Feb 26, 2020, 04:29 PM
GOT WINGS
Using an RCLogger Eye One Xtreme motor. Never was sure of the size. Something like an 1806 - 1800 to 2200 KV. Used it because it is the only motor I had that I also had a prop adapter that would fit the motor and put the prop out far enough forward for the cowl,
Feb 28, 2020, 10:52 PM
GOT WINGS
Well, I tried the 5045 3 blade prop and couldn't seem to keep the plane in the air. So I tried the 6030 2 blade prop and had a decent flight but had to keep the throttle well over 50% for most of the flight. Tried the 6045 2 blade prop again and it worked well with around 50% throttle and less. Not perfect but fairly decent. I also adjusted the elevator control rod length after trying the 5045 prop and I think that made some difference. So a 6045 prop and a 53.7 gram 2S battery seem to work fairly well. Had a couple of good 4 or 5 minute flights this evening in less than 5mph winds. Had it going fairly slow into the wind once, but mostly this plane seems to need to go fast.Even though I have only been flying it in stabalized mode so far, I think it is making me a better pilot because I have been having to manage the sticks more. And it is nice to have mostly built a plane and actually managed to get it to fly. Probably didn't take too much more work than the Volantex 767-2.

By the way, the battery I am using is from my fist 350mm sized quad that I got at the end of 2015 or the beginning of 2016, the JJRC H26W. Shows that batteries can hold up if kept at proper storage charge.

Quick Reply