View Poll Results: Hamsters Or Penguins ?
Hamsters 35 36.84%
Penguins 60 63.16%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by Lycan Animal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 09, 2019, 10:17 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotow
Where you posted updated R349 PIDs?

You want my 3S PIDs? Since for 4S it seems the stock PIDs work pretty well, as long as you use GemFan 3052 or similar, like LDARC 3050. Anyway, here is all info, PID suggestions in second message in this thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...in-progress%29

Btw, I finally got a recording of landing on a streetlight with the Bat100:

Landing a brushless quadcopter on a streetlight? - FullSpeedRC Bat 100 (2 min 34 sec)

And did some flying with the Asteroid 3, after downgrading to 3.5.5 firmware, which AndyRC suggested:

HobbyMate Asteroid 3, trying with BetaFlight 3.5.5 firmware (3 min 52 sec)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jun 09, 2019 at 10:22 AM.
Jun 13, 2019, 07:52 AM
Krotow
Solo, seems we in EU are now locked in 3" and below starting from next year
https://www.easa.europa.eu/easa-and-...il-drones-rpas
Jun 13, 2019, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Solo, seems we in EU are now locked in 3" and below starting from next year
https://www.easa.europa.eu/easa-and-...il-drones-rpas
It seems a bit fuzzy, and I doubt the indicated deadlines are going to be met. EU legislation moves slow, and individual countries will also probably have some option to add comments to suggested laws. And while one part talks about registration above 250g, there is later on also talk of a limited open class, up to 500g:

"Drone user can start operating in limited ‘Open’ category. Between June 2020 till June 2022:
Drones with a weight less than 500g may be operated in an area where reasonably it is expected that no uninvolved person is overflown"

Which seems to read as that you can fly quads under 500g on any spot where there are no restrictions, as long as it's unlikely that you will be flying over people.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jun 13, 2019, 03:31 PM
Krotow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
"Drone user can start operating in limited ‘Open’ category. Between June 2020 till June 2022:
Drones with a weight less than 500g may be operated in an area where reasonably it is expected that no uninvolved person is overflown"

Which seems to read as that you can fly quads under 500g on any spot where there are no restrictions, as long as it's unlikely that you will be flying over people.
I hope on that. Though it seems that recreational area with trees you seen in some my FPV recordings will be off limits most of time. Though it is not usable in warm season anymore because it is crowded and unsafe to fly now. It is possible only in very early morning, when I'm sleeping.
Jun 14, 2019, 04:25 AM
Quote:
I hope on that. Though it seems that recreational area with trees you seen in some my FPV recordings will be off limits most of time. Though it is not usable in warm season anymore because it is crowded and unsafe to fly now. It is possible only in very early morning, when I'm sleeping.

I never fly on spots where there is a big chance on flying over people. But it sure doesn't help, these intended restrictions.

Meanwhile, let's enjoy the current freedom, with ups and downs:

Hobbymate Asteroid 3 - Acro flight and sudden crash (1 min 37 sec)

Some more acro with the Diatone R349 (3 min 37 sec)
Jun 15, 2019, 03:05 PM
The Asteroid 3 now has XM+ receiver, and seems to work fine now:

HobbyMate Asteroid 3 - Test flight after crash (3 min 49 sec)

And did some more ripping with the Sailfly-X, this time on a lighter 2S battery:

Slalom practice with the HappyModel SailFly-X, running on 2S (3 min 36 sec)
Jun 16, 2019, 04:48 PM
Krotow
Under light of upcoming EU UAV crunch... Solo, did you tried Diatone GT M515?
https://rotorriot.com/products/diato...normal-x-split
Banggood seems have them too
https://www.banggood.com/Diatone-GT-...p-1316381.html
170g 5" - I'm curious how it fly Anyway it is a fine example how to make a light 5". And we already have good and not expensive 20mm stacks. Probably it is worth to pay attention to motors - originals in Bardwell's review from 2018 kinda degraded after 10 packs.

Rain is back. For few days as news told.
Last edited by Krotow; Jun 16, 2019 at 04:55 PM.
Jun 17, 2019, 03:19 AM
I opted to test the M515 but this was turned down. I did also hear JB comment on the motors, though I wonder if he may have been too harsh. In general he at least seems to dislike Diatone often. He gave a double thumbs down on the R249, but oddly enough never tested the 349. Lack of time, or maybe because it would be hard to find some negative points on it? It just feels a bit odd, even though I have to add it's just a theory, without hard evidence.

But an ultra light 5 inch might be a way to keep flying those and evade restrictions.
Jun 18, 2019, 12:01 AM
Did some acro practicing yesterday, some attempts at a Rubik's Cube, and also ventured for a new gap between the trees, to include in my flying:

Trying the Rubik's (Rubix?) Cube with the HobbyMate Asteroid 3 (4 min 15 sec)

More Rubix Cube practice and other acro moves with the Diatone Rabbit R349 (4 min 29 sec)

Sorry for the bad video on this last one, wasn't using the correct antenna for this quad:

Exploring a new passage through the trees on one of my flying spots (1 min 51 sec)
Jun 25, 2019, 01:38 PM
Did I kill this thread?
Jun 25, 2019, 11:52 PM
GOT WINGS
No Solo, I don't think so, it's just summer and things get busy. I haven't been flying much, I think I only flew my EX2 Mini in acro once in the past week and flew an H501S once. Yesterday I charged the batteries for my XK X350 and the EX2, thinking the wind would die down near sun down, but it didn't. This morning I slept late, and when I got going I decided to do some other things instead of flying. Then it got windy and I got busy. I was thinking tonight that tomorrow I should fly my X350 - my largest quad, but probably not in acro or 3D, and then fly my smallest brushless quad, the GoolRC G90, maybe in acro. Hope it is not too windy in the morning. I am still having a big problem with gnats when I step out in the yard, it is like they quickly swarm aroung my face. Yesterday I was out there for about a minute and one flew into my eye.

I figured out a couple of days ago that I have 28 brushless quads, but I think 8 of those are duplicates of others. So still I have 20 different brushless quads to fly. Some I haven't flown for 2 years or more, so flying the ones I haven't flown in a while is like trying out a new quad. I am thinking I should fly all of them before school starts in September at least once, even though that means studying the manuals and transmitters to refresh my ability to do so. 15 have GPS, 10 are acro capable and the two XKs are also 3D capable, and I have 3 that only fly in 6 axis mode.
I may have to get over not liking to fly in windy conditions though.
Jun 25, 2019, 11:59 PM
Yeah, summer can make things slow. We've had a few days here with temps over 30 degrees in the shade and worse, night temps no longer dropping below 20 degrees, but even as high as 24 to 25 degrees with high relative humidity. With those temps you don't get good rest during the night.

I recognize the re-discovering older quads. Been doing that too lately. See if with a few tweaks here and there, an older model can still offer a nice diversion from what I fly most these days, or has really become obsolete.
Jun 26, 2019, 12:12 AM
GOT WINGS
I know there are probably good reasons I don't fly some of the older quads anymore, the newer ones I have are just so much better, but it should still be interesting to re-discover some of them.

One of the things I did when I was reacquainting myself with the XK X350 was go to SeByDocky's old thread to look for a picture of the battery to make sure I was using the right battery. But all the photos on SeByDocky's thread were gone. I think I remember that the photo app he was using changed or was shutting down, now all his photos are gone. Not a big deal, I have at least three batteries that will fit in the X350, and I think I picked the right one, though it is supposed to be 50C and it does not have that printed on the battery.

Sad, I used to rely on SeByDocky and SoloProFan for info on new quads, and a lot of that is missing now.
Jun 26, 2019, 05:48 PM
Krotow
Greetings to everyone. Wasn't in air more than a month. Got busy with work, home chores, oldest nephew's graduation, preparing for vacation trip to UK, visiting my friends during last holidays etc. Have an things to do in rural house after returning so I believe that window for hobby will open not earlier than at end of July.

I see GNB batteries in Banggood available again. Seems worth to buy some for R349.

I will sleep in Eindhoven at June 29. At this time without anything flying with me. However I will fly back from London at next week. At least something.

Bought Logitech G613 keyboard as replacement for my old Logitech MK300 transformed into sticky mess with juice flash by lousy relative. Already wanted something equally capable for coding and gaming and without loud clicks and flashing rainbow circus lights characteristic for dedicated gaming keyboards. At last space between buttons adequate for my hands and not compressed into 1.5 buttons under single finger. Provide Bluetooth keyboard support as well so I can use it in my Samsung S9+ phone as native keyboard (G613 have keyboard mode switch buttons) - I like that. Guys with nostalgia for old IBM PC keyboards certainly will like this one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier
I know there are probably good reasons I don't fly some of the older quads anymore, the newer ones I have are just so much better, but it should still be interesting to re-discover some of them.

One of the things I did when I was reacquainting myself with the XK X350 was go to SeByDocky's old thread to look for a picture of the battery to make sure I was using the right battery. But all the photos on SeByDocky's thread were gone. I think I remember that the photo app he was using changed or was shutting down, now all his photos are gone. Not a big deal, I have at least three batteries that will fit in the X350, and I think I picked the right one, though it is supposed to be 50C and it does not have that printed on the battery.
Stock battery for XK X350 is 3S 2200 mAh 40C with XT60 connector. You can use similar 50C+ battery too - it will not hurt. Like this one

https://www.banggood.com/GAONENG-GNB...r_warehouse=CN

Because you have another batteries for this quad, you already know correct battery dimensions.

Yep, sometimes it is interesting to pick up old stuff and try to put it in use in various ways. I still have some 2 years old brushed whoops and one 2.5" brushless one waiting in line.
Last edited by Krotow; Jun 26, 2019 at 06:25 PM.
Jun 26, 2019, 08:53 PM
GOT WINGS
Part of my problem with flying older quads is remembering the transmitter functions. Different ways to arm motors and buttons/toggles that do different things, if I pick one up that I haven't used in a few months, I may have forgotten what controls different functions. About a year ago I started adding paint on labels as instructions, but I still have transmitters I haven't done this to.
Name: zh501stxlabel.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 2.16 MB
Description:

Quick Reply