View Poll Results: Hamsters Or Penguins ?
Hamsters 35 36.84%
Penguins 60 63.16%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

This thread is privately moderated by Lycan Animal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 30, 2019, 06:38 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Today it's dry again, but crazy wind. I think the quad would actually tip over when put on the ground, even a 3 inch one. Here's some Sailfly-X ripping from yesterday though:

HappyModel Sailfly-X: back to 3S (4 min 10 sec)
Last edited by SoloProFan; May 30, 2019 at 07:54 AM.
May 30, 2019, 07:57 AM
Krotow
Don't tease me I have quite nasty UI issue in payment terminal to solve. Plus our big boss arrived. Have no time to fly. It is still cold and windy on street. At least Sun shine from morning.

Sirius, our new guy in president seat certainly would do better than yellow wig one without scarring allies to death and breaking apart with the rest of world for sure.
May 30, 2019, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krotow
Don't tease me I have quite nasty UI issue in payment terminal to solve. Plus our big boss arrived. Have no time to fly. It is still cold and windy on street. At least Sun shine from morning.

Sirius, our new guy in president seat certainly would do better than yellow wig one without scarring allies to death and breaking apart with the rest of world for sure.

Did I already tell you that this Sailfly-X is one of the most exciting things I've flown in a while?
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
May 30, 2019, 01:05 PM
Krotow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Did I already tell you that this Sailfly-X is one of the most exciting things I've flown in a while?
I imagine about what you are talking about. That quad which was called by petty Toothpick copy by Kabab. Though knowing how much frames of his design Chinese copied without a blink and paying back, he has all rights to do that. But yes, it flies quite well until first hard crash.

With yearly car inspection date after two weeks had to do something to make mine in state that will not be declined on first pass. Changed burnt out sidelight bulb 2 hours ago. Got nice burn mark on fingers because didn't noticed that thing is lit (in my car it happens when doors are opened) and it is hard to notice tiny lit bulb in bright sunlight. Next stop is license plate light which is welded shut monoblock with LED light and rear door opening button at bottom. I have no idea how much it cost though knowing a price of damaged rear light replacement I believe that it will cost somewhere near to Mobula7 price. Will learn at tomorrow when I have scheduled service visit.
May 30, 2019, 03:03 PM
Maybe something better than the Sailfly-X will come out soon. But it does seem to hit a sweet spot, I've never seen something this light handle a strong breeze and fast corners so well.

Some more testing today, TS215 with Foxeer Predator camera:

Eachine Wizard TS215 - Testing a different camera (4 min 38 sec)

Having fun with Diatone R349, I think I will settle for these PIDs for 3S:

Diatone Rabbit R-349 (getting close to) final 3S PIDs (4 min 29 sec)

And just some fun with the KingKong Egg 138:

Flying the LDARC/KingKong FPV Egg 138 Pro on a windy afternoon (4 min 37 sec)
Last edited by SoloProFan; May 30, 2019 at 03:17 PM.
May 30, 2019, 04:54 PM
Krotow
Came here after influence of an bottle of Mosel wine (tasty one by the way). TS215 have very good tune even for that weird frame. I miss my 5"-s... Already told that GT-R349 on 3S flies very nice - definitely like how it happens.

Received some practicing videos from Kabab. Maybe I'll get a luck to try these in air at weekend.

Trains have some special place in my soul. Wanted to be a train driver in childhood and they still take my attention and interest. In YouTube noticed that NL have one particularly weird and funny one with bumps at ends. I mean this one. I learned that these are old models and probably will disappear soon, but thy are funny as Hell anyway
May 31, 2019, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Came here after influence of an bottle of Mosel wine (tasty one by the way). TS215 have very good tune even for that weird frame. I miss my 5"-s... Already told that GT-R349 on 3S flies very nice - definitely like how it happens.

Received some practicing videos from Kabab. Maybe I'll get a luck to try these in air at weekend.

Trains have some special place in my soul. Wanted to be a train driver in childhood and they still take my attention and interest. In YouTube noticed that NL have one particularly weird and funny one with bumps at ends. I mean this one. I learned that these are old models and probably will disappear soon, but thy are funny as Hell anyway

TS215 seems to be made for the default BF settings, as no tuning was done on this afaik, and it's just running 3.2.0 defaults. I think the props also help, it's using Dalprop T5046C, which are very nice props, grippy, but also smooth power band and very silent and relatively low current draw.

R349 seems very locked in now. I did see some oscillations and PID error when throttling up, but in the "floating time" where throttle is mostly cut, it follows stick commands almost perfectly, the gyro graph almost overlaps the RC command graph at those moments.

The "Koploper" is a very special train indeed, since it can daisy-chain to other trains of the same type. The name means "frontrunner" but also refers to being able to walk through the head into the next train, when docked, so it has double meaning.
May 31, 2019, 05:58 AM
Krotow
That train resemble some metro trains I seen before in some way. Seems driver cabin have a hump in floor too, otherwise passengers would require to crouch between trains

Noticed that some guys made a model railway of NL trains in Minecraft. Pretty close to original tracks and stations. Amazing job FTW.

Minecraft Netherlands NS Trains Railfanning Animation (5 min 44 sec)
Jun 02, 2019, 11:14 PM
GOT WINGS
Got a new smartphone last Monday, first time using it on rcgroups, haven't even typed this much before now. Haven't flown in days, yesterday it rained again, today would have been good, but yesterday I got stung by a bee above my eye, and after the day I had today, I didn't feel up to it this evening. My right eye was completely swollen shut this morning. Got the swelling down with an ice pack this morning and still managed to play tennis this afternoon, as I do most Sundays. Mostly played OK, but totally missed some overheads, vision was still impaired by swollen upper eyelid.
Power went off in house about an hour ago, part of why I am on my cellphone, much easier to typs on computer. Reported power off, substation problem. Added a flashlight app to my phone. Haven't seen such pitch black darkness in a long time like when the power went off. Power just came back on, less than an hour and a half. Goodnight.
Jun 03, 2019, 03:55 AM
Quite an adventure. Hope your luck changes soon.
Jun 03, 2019, 11:48 AM
Krotow
Bee had no proper softmounting installed. Direct yaw spin to your eye. It will be fine, but next days will be difficult, I know. Take care.

I have like 4 flashlights in home and car. So far managed to get around with two of them. Maybe you should get a generator for your home. By the way I'm curious what power companies will do with incoming wave of fully electric cars in next years. From other side those may work as backup power generators in case of disaster like yours by powering your home in some degree until power is restored.

Friend gave 3 years old Android tablet (Asus Zenpad 8.0 Z380KL) for check which became too slow as they said. Except usual stupidities like zillion Instagram and Facebook notification popups left it was fine. Real cause of slowness was lack of RAM in that device. Unfortunately new apps are huge and eat RAM like candy. Even 2 GB RAM in this tablet often is too small for recent app versions. 2-3 opened large apps then swapping and lagging begins. Cache cleaning may help but not for long. Pity, that tablet is cool otherwise. Nice screen, big battery and good external speaker in cover. Dunno what to do with it - maybe I will root it and then replace stock firmware to smaller one.

My car licence plate LED light assembly replacing lightened my wallet for 54 euros. Luckily it appeared cheaper than I expected. I'm curious how much fried LED day light repair for newer car front lights will cost. Those also are irreplaceable and single front light assembly in a new car cost a small fortune. I starting to miss old incandescent replaceable bulbs

At least weather is fine again. +23C and sun at today. Very windy though.
Jun 03, 2019, 02:49 PM
Quote:

My car licence plate LED light assembly replacing lightened my wallet for 54 euros. Luckily it appeared cheaper than I expected. I'm curious how much fried LED day light repair for newer car front lights will cost. Those also are irreplaceable and single front light assembly in a new car cost a small fortune. I starting to miss old incandescent replaceable bulbs

But...but... weren't these LED lights supposed to have a much longer life span then bulbs? At least that was one of the reasons to push this type of light...
Jun 03, 2019, 04:03 PM
GOT WINGS
I probably have more than two dozen flashlights, some are fairly good ones. Harbor Freight tools has coupons for free flashlights so every time I buy something there I get a free LED flashlight. Some have 9 LEDs and some have 24 LEDs, actually fairly good flashlights for free. But I did not think to use the one by my computer nor did I have my phone when the power went off. Don't think a generator would be worth the cost, power is usually not off for more than a few hours. Only happened once when a tornado came through my county in 1979, power was off close to a week. Then I hooked up my Miller welder to my house and was able to power a few lights, the television, and maybe the refrigerator.

54 euros for a licence plate light still sounds expensive but glad you think it was reasonable and got it done.

LED light are getting cheaper, a 60 watt GE Basic LED bulb is down to about $1.25 US apiece now. But I don't think I have replaced an LED bulb that has lasted more than two years in moderate to heavy use. I use a marker to write the date of installation of the LED bulbs. But I have incandescent bulbs that have out lasted some of the LEDs. Oh well, maybe I am saving money on electricity??
Jun 03, 2019, 05:04 PM
Krotow
Sirius, aren't you living in "Tornado Alley" by occasion? Seen quite much about this phenomenon, scary stuff. Would be not nice to lost all at once when this thing is going over area where you are living.

LED flashlights where light is made from many LED's are not my favorites. They are fine nearby, but not light enough to light most of room good enough. Except if light is floodlight type made from a rectangular panel - but that is already different type of lamp anyway. From other side those flashlights that is made from several LEDs in round pattern, usually draw less current but not much less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
But...but... weren't these LED lights supposed to have a much longer life span then bulbs? At least that was one of the reasons to push this type of light...
Depends from how LED is powered, how it is installed and from LED itself. Small indicator LEDs in various devices, especially red ones may last several decades. More powerful ones usually does not live long. Also blue and white types "live" faster. Though powered on 70-80% from max output they may last 10 years or more. Heat kills them and it happens fast. Also LEDs must be installed properly. Nowadays almost every lighting LED light contain SMD type LEDs soldered on PCB board and these may disconnect due to car vibrations. Most likely same happened in mine licence plate lamp too. Because module is glued and filled with compound, I had no wish to deal with opening. It lived 6 years by the way. So I have no big expectations about longevity of LED front and tail lights. They will burn out even faster. And good if they are standard replaceable ones, otherwise be ready for noticeable spending. Probably they may live longer if more powerful LEDs are used in less power mode. However I don't believe that in age of planned obsolescence car manufacturers will be so kind and will make car main lights in way that lights will outlive car itself

Mother's TV died at yesterday. Had no wish to dig into 25 years old CRT TV box and gave her spare PC display as temporary replacement. TV in house receive content over Internet and ITV decoder box have HDMI output. Now I must solve a little thing - how to get sound out from decoder box. I have no spare active speakers left. Seems I should lend them somewhere.
Jun 03, 2019, 07:48 PM
GOT WINGS
Yes, I live in Tornado Alley, but so far this year just a few tornadoes and nothing closer than 50 miles. Lot's of tornadoes have occurred in states north and east of here. Tornado season is mostly over, but they can happen any time of year. I read that there was a tornado recently in Canada.
I was in Wichita Falls, Texas on April 10, 1979 when that F5 tornado hit there. It was very large and caused massive destruction. I was driving towards the point where it started and actually saw it form and drop down out of the clouds. If I had kept going I might have been safe, but I turned around and drove away from it. It followed me most of the way down that major street, at times filling the entire back window of my car. I remember seeing what looked like a bed mattress about 200 feet up in the air, but I was more concentrating on where I was going than looking back. Ran a few stoplights, passed an ambulance at one point, then the ambulance passed me with lights flashing and siren on when it realized what was behind him. I turned off south and was safe, took back roads home - about 50 miles west. About the same time, a tornado hit the town 10 miles west of where I live, and that one knocked out my electricity. I have seen tornadoes since then, a small one was even headed towards my house once. But by the time I got my basement ready to go into and went back out to look, it was gone. In over 40 years of living in this house, that was the closest I ever got to going into the basement during a storm or tornado warning.
A few weeks ago, the news/weather forecasters were making a big deal about a severe weather threat here. I was working at the high school where my children were. People started taking their kids out of school at noon because of the weather. Radar showed the closest storms to be hours away. Finally after 7pm that evening, we had some thunder, lighting, rain, and winds, but nothing severe. I don't overreact to dark weather, especially not based on what the sensationalizing new media reports about it.

Quick Reply