Dec 03, 2015, 09:01 PM
Extremely Twisted
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheEdge
Once I saw it wasn't listed with the other specs I got a little leery. Then I pulled up the manual. The manual list the weight at 3.6oz on page 2. Maybe the manual is wrong.......???? I certainly hope so.

I have the Carbon Cub. Enjoyed flying it. Fun times with the flaps but it always flew much heavier on the wing than the Champ. Then the Sport Cub came out and it flies much lighter and slower than the Carbon Cub with flaps down. Still not as light on the wing as the Champ but with ailerons and the ability to cross control it became my favorite micro.

This new J-3 Cub gains about two inches of wing (about a 10% increase although not sure on the square inches ) but the weight goes up by 80%! (2.0 oz vs 3.6) Again, I won't rule it out till I fly one but adding the weight of the battery and brushless motor and only a marginal increase in the wing only leads me to think it won't fly as light.

I hope I'm wrong.
It probably won't fly as light as the SCS, but it's not supposed to. The SCS is meant to be a trainer. The CC does not fly heavy, and I personally prefer its flying characteristics to the SCS.
Last edited by Eagle2Nitro; Feb 01, 2016 at 01:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2015, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
What manual are you looking at? I don't see a weight spec.

EDIT

Ok I see it now, missed that somehow when I looked earlier. 3.6oz, (102g)

(UMX CC is 3.17oz or 90g, not 2.0oz)
The 2.0 oz spec was referring to the Sport Cub.
Dec 03, 2015, 09:14 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Gotcha.

With the slighly larger size, it should have about the same wing loading as the UMX CC.
Dec 03, 2015, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2Nitro
It probably won't fly as light as the SCS, but its not supposed to.
So it's purposely designed to fly heavier? Not sure that's what they were going for. Not knocking HH or the plane. Just can't see it flying the way I like to fly at that wing loading. Lighter is better.......whether it's a trainer or not.

Quote:
The CC does not fly heavy,
Never said the CC flew heavy. Just that it flew heavier than the Champ. That's certainly no surprise but my point is that the Sport Cub came along and it had ailerons and a wing loading almost as light as the Champ.
Dec 03, 2015, 09:27 PM
Quote:
So it's purposely designed to fly heavier? Not sure that's what they were going for. Not knocking HH or the plane. Just can't see it flying the way I like to fly at that wing loading. Lighter is better.......whether it's a trainer or not.

Never said the CC flew heavy. Just that it flew heavier than the Champ. That's certainly no surprise but my point is that the Sport Cub came along and it had ailerons and a wing loading almost as light as the Champ.
Which is exactly why some, including myself, will argue that the SCS is exactly what it should be, when some say it should have been brushless
Dec 03, 2015, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Gotcha.

With the slightly larger size, it should have about the same wing loading as the UMX CC.
Perhaps. But now I'm thinking (and hoping) the 3.6 oz spec isn't correct on the new J-3 UMX. Can't image the Carbon Cub with the scale window, lights, flaps, flap servo can be at 3.17 oz and the J-3 with an inch more of foam on each wing panel with a similar motor and battery would be half and ounce more....??? No windows, flaps, flap servos. 3.6 doesn't make sense unless I'm missing something.
Dec 03, 2015, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Which is exactly why some, including myself, will argue that the SCS is exactly what it should be, when some say it should have been brushless
Yes but I want it ALL. Brushless and 2.0 oz.
Dec 03, 2015, 09:37 PM
Extremely Twisted
Quote:
The CC flies much more scale than the SCS. That's what they were going for. Trainers are usually lighter so they fly slower, giving the learner more time to react. Extreme lightness is not always better.

Nothing wrong with preferring a floatier plane. I just personally like my planes a bit more solid-feeling in the air. I'm sure the new J3 will fly great, probably very scale.

What size batteries did you run in your CC?
Dec 03, 2015, 09:49 PM
Quote:
What size batteries did you run in your CC?
Stock 180mah.

I haven't tried the Pitts/Yak prop on the CC suggested above. Does this yield more torque, speed or longer flight times?
Dec 03, 2015, 10:01 PM
Closed Account
why didn't they just put a Brushless motor in the SCS, that would have sufficed most of us

But no we get brushed motors instead....

now another complete plane..............WHY-WHY-WHY ????

No buying for me for awhile.....have way to many now ( I know i said it )....

but with DOT/FAA nonsense...who knows what they are going to do to our hobby
Dec 03, 2015, 10:11 PM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
Looks like I'll be adding another 3S powered UMX plane to my fleet.

Should be an excellent driveway flier.

Roger
It is another Cub, but it will be fun. The battery compartment seems nice too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28pc
ANOTHER Cub?!?! Apparently the only four planes Horizon can make are Cubs, Mustangs, Trojans, and Pitts Model 12's. Couldn't they have made a Cessna 140 or a Cherokee, or a 172 or a Bonanza something different?
LOL so true. I wish they didn't have so many Cubs already or this would be more exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGhost
why didn't they just put a Brushless motor in the SCS, that would have sufficed most of us

But no we get brushed motors instead....

now another complete plane..............WHY-WHY-WHY ????

No buying for me for awhile.....have way to many now ( I know i said it )....

but with DOT/FAA nonsense...who knows what they are going to do to our hobby
The FAA won't do much to us who fly planes at reasonable heights, like the plane in this thread. The quads are the things in jeopardy. Regardless, don't let them stop you from having fun until the hammer drops.
Dec 03, 2015, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Stock 180mah.

I haven't tried the Pitts/Yak prop on the CC suggested above. Does this yield more torque, speed or longer flight times?
The Carbon Cub's weight is listed as 3.17oz. If this J-3 is 3.6oz, that's not a significant increase in weight considering its 2" longer wingspan. Should work out great.

I fly my CC with Babbelbatt's Hyperion 160 in calm air, his Hyp 240 in light winds, and his Hyp 500 in stronger winds. The added weight helps give her stability and better control in those situations. I expect that may hold true for this one. Will be interesting to see.

Tom
Dec 03, 2015, 10:52 PM
I review RC Products
The CC is great in the wind!

E-Flite UMX Carbon Cub SS BNF RC Plane in Strong Winds at Bell Air RC Field in Ferndale, WA (4 min 14 sec)
Dec 03, 2015, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Perhaps. But now I'm thinking (and hoping) the 3.6 oz spec isn't correct on the new J-3 UMX. Can't image the Carbon Cub with the scale window, lights, flaps, flap servo can be at 3.17 oz and the J-3 with an inch more of foam on each wing panel with a similar motor and battery would be half and ounce more....??? No windows, flaps, flap servos. 3.6 doesn't make sense unless I'm missing something.
I don't think it's just a matter of a longer wing, the entire plane is probably a slightly larger scale. The J3 and Carbon Cub are roughly the same dimensions, there's certainly less difference in wingspan than what 2" on our model would acount for if they were the same scale...

J3
Wingspan: 35.25ft
Length: 22.5 ft

CC
Wingspan: 34.25 ft
Length: 22.75 ft

Quote:
Yes but I want it ALL. Brushless and 2.0 oz.
I may do Blaze's 2S brushless on one of my 2 SCS, then I will have it all, depending on my whim any given day

- stock SCS with its SAFE features and floaty flight characteristic which I do enjoy.

- 2S brushless SCS (which Blaze says retains many of its original flight characteristics, the ones I enjoy most like its floatiness)

- brushless J3 (converted aesthetically to a PA-18)

One of those will likely become a dedicated float (only) plane
Dec 03, 2015, 11:52 PM
If i get this.......I will set it up for HardCore 3D.............
Last edited by dalecheek1; Dec 04, 2015 at 12:07 AM.

Quick Reply