Dec 16, 2019, 08:11 PM
Elfi Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Don't have the UMX J3 or P-51 - but I agree that AS3X is absolutely amazing, especially on the smaller stuff! Here's my UMX Beast 3D, laughing at a 26 MPH wind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OJyqOZKHEU

Joel
What you do with your UMX Beast is absolutely amazing!! Hat's off to your talent. You would probably find the UMX P-51 BL to be of interest. However, I doubt if it could perform the way your UMX Beast 3D does in windy conditions. The P-51 BL UMX is my "go to" plane when winds are "moderate to heavy".

RD
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2020, 03:29 PM
AeroDan
Looks like this (UMX J-3 Cub) has been discontinued by HH. So, take care of it. I try to baby mine @my club field.
Jan 10, 2020, 08:55 PM
Elfi Flyer

Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
Looks like this (UMX J-3 Cub) has been discontinued by HH. So, take care of it. I try to baby mine @my club field.
Absolutely cannot figure out why HH or other suppliers discontinue really GREAT models! Glad I have two of the UMX J-3 BL Cubs in the fleet!

RD
Jan 24, 2020, 01:39 PM
Michael S.
Fitted out my Cub with LEDs for night flying.
Jan 24, 2020, 02:21 PM
Goodgawd, that looks exactly like my workbench!
Jan 24, 2020, 06:21 PM
Michael S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coptafeel
Goodgawd, that looks exactly like my workbench!
Jan 24, 2020, 07:13 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Absolutely cannot figure out why HH or other suppliers discontinue really GREAT models! Glad I have two of the UMX J-3 BL Cubs in the fleet!

RD
Same reason they dropped the too-cool Waco ..... Demand is not high enough. A damn shame too.
Jan 26, 2020, 10:12 AM
AeroDan
HH discontinued their UMX WACO BL, too? Wonder if they they’ll ever put out a 2S Tiger Moth?
Jan 31, 2020, 07:40 AM
Michael S.
A cool but invigorating morning flight with my J3 now with nav lights!!

J3 Cub 01 30 20 (4 min 38 sec)
Feb 02, 2020, 11:22 PM
Elfi Flyer

R-m-f-m-i-t-w !

Weekend weather essentially the same as it has been for the last 2 or 3 months.....cold, rainy and windy on the weekends, especially Sunday's when I get out to fly. Today was a bit of an exception, temperatures in the mid 50's, clear and sunny but......same ole, same ole in the wind department. Average winds were close to 7 mph, but gusting as high as 20 mph, enough to flip my 1.5M Turbo Timber completely upside down while it was just parked there in the pit area. Nobody else at our club field put anything up, but no real serious problem for my UMX J-3 BL Cub #2. Still amazes me how the BL J-3 Cub can handle the wind. The J-3 and the P-51 BL are my go-to heavy wind micro flyers!

Real Men Fly Micros In The Wind!

RD
Feb 03, 2020, 07:59 AM
Michael S.
Yes. The Cubs are amazing in the wind.
Feb 08, 2020, 08:41 PM
It's only money & foam...
Happy to say I decided to join the UMX “Cub Club”! Picked one up at the local hobby shop last night along with the Eflite 850mm Pitts. Went ahead with the wheel mod on this little J-3. Hopefully I can get a maiden in tomorrow.... old man winter permitting.
Feb 14, 2020, 04:54 PM
This bird is a joy to fly. Spent 6 batteries this afternoon after a long time neglecting the J3.

Made me feel bad since this plane is perfect. Nothing better for touch and goes.

Tracks perfectly straight. Loops and Cuban eights as much as you want.

My ailerons servos became tired of long absence of use. Jittery.

Soaked them with electric contact cleaner which stopped the jitter. But after a few flights the mechanism went dry : very noisy and slower. Soaked them with light oil and I am all set again.

Flies better than me. I need to hone my skills again.
Feb 14, 2020, 05:30 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales
This bird is a joy to fly. Spent 6 batteries this afternoon after a long time neglecting the J3.

Made me feel bad since this plane is perfect. Nothing better for touch and goes.

Tracks perfectly straight. Loops and Cuban eights as much as you want.

My ailerons servos became tired of long absence of use. Jittery.

Soaked them with electric contact cleaner which stopped the jitter. But after a few flights the mechanism went dry : very noisy and slower. Soaked them with light oil and I am all set again.

Flies better than me. I need to hone my skills again.
Not supposed to use contact cleaner or oil on the resistive strip, as it will cause them to fail. There's only one product designed for cleaning the resistive strip in potentiometers - it's called DeoxIT. It's the only stuff we use in the professional audio industry for maintaining the pots & sliders in our recording gear.

Use D5 for cleaning/deoxidizing, cycle the servo a few times, follow-up with a shot of F5 FaderLube to restore the resistive strip's natural lubricity, and cycle a few times. Repeat periodically, as part of your normal preventive maintenance routine.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ent-spray-5-oz

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ent-spray-5-oz

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9
Feb 15, 2020, 03:32 PM
Many thanks Joel.

Already heard and benefited from this sound advice. I bought these products although difficult to find in France.

They are at my home and I am on holiday and took the J3 for a spin.

So that was a crash plan to stay airborne.

Best.

Quick Reply