Dec 03, 2015, 01:48 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
I do love Cubs more than the next guy, and I will be getting one of these at some point...but holy cow Horizon. They might want to think about changing their name to Horizon "Cub" Hobby. I don't think any single product developer has as many cubs on the market at any given time, than Horizon. Lets see a UMX Super Decathlon!

-CC
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2015, 02:22 PM
Looks like yet another PZ re-tread!!!

Can't tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks like the old PZ UMX J-3 Cub that was introduced in October 2009 and discontinued in July 2012. They upgraded the motor, gave it AS3X, and brought it out under the Eflite name. The old product number was PKZ3900.

For those who don't remember, the PZ UMX J-3 Cub never sold well. It was more expensive and had poorer flying characteristics than it's "cousin", the fabulous HZ Champ.

Hopefully with the new motor and AS3X it will be better than the Champ and will gain a following.
Dec 03, 2015, 02:31 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Also this new J3 has ailerons, and is a little bigger. I do believe that the Parkzone brand is being phased out, which is why we are seeing the re-hashing.

18.2 inches vs 26.4 inch spans
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop
Dec 03, 2015, 02:43 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Yup!

The old PZ UM J-3 (NOT UMX) was considerably smaller than the 1s brushed UMs that use the 8.5mm pager-motor (such as the UM Champ), and it also used a much smaller pager-motor. The UMX J-3 is a completely different airframe.

There's no such thing as owning too many Cubs, so I'll be getting one of these for sure!

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9
Dec 03, 2015, 03:08 PM
DFS#000178
One thing I noticed immediately.

The wing is flat-bottomed, not undercambered.

That already makes it better than the Sport Cub S and UMX Carbon Cub.

Still, ANOTHER CUB? That's what, 12 or 13 in their current lineup?
Dec 03, 2015, 03:19 PM
More span (extra two inches) and less weight (no flap servo) should make it a gentler flier than the UMX Carbon Cub. It should fly well with the floats originally intended for the UMX Carbon Cub. The UMX Sport Cub S (1S power) flew ok with these floats- the new Cub with 2S power and greater wing area should be a fine seaplane for low wind days. No SAFE, but that is what the Sport Cub S is for. Yup, there are lots of Cubs, but this was a slot waiting to be filled. Yup, I'd have preferred a Champ in this size and 2S, but that won't keep me from acquiring this Cub.
Dec 03, 2015, 03:28 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Another thing I noticed - it comes with the Pitts/Yak prop! Maybe the engineers read my report on how well that prop works on the CC.

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9
Dec 03, 2015, 03:39 PM
I had the little Parkzone J-3 Cub as my second RC airplane. I flew it for hundreds of flights and 5 or 6 motors wore out. It was lightweight almost like this new UMX one (its specs do not say its weight so it is weightless, I wonder how they engineered that) therefore it rose in thermals frequently.
Dec 03, 2015, 03:47 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Well, that's "close" to my wish. I've been wanting a Horizon produced scale (foam) Piper PA-18 Super Cub for about 3 or 4 years now. The PZ/HZ Cubcrafters Sport Cubs (bought) / Carbon Cub (didn't buy) have been my "close enough" compromise but they're only based the Super Cub and not exactly what I wanted, I prefer the aesthetics and lines of the Piper.

It wouldn't take much to turn this into one... a PA-18 cowl (which I've already been converting one of my SCS's to after a straight in vertical dive that crunched the nose) and a modification to the rudder shape which would be easy to do with a bit of Depron. The only drag is it would be J3 yellow (been there done that on repainting these UMs and won't attempt it again).

It would need to be a PA-18 to look "right" with bushwheels (which mine would definitely have).

I guess a PA-18 doesn't look so bad in yellow...

Name: 2031181.jpg
Views: 215
Size: 400.7 KB
Description:
Name: 735873.jpg
Views: 177
Size: 198.3 KB
Description:
Dec 03, 2015, 03:53 PM
One more flight...
UMX...26" span???? Awful big to be called UMX IMHO.
Dec 03, 2015, 04:06 PM
DFS#000178
Yeah, 26" is kind of big. That's not really "Ultra" micro. Micro maybe. Then again, it's only 2" more than the Sport Cub S and CCSS. And less span than the Radian.
Dec 03, 2015, 04:17 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Yeah, 26" is kind of big. That's not really "Ultra" micro. Micro maybe. Then again, it's only 2" more than the Sport Cub S and CCSS. And less span than the Radian.
Which is only 1" per wing, so not much bigger. I'm glad it's a little bigger and was hoping when I first saw mention of it that it was at least as big as the SCS/UMX CC. The floats will be slightly out of scale but, watching the video, they don't look "wrong", so that's good
Dec 03, 2015, 04:52 PM
DFS#000178
I'm glad they've gone to a fully airfoiled wing, but honestly I think if I wanted another Cub in this size I'd get the 250 Clipped. Only a little bigger and balsa. And on sale right now for $80.
Dec 03, 2015, 05:02 PM
Modeler
Very nice. I'll be watching to see how (and when) it turns out.
Dec 03, 2015, 05:13 PM
**I'm Battman**
Looks like I'll be adding another 3S powered UMX plane to my fleet.

Should be an excellent driveway flier.

Roger

Quick Reply