C5A Galaxy oops - RC Groups
Jul 22, 2004, 10:04 PM
Come fly with us in Henryetta

C5A Galaxy oops

A relative sent me this and I thought it was worth sharing!
Wes
NORFOLK Naval Air Station Virginia -- One of the military's largest
transports got stuck at the end of a runway atop the I-564 overpass
for more than 16 hours. It was unable to turn around at the West end
of
Chambers Field at the Norfolk Naval Station. The incident forced
the
closing of the field to all but helicopter traffic and made for a
dramatic
sight for hundreds of motorists passing beneath it during morning
rush
hour.

"That thing's like a big building sitting there.'' said motorists.
The nose
of the aircraft actually stuck out and OVER the Interstate!

The aircraft's nose was so far over the end of the ramp, the crew was
unable to see the runway where it was supposed to turn around so the
pilot simply had to leave it at the end of the runway. The Air
Force C-5
Galaxy, largest airplane in the free world, is almost as long as a
football
field and as high as a six-story building.

Weighing 420 tons with a full load, it uses a system of 28 wheels to
distribute its weight. The aircraft had to wait for a specially
made tow
bar trucked in from Dover, Del. When the tow bar arrived, it was used
to hook the C-5 to a tractor that then turned the aircraft
around. The
plane was not damaged.
Jul 23, 2004, 09:50 AM
Deep Sea
It's always an interesting sight, driving under that bridge when there is an aircraft on the ramp. I've always hoped that the structural design and construction of that section didn't go to the lowest bidder .
Jul 24, 2004, 01:48 AM
Calm winds and CAVU skies
Glad we don't have that problem with the C-5 at Altus AFB. If they were flying the C-17 instead, all they would have to do is pull the power levers back to reverse thrust and back up. Anyways, it sure is nice getting to see both planes fly over me all the time. I've even stood underneath them when they were landing. They were low enough that I could feel the wind pick up shorty after they passed over. The C-5 is not very easy on your ears at that range though, course, it's lound miles away better yet a hundred feet.
Jul 24, 2004, 04:51 AM
Oh man! For those that haven't seen a C5 that thing is huge! I've seen them land quite a few times as i work on an airport. Actually seen the damn thing go in reverse and pull in to the taxi way, and also have been standing underneath when landing what a rush! Its almost like seing a football court flying over you. Where i work we wouldn;t have that problem ever as we have more that 11,000 fet of runway can anyone guess where's that at?
Jul 24, 2004, 06:25 PM
Elvington in Yorkshire is a bit longer than that, but it's only a museum site now....
Jul 25, 2004, 01:03 AM
Calm winds and CAVU skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife3dge
Where i work we wouldn;t have that problem ever as we have more that 11,000 fet of runway can anyone guess where's that at?
That's kind of tough to guess. An 11,000 ft. runway isn't unique. I'm right between two runways that are over 13,000 feet long. Altus AFB has a runway that is about 13,400 ft, while Clinton-Sherman has a 13,500 ft. runway. I've landed on both of them!

Yes, the C-5 is pretty amazing in size. It always looks like it is going only 20 MPH or so when they are flying around here. Only Russia has planes bigger than the Galaxy. The AN-225 is the biggest, while the AN-124 is next. I was able to see the C-5 and AN-124 at the same airport at the same time. Unfortunately, they were not parked next to each other, so it was a bit hard to compare their size while looking at them in different areas. Didn't seem like there was a whole lot of difference.
Last edited by globemaster3c17; Jul 25, 2004 at 01:12 AM.
Jul 25, 2004, 02:32 AM
let say its the biggest on the caribbean.....Ramey..used to be an aiforce base at the time of vietnam and stuff like that....mainly used for cargo and comercial service now.
Jul 25, 2004, 06:44 PM
Mumbling in the corner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife3dge
Where i work we wouldn;t have that problem ever as we have more that 11,000 fet of runway can anyone guess where's that at?
Lincoln, Ne. USA? (One of the alternate landing sites for the space shuttle due to the runway length)
Jul 26, 2004, 01:55 AM
No, its Ramey base well at least it used to be Ramey base, on Aguadilla Puerto Rico. Now it's Aeropuerto Rafael Hernandez not sure if its on the list for shuttle landings though...
Aug 02, 2004, 04:31 PM
Zoom, zoom...
We were stationed at Ramstein AFB in Germany from '83 to '91. During the Gulf War, they flew C-5s every 45 minutes, 24-7. You get a real appreciation of them having so many of those loud buggers taking off and landing at all hours. We also had the distinction of having one of the few crashes of that plane happen at our base. After the initial FAA investigation, civilians were alowd to tour the crash site while it was being removed. Pretty intence.
Aug 02, 2004, 05:54 PM
HeliAP'er!
Blimey! A crashed C5?! Must have made a helluva mess! Did you get any photos of it?!
Aug 02, 2004, 10:24 PM
Zoom, zoom...
My folks have the pics we took (they are in Germany still). I have one in my yearbook (I was in 11th grade when it happened). I will try and scan it in later on tonight.