Wowings Skua and Booby Build Thread - Page 3 - RC Groups
Oct 05, 2004, 07:37 PM
antipodean recalcitrant
Hey, what the heck, they can keep that bit and leave us the rest!!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2004, 09:53 PM
Closed Account

my website is up and running

www.darksiderc.tk Check it out
Last edited by flybaby2000; Oct 05, 2004 at 10:02 PM. Reason: blooper
Oct 05, 2004, 09:55 PM
Closed Account
keep them rolling , Ill be stoked to see how yours turns out , i have just replaced my servos in the skua with metal gear ones as i was using some that where 3 years old that sorta died after a few combat rounds "ah derr" , since then i am keen to go and get the flying shots for my thread , i love this plane and i cant wait till the end of the week as the slopes are open here and the weather is phenomenol. I just keep forgetting the camera , "sorry kye my oops"

good job so far , keep the pics coming..

with my skua i balanced at 157mm for a little extra oomp as the wind here is usually higher than standard.

heres a pic of my skua , the tassie tiger

cheers
Doug
Oct 06, 2004, 12:08 AM
I like em strong & silent

Deco Apologies

Hi guys
Re the flag Anton/Steve W
Southern cross will be cut from gold sheet in photo I wouldnt dream of missing it out .

Steve
Oct 06, 2004, 02:50 AM
Closed Account
Aussie flage sounds cool , i went for aussie colours

cheers

Doug
Last edited by flybaby2000; Oct 10, 2004 at 06:41 AM.
Oct 06, 2004, 02:55 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
no problem gold stars hmmm they are usually white but we can live with gold but you gotta throw a bit of green in there then
Oct 08, 2004, 02:52 AM
Closed Account
cant wait to see it , so when ya doing more , so far it looks great

cheers
doug
Oct 08, 2004, 05:12 PM
Hi All
Well been cutting out gold stars all night hope you think its worth it and I dont offend anyone but it was all done in the best possible taste.
Inlcluded a photo of my balance rig I use the MPX and just stuck a piece of straight strip across to balance noses on.

Doug I have used Hitec MG on all ailerons but beefed up Booby elevator to 5.4kg torque + MG.
As others have reported problems with this servo taking a bashing.

I am pressing on with skua now, quick photo of progress so far back into taping again.
All bieng well Booby should get Maiden on sunday after F3F comp.

Steve
Oct 09, 2004, 09:34 AM
Closed Account
looks nice , i have just switched to mg servos also as i had a few bashings with the standard ones , i am hoping that i will be able to get some flying pics of mine for this weekend , also i like your balancing rig , what i use is a home made swivel with an adjustable clamp to go th chord of the wing with some velcro loop to hold the wing in place, the pivot slides to the c of g on a ruler of 45cm , then i clamp the pivot and balance the wing its simple but effective.

cheers
doug

cant wait to see how your skua turns out
Oct 09, 2004, 06:13 PM

All Connected And ready to play!!

Hi All
I'm off to get a couple of ours sleep now but Booby is all connected decorated and balanced ready to go.
Needed another 1oz on each nose to get balance right.
Otherwise all ready to go connection etc as per Kye's instructions.

Cant wait till morn'in

Steve
Oct 10, 2004, 03:10 AM
silent flight
Looking nice Steve, can't wait to see it next time you come to Wales.

Mike_Y
Oct 10, 2004, 07:10 AM
Closed Account

way too much fun!

really cool steve , I like the holographic stars , i have been combatting the skua here in tasmania and it out flies my zagi 5c by far , i just love the way it moves. also i can see the possiblities of computer mixing on the booby , possibly use the elevator as a flap to lose speed while in combat and drop behind the enemy , or reduce the landing speed on final. also i have never seen a flying wing with flaperon , there are many combinations , even a four servo crow , maybye kye should make a four servo ds model called the "crow" that would be cool , id also love to reveiw the booby , but the truth is im having way to much with a stock skua , which i must admit is lots of fun , and i will be getting some flying shots real soon , if i can get someone to hold the camera , and i remember to bring it along , I just joined a clube here im sure they will help..

good luck and fly rings around the other combat planes also check these photos I re-done the covering yellow just after ripping my gears , i cant wait to get thos flying shots also the pink was a cheap tape from the hardware store "That is actually quite heavy" after the recover it was much lighter.

Cheers
Doug

p.s love to have a booby in the collection to one day , be great to review one too "maybye some custom artwork to give flair" , good luck with yours and "godspeed" , just dont get hit in the head with the skua..

peace out~!
Oct 10, 2004, 10:25 AM

Maiden at last and boy was it worth it!!!

Hi All
Just got back from test flight with booby first chuck resulted in vertical climb and landing at feet put in 2 notches of down and away she went then spent 2-3 minutes putting another few clicks of down booby just kept getting better. I really like the way this plane looks in the air reminds me of the "Batwing" The powerful elevator really yanks it round the turns.
Tried an initial crow setting but way to much down flap/elevator?
I think it will end up with just the ailerons going up but we will see spent the rest of the morning seeing how close I could get to my Freind with the camera Sometimes he actually took a photo of the plane!!
Only Joking here are a few photo's will take some more next time,
After a 10min flight landed and added more nose weight and reduced down elevator but still seems to want a bit more nose wieght.
We flew in very blustery 20mph winds so difficult to really judge trim.

Mike Y Thanks for the complement cant wait to come and try it in wales It would make a great Video subject don't you think? and I know the perfect sound track nudge nudge wink wink
Oct 10, 2004, 10:30 AM

And some more Photo's

Thanks to Pete And Trevor for Photo's and Kye for a great design!!

Various flight photo's . It is very difficult to keep in frame! and a shot of our easterly bowl.

Steve
Oct 10, 2004, 10:36 AM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
Hi guys, you Booby looks good. I just did a video this week of mine .

Here it is including some DS. Have you tried DS with yours?

Booby Video

Steve
http://www.californiasailplanes.com

Quick Reply