Nov 28, 2015, 08:10 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Control Throw Measurer?

I have been using a protractor for measuring my control throws, but it isn't the most accurate way to do it.

What are your guys' opinion on a good tool to measure throws?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2015, 08:48 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
I use this simple and cheap tool and like it a lot. There are other fancy tools on the market though
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...row_Gauge.html
Nov 28, 2015, 08:49 PM
Thread OP
That one looks like it would work well...is the clamp harsh on the control surfaces at all?
Nov 28, 2015, 08:54 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
No, it has a very soft rubber padding, will not cause any damage.
The only inconvenient is that the scale goes up to 55 degrees only (60 if use the edge).
Nov 28, 2015, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
Cool that looks like a decent scale...I think after 60 degrees it doesn't matter too much anyways
Nov 29, 2015, 10:58 AM
I like the Great Planes Acuthrow. They pop up in the classifieds for around 10 shipped and they work well for most planes at least up to 60 inchers. And while most are looking to get a certain degree of deflection what is more important is that you have equal throw in both directions. Rolling maneuvers become much smoother and the roll rate is maximized when the up degree matches the down degree of the opposite aileron. Some planes require that the ailerons have differential to help stability and eliminate drag in corners usually pylon racers and gliders but since you posted in the 3D forum that probably is irrelevant to your needs.
Last edited by Mr Big Head; Nov 29, 2015 at 11:29 AM.
Nov 29, 2015, 10:59 AM
Thread OP
I just realized the above Hobby King one is in millimeters and not degrees...why the heck would they do that?
Nov 29, 2015, 11:27 AM
Because that is what you want to know. How far the surface deflects. If your surface moves up 10 mm at full deflection it needs to move down 10 mm at full deflection. (or side to side in the rudder) You want the movement to be the same in both directions. Once you are comfortable with flying (3D) you will want your high rate to move the control surfaces as far as possible without binding your servos. Again I am talking 3D type flying. I do not like the kind of meter posted above because it is dependent on the plane being completely level. Any variation at all in that will give you a false reading. Also any binding in its movement would make the reading inaccurate.
Nov 29, 2015, 11:36 AM
Thread OP
Problem with the above meter is that most manuals (Extreme Flight and 3DHS) don't give you "mm" they give you degrees to setup your proper dual rates...I guess the ole protractor is going to still be the best way.
Nov 29, 2015, 11:51 AM
Again it makes no difference if it is degrees, mm, inches, or whatever. The important part is that they move equal amounts in both directions. The manufactures are giving you a basic setting the plane will handle. Your skill level will ultimately define the limits of your throws.
Nov 29, 2015, 11:53 AM
The one that Extreme Flight sells works good for me. Inexpensive and easy to use.
http://extremeflightrc.com/Throw-Met...ws_p_2124.html
Nov 29, 2015, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
I understand that, but I like to make sure my throws are set in degrees to those displayed in the manual. Otherwise I have no idea what my dual rates will be. I am very picky about making sure my plane is setup per the manual before I fly it. Yes, I may tweak some things after I have flown it a bit, but I still like it set per the manual.

Not a big deal though it looks like a protractor is still the best way to measure.
Nov 29, 2015, 11:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKenFly
The one that Extreme Flight sells works good for me. Inexpensive and easy to use.
http://extremeflightrc.com/Throw-Met...ws_p_2124.html
I have looked at this one...wish it had better resolution though.
Nov 29, 2015, 12:20 PM
Team Extreme Flight
I like the protractor-like meter that used to come with the AJ Slicks. You could buy it separately for about $5, and it's simple and works great. I can't find it on the new website, but it was a popular item so they may still have some.
Nov 29, 2015, 12:27 PM
Ronaldo Nogueira
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268
I just realized the above Hobby King one is in millimeters and not degrees...why the heck would they do that?
It is a mistype on the add, the gauge measures in degrees. It would not be possible to have a gauge in length units as it is a function of distance to the hinge line.
Honestly I don't see any logic behind throw measurements in length units besides using a ruler if you don't have a gauge. I simply ignore any manual in mm/ in and use the angles I want.

Quick Reply