Feb 06, 2017, 11:59 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
30mm EDF Mono Maya learning to stabilize in the air with the first tests. Challenging project, being the smallest Nano yet and CG restrictions trying to fit in to a sphere.

We'll see if it makes fully airborne with good maneuverability...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2017, 10:48 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
MonoMaya Learning To Fly - MonoPhan - NanoPhan - Thrust vectoring EDF VTOL (0 min 25 sec)
Feb 11, 2017, 08:22 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Replaced the old battery with a new one and after a couple of tests I could get a longer flight time without crashing. It still crashed in the end and broke it, but good experience was gained with this first MonoMaya prototype. I have a very good idea on the direction to go to get a real Mono out of this cute ball

MonoMaya Learning To Fly - MonoPhan - NanoPhan - Thrust vectoring EDF VTOL (0 min 24 sec)
Mar 04, 2018, 05:20 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
The new MonoMaya. This one has a 35mm EDF and a carbon fiber frame. MonoMaya is a challenging project. Airflow, heat dissipation, weight distribution and internal design are all very tricky and hard to deal with. The first try was last year these times with a 30mm EDF. I always wanted to revisit since then. The carbon frame added some weight therefore the normal 2S setup didn’t support the flight. So, I switched over to 3S and tried to make the necessary changes to deal with extra heat, etc… 3S batteries that I have are very old it’s not holding the altitude for along time. Will order some new batteries and test again.

#DeathStar #MonoMaya #ThrustVectoring #MonoPhan #MonoBot (0 min 21 sec)
Mar 23, 2018, 09:36 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
I got some very inconsistent results from MonoMaya and decided to go a step back and fly it naked to make sure everything works fine. The problems that I found: 3s setup slowly fried the motor and the motor was about to give up and one of the servos was acting funny.

So, I replaced the fan and the funny servo. Recalibrated and ordered a set of new 2s batteries. Now the unit is alive and balanced. Now it’s time to build the spherical body around it.

#DeathStar #MonoMaya #ThrustVectoring #MonoPhan #MonoBot (0 min 30 sec)
Apr 13, 2018, 12:31 AM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
I have been trying to figure how to come up with a durable and light spherical body for MonoMaya since the last video weeks ago. At last I came up with this carbon fiber flex body, which I can cover with whatever I want. I got inspired by an art work that I saw at a store

CARBON FIBER FLEX BODY - MONOMAYA - THRUST VECTORING - MONOPHAN MONOBOT MONOMODULE (0 min 23 sec)
Apr 14, 2018, 04:38 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Oh… my… God! I have a love and hate relationship with the nano units… It’s so hard to get them right. After I built the carbon fiber sphere I had another series of failures. I had to cut the tube to reduce weight, rebuilt all carbon fiber supporting structure from a thinner and lighter sheet, fixing some other design errors. I went back to my notes from the successful nano units and build the exact replica of those nozzles and replaced one more servo. After all this work, it still took me tens of crashes and endless tuning hours and fixes to get the contraption to fly.

For the first time in a long time I felt like the times that I first started the MonoPhan project, where I used to have so little progress and so many crashes…

In the end it happened. Looks and flies nice Enjoy…

CARBON FIBER FLEX BODY - MONOMAYA FLIGHT - THRUST VECTORING - MONOPHAN MONOBOT MONOMODULE (1 min 0 sec)
Apr 15, 2018, 07:26 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
I gotta admit a little hard to handle. You need to be on the controls every second. But the fact that it can handle outdoors is amazing. I felt like I can fly it much faster then I did...

Mini #DeathStar MonoMaya Outdoors Maiden - THRUST VECTORING - MONOPHAN MONOBOT MONOMODULE (2 min 45 sec)
Apr 16, 2018, 12:12 PM
Go small or go home
Orientation must be a real pain!

Are the batteries positioned high for balance reasons, or space requirements?
Apr 17, 2018, 10:31 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam
Orientation must be a real pain!

Are the batteries positioned high for balance reasons, or space requirements?
For balancing purpose. thx
Apr 18, 2018, 12:39 PM
Go small or go home
Have you ever considered having the vanes located in the tube wall so they catch the air stream just after the fan to divert flow out the side above the CG (air scopes in the tube)?
Apr 22, 2018, 08:07 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam
Have you ever considered having the vanes located in the tube wall so they catch the air stream just after the fan to divert flow out the side above the CG (air scopes in the tube)?
My first units had internal vanes. However, even I have thought it, I have not tested directing the air out to the sides above the CG. Thanks!
Apr 22, 2018, 08:07 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
An experimental mechanism. I couldn’t have left let that carbon fiber exo-frame go to waste without trying something like this.

I have no idea if I can get it to fly but looks pretty cool and fully functional.

#EXOSKELETON #SPERICAL #THRUSTVECTORING #MECHANISM – MONOPHAN MONOBOT (0 min 28 sec)
Jul 24, 2019, 08:22 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Only 120G And this is a windy day & still flies like hell. Extremely fun to fly!!! The scaled version of the new 64MM Mono didn't do the job 100%. Had to tweak the design. Dialed in pretty good now...

New Tiny NanoPhan Flies Like Hell:) - MonoPhan MonoBot (1 min 29 sec)
Jul 25, 2019, 05:43 AM
flying beam
Extremely cool stuff. Very nice

Quick Reply