Mar 27, 2016, 09:41 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Flight video of the new Nano unit:

NANO-PHAN 40MM EDF THRUST VECTORING NANO AERO BOT (MONO-PHAN) (3 min 21 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2016, 12:18 AM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Completely re-designed the Nano. Replaced the old 3S fan with a new higher kv 2S fan. Results are nice. Never felt so confident flying the Nano before. Have a problem with the power setting tho. The unit is still cutting off power during the flight…

NANO-PHAN ULTIMATE 40MM EDF THRUST VECTORING SINGLE COPTER (2 min 59 sec)
May 29, 2016, 10:56 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
I had some electric problems with Nano. Towards the end of every flight, the flight controller shut down and I had some rough landings. So, I doubled the UBECs, increasing the power to 6amps but at the end of the first flight in the attached video, the unit shut down again and crashed. The new fan is amazingly powerful but pulls more amps and I think it towards the end of the flights it has been causing the voltage drop to a level that the FC had to shut down. Fortunately, didn’t have a significant damage. This time I changed tactics and added a tiny 2s lipo to the equation, powering the servos and the cam, and took out the second UBEC.

Bingo! I was able to use the last drop of juice in that battery in the second flight. With only one problem. At the beginning of the flight the new added battery came off after takeoff, hanging down from the unit. Amazingly, the unit balanced itself and I was able to land it to get ready for the last glorious flight

This unit is amazingly well balanced and flies very well… Fun stuff.

THE MOSQUITO - NANOPHAN 40MM THRUST VECTROING FPV AEROBOT - MONOPHANN (5 min 15 sec)
Dec 07, 2016, 08:01 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
The new carbon Nano in the making
Last edited by MONOPHAN1; Dec 07, 2016 at 08:13 PM.
Dec 12, 2016, 08:59 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
the new nano carbon frame
Dec 25, 2016, 03:31 AM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Didn't even properly test the unit yet but couldn't resist the temptation of "red on carbon"... Santa called me crazy for being up at 1 am working on this this! hohoho
Dec 25, 2016, 03:27 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
The outdoors maiden flight wasn’t a disaster but proved that I need to make aerodynamic and weight distribution adjustments. There is a little bit of head wind and it didn’t beat the wind. However, the new flight controller showed potential, which will make smaller units possible.

Also, no visible damage after that rough landing. Carbon fiber is doing its job!

nanoC - Indestructible Carbon Frame NanoPhan Outdoord Maiden - thrust vectoring (0 min 57 sec)
Jan 02, 2017, 12:45 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Getting better. First full flight without crash.... By the way I never had to fix the unit by the result of any crashes!!! After the flight the batteries balanced at 560MAH. However, they should hold 900MAH but they are old. This puts the theoretical flight time at over 3minutes, which is pretty good for this size and considering the carbon armor...

NanoC - intestructible thrust vectoring Nano copter - nanoPhan - MonoPhan - MonoBot (2 min 14 sec)
Jan 09, 2017, 08:59 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
I did many flight tests with the indestructible Nano this past week, most of which ended in a crash. In the end, most of the design and flight controller issues were sorted out and the unit was domesticated, being very close to being a real Mono with very good stability and ability to reach high speeds. However, I need to change the wing design to reflect the things learned and make the unit even more durable and faster.

Before I replace the old wings, I wanted to give the condition of the unit after probably 30ish crashes, some as high as 100ft. I even hit a tree once! One crash was on the concrete and others were on grass. I never lost a servo neither an impeller, which is AMAZING! One leg was broken and fixed (which will cause a design improvement), one power cable snapped and was soldered back.

See Pics attached.

I am happy that I am almost there for the first amazingly fast and agile indestructible Mono…
Jan 13, 2017, 10:01 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Now this flies like a real Mono

Installed the newly designed wings. It took me a while to re-balance it (which is a real bitch for the smaller units) but then: boom baby!

There are 2 flights with different setups in this video. First 2 minutes is the first flight without the front wing. It flies pretty good but at 1:30 minute mark it loses balance, telling me needs a little upgrade. Then I fly it a little more until my old batteries die at 2 minute mark.

Then I installed the front wing that I use on some of my units. This flight is after 2 minute mark. It tilts better and flies really well. But this is a test and I have to push it harder and harder. At almost full stick & full horizontal at 3 minute mark it lost it. But its fine, I fly it a little longer after with some cool close passes.

Now I will calibrate the max tilt angle on the FC and we are good to put on the new batteries and have some fun!!!

nanoC - Thrust Vectoring 35mm EDF Nano Single Copter - VTOL - NanoPhan - MonoPhan (3 min 57 sec)
Last edited by MONOPHAN1; Jan 13, 2017 at 10:08 PM.
Jan 14, 2017, 02:12 PM
Go small or go home
Cool! Where is the CG located? If you could make the frame ball shaped and keep the CG low, it would self right on the ground (or at least close enough) that you could simply lift off again after contact.
Jan 14, 2017, 07:55 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam
Cool! Where is the CG located? If you could make the frame ball shaped and keep the CG low, it would self right on the ground (or at least close enough) that you could simply lift off again after contact.
Hi, CG is high, so it wouldn't self correct. I already made my preparations for a spherical smaller 30mm edf unit. That one will be next. I gave a little thought to self correcting on the ground but haven't finalized it yet. Now this unit has been a great experience for me. I will use the carbon frame for the larger dronebuster & monobot units and the new FC for the smaller units. Thanks!
Jan 15, 2017, 03:39 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
totally awesome work man! very unique vtol craft compared to what's offered today.
Jan 15, 2017, 10:04 AM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk
totally awesome work man! very unique vtol craft compared to what's offered today.
Thanks man! having some fun, when I am not pulling my hair
Jan 16, 2017, 09:54 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Testing the flight time with the new batteries while having a little sunset flight fun.

VTOL ELECTRIC JET - nanoC INDESTRUCTIBLE CARBON FRAME THRUST VECTORING NANO-PHAN MONO-PAHN (3 min 12 sec)

The flight time is a solid +3 minutes, which is really good for a nano. Flies like a dream I built multiple 40mm edf nano units in the past. I had all kinds of problems from low fan power to stabilization or electrical problems… In the end this way or that way all were totaled. It is ironic to me that the successful unit turned out to be a 35mm fan in a carbon armor. Feels good having this figured out in the end…

Quick Reply