Dec 29, 2015, 06:02 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
The latest and the best design. Had to use my old camera, so the resolution is not great but itís a freaking amazing flight by this freak!

The Mosquito - NanoPhan 40mm EDF Split Thrust Vectoring Single Copter (2 min 57 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 29, 2015, 07:10 PM
cranium accessories
Nice job! Looks like it phlies phantastic!

I've been thinking about packaging a bit after seeing your last few iterations. I assume the horizontal flat thing has the flight controller goodies in it, and therefore must be mounted horizontally. Any reason the batteries couldn't be mounted lower? Also your servos look pretty big and I know they are dealing with pretty high speed airflow, but it seems like you might be able to get away with smaller units.

Thanks for sharing and keeping us updated! Very cool project!

Bryan
Dec 29, 2015, 07:24 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustn
Nice job! Looks like it phlies phantastic!

I've been thinking about packaging a bit after seeing your last few iterations. I assume the horizontal flat thing has the flight controller goodies in it, and therefore must be mounted horizontally. Any reason the batteries couldn't be mounted lower? Also your servos look pretty big and I know they are dealing with pretty high speed airflow, but it seems like you might be able to get away with smaller units.

Thanks for sharing and keeping us updated! Very cool project!

Bryan
Thank you Bryan!

Yes that flat part is the FC, the batteries need to be high in order to achieve the right center of gravity. I can definitely go with smaller servos, I used what I had in stock.

I will hopefully post some better quality videos soon. Need to make a final adjustment in the aerodynamics to increase the speed, then it should be good.

I intended to build an indoors unit but it turned out to be a park flier

Happy holidays!
Dec 30, 2015, 08:46 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Ok. This is the final design. It looks phreaky sweet!!!

Below is a combination of a couple of flights. After the first two, I replaced the thrust vectoring nozzles with new and larger ones. The reason is that when I fly it backwards, it gets into a cyclic motion, losing altitude. I didnít have this problem in larger units.

Large nozzles are more responsive, so it is a little wobbly in the last flight, requiring the P rate to go down a little. So, will test it tomorrow again with the new P setting to see how the new nozzles perform.

There are some close-ups in the flight video that show how the nozzles operate.

The Mosquito - NanoPhan 40mm EDF Split Thrust Vectoring Single Copter (7 min 39 sec)
Dec 31, 2015, 01:42 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Introducing the FPV Phreak! I plugged a cm205 cam on it. It adds about 8 grams and reduces the flight time a bit but looks good, flies even better

The Mosquito - NanoPhan 40mm EDF Split Thrust Vectoring Single Copter For FPV with CM205 Cam (3 min 0 sec)
Jan 02, 2016, 03:27 PM
I'd trade my car in for this in an instant! When ya gonna start work on the full-size one?? Do it!! very cool indeed
Jan 02, 2016, 08:38 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippytoe
I'd trade my car in for this in an instant! When ya gonna start work on the full-size one?? Do it!! very cool indeed
Dude, I would seriously do it but I don't have a millionaire friend that I can convince to invest
Jan 02, 2016, 08:39 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippytoe
And thanks for the comment!
Jan 05, 2016, 06:36 AM
Really cool. Nice flights!
Jan 05, 2016, 09:52 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF
Really cool. Nice flights!
Thanks bud!
Jan 07, 2016, 05:36 AM

Film of the nozzles being worked

Any chance of some film of the nozzles being moved up close so we can see how it works better please. Also detail of the flight controller would be great.

Thank you

Paul
Jan 10, 2016, 04:25 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackerman
Any chance of some film of the nozzles being moved up close so we can see how it works better please. Also detail of the flight controller would be great.

Thank you

Paul

Hi Paul, sorry I don't have a video of the nozzles working. I'll post one when I have a chance of taking it. There are some close ups in the flight videos though that give a very good visual of them working at flight.

The flight controller is the mini MWC multiwii multirotor flight controller.

Thanks!
Jan 18, 2016, 12:27 AM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
This is the first aerial video of the 40mm unit. I am using a CM205 camera with RC305 receiver and easycap AV USB converter to record it on my computer.

The cam is a little crooked and the resolution is not all that good but not bad for the first time. I am still learning the settings on the easycap and I should be able to get a better resolution. We’ll see…

The Mosquito - NanoPhan 40mm EDF Split Thrust Vectoring Single Copter For FPV with CM205 Cam (2 min 57 sec)
Jan 21, 2016, 06:31 PM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
I think this resolution is way better:

The Mosquito - NanoPhan 40mm EDF Split Thrust Vectoring Single Copter For FPV with CM205 Cam (2 min 26 sec)
Mar 06, 2016, 02:43 AM
Thrust Vectoring EDFs
Thread OP
A new nano unit in the making.

Quick Reply