Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 22, 2004, 12:27 PM
Dive Bomber in Training

How about a compiled list of hints for building/flying?

Has anyone compiled a list for people about building/flying park flyers?

Such as:
BUILD
o Do not use alot of glue to build your plane!
o use velcro for battery placement allows you to adjust the CG easily.
o build your plane to your flying location - tall grass= no landing gear, want to take off=find a place with dirt or pavement.
o If you glass your plane fly it BEFORE painting!!!!

FLY
o bring along a cooler to place your batteries in to cool them down. They operate better when cooler - and charge better. This works best if you are going to stay and fly alot. If you do this I would recommend NOT putting drinks in there also!
o fully discharge your NiMh and Nicads after flying your plane(Not needed with Lipos). Each time you do not fully discharge your batteries you are decreasing the life. By discharge I mean run till the motor cuts off. It wouldn't hurt to fully discharge occasionally too.
o Know other flyers in the area and talk with them. Find out the freqs they use so that you are not working in your garage and shooting down a plane in the park!
o Check your servos EVERY time you fly. Check for direction - you never know if a reverse switch could have accidentally be thrown on the transmitter. I found a tail hinge that was broken this way.
o Do not fly at populated parks!

I've only been flying for a few months - i'm sure there has to be alot more suggestions.
just some thoughts, any more input?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2004, 12:53 PM
Since this is GWS forum ... related to GWS planes:

* GWS supplied glue is good! Use it like contact cement
* GWS hinges are good! Use a drop of foam-safe CA to secure
* CG on most GWS planes are quoted for experienced flyers, you can move it forward 5-10mm
* If you need need to replace a plane, remember that Slope Glider versions are available.

Just a quick comment wrt to batteries though; you don't need to fly till LVC for NiMh or NiCads; just charge and fly. Once in a while you might want to discharge a pack and then slow charge it at C/10. iirc deep cycling batteries (NiCad, NiMh) will decrease the number of life cycles.

As for cooling a pack, DON'T put it in a cooler with ice, etc. You will sooner ruin a pack. Battery packs (esp NiMh) operate BETTER when WARMER. In fact, even if you had just charged a pack 1 hr ago, you can put it back on a peak charger to 'warm it up' - you'll get better performance. Best way to cool a pack is forced-air cooling.
Jul 22, 2004, 04:10 PM
www.silentflyers.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Khor
Since this is GWS forum ... related to GWS planes:

* GWS supplied glue is good! Use it like contact cement
* GWS hinges are good! Use a drop of foam-safe CA to secure
* CG on most GWS planes are quoted for experienced flyers, you can move it forward 5-10mm
* If you need need to replace a plane, remember that Slope Glider versions are available.

Just a quick comment wrt to batteries though; you don't need to fly till LVC for NiMh or NiCads; just charge and fly. Once in a while you might want to discharge a pack and then slow charge it at C/10. iirc deep cycling batteries (NiCad, NiMh) will decrease the number of life cycles.

As for cooling a pack, DON'T put it in a cooler with ice, etc. You will sooner ruin a pack. Battery packs (esp NiMh) operate BETTER when WARMER. In fact, even if you had just charged a pack 1 hr ago, you can put it back on a peak charger to 'warm it up' - you'll get better performance. Best way to cool a pack is forced-air cooling.
Besides, if you put your packs in the cooler, it leaves less room for the beer!

Just kidding of course!
Jul 22, 2004, 05:18 PM
i don't think putting the batteries into a cooler after flight is a good idea, if putting batteries in unusually low temp. is good at all....
Jul 22, 2004, 10:18 PM
Dive Bomber in Training
it is common practice to put regular batteries in the refridgerator to keep the charge. I was under the impression that a hot battery does not charge as well as a cooler one. And by cooler i mean not warm to the touch, not cold to the touch.
Jul 23, 2004, 12:53 AM
HI Bonsai! (Wow, that rhymes )

What you suggest in your first post is what I've tried to do with my Site GWS-Fans.com

Take a peek!

Rev
Jul 23, 2004, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Master
it is common practice to put regular batteries in the refridgerator to keep the charge. I was under the impression that a hot battery does not charge as well as a cooler one. And by cooler i mean not warm to the touch, not cold to the touch.

that's right
hot or even warm packs are not suppose to be charged, natural temp is the best.