Congratulations to the new 2016 USA F3F Team Members:
  • Kyle Paulson
  • Brandon Monte
  • Steve Situm
  • Mehrdad Amir - 1st Alternate
  • David Cortina - 2nd Alternate
  • David Olson - Team Manager
__________________________________________________ ___________

The 2016 F3F World Championship will be next end of Sept/October in Denmark.

The Official Website is not up yet but will be here when available: http://www.wcf3f.dk

The World Championship will be held in the Northwestern part of Denmark near the town of Hanstholm.

It is still early and so not very many details are available yet. When things are made public I will announce here as they become available.

I will also announce here when and where we will have Team practice sessions for the next 11 months......until the Team leaves for Denmark.

Please let me introduce the USA F3F 2016 Team Members:
Last edited by David Olson; Sep 22, 2016 at 10:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2015, 04:08 AM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
Thread OP

Team Pilot - Kyle Paulson:

Kyle Paulson lives in Westlake Village, California.  He is married to his lovely wife Mary Pat Paulson and together they have 4 great children; Courtney, Christian, Kyler and Koby.  Kyle has been a resident of Southern California most of his life and plans to stay for years to come.  Kyle and his family love to camp and travel, at times going to locations and events centered on soaring competitions and fly sites. 

Competition is the big attraction for Kyle in all types of soaring. His specialty has been F3F and F3B.  He flies to compete and always seems to perform well under pressure.  He has been flying RC for 13 years now and is more passionate about it than ever.

Kyle is a sponsored MKS Factory Team Pilot.  Kyle has the upmost confidence and trust in MKS Servos and is very impressed with their performance.  All his planes now have the new MKS-HV servos and they have actually improved his flying.  

Kyle is grateful for all that his sponsors have done for him and says he will do his best to represent them in a professional manner.

He flies TUD’s planes for F3F and F3B, Freestyler 3’s and Freestyler 4’s.  When flying F3J, he flies his new SUSA X3 Explorer...... and is very impressed with it!
Last edited by David Olson; Nov 28, 2015 at 08:41 AM.
Nov 28, 2015, 04:12 AM
Thread OP

Team Pilot - Brandon Monte:

Brandon began flying RC in the mid 80’s. He was first introduced to the world of RC mainly flying PSS planes at Point Fermin in San Pedro, CA. He continued flying until the early 90’s when life took over and then he took a break until early 2004 when he dove back into the world of PSS. Shortly thereafter he was introduced to F3F racing in 2006 and began competing on the local Southern California circuit with SCSR (Southern California Slope Racing.) He spent the next 5 years learning plane setup, flying styles, and energy management with the help of several talented local F3F pilots. Brandon quickly advanced through the ranks and has developed into one of the better F3F pilots in the US. Brandon has won the season points championships for SCSR the past 2 years and has now earned a spot on the current US F3F Team.

Brandon competed in the very first F3F World Championships in 2012 in Germany, as a member of Team USA. Since that time he has traveled and competed at several World Cup events including Spain, Taiwan, and most recently a trip to Denmark. He has committed himself to become accustomed to the pressure and intensity that come with competing in World Class Competitions.

Brandon has been flying Freestyler 4’s for several years now and really likes how they perform. He also is impressed with the performance of the new HV MKS Servos. 

Brandon currently resides near Corona, Ca. and has been married for 20 years to his lovely wife Dawn. They have 2 sons, Trevor and Brian ages 18 and 16. Brian, the youngest, loves to hang out with dad at the slope and run the CD chair. He does a great job and knows how to keep a race running at such a young age! Brandon currently runs a local Real Estate business and enjoys helping others find their dream homes! 
Last edited by David Olson; Nov 28, 2015 at 08:42 AM.
Nov 28, 2015, 04:14 AM
Thread OP

Team Pilot - Steve Situm:

Steve’s first F3F race was in 2000 at Los Banos, California flying the Laser, a vacuum-bagged thermal duration plane. This was just shortly after F3F started in the United States. Steve also competed in thermal duration that year for the first time with the Sacramento Valley Soaring Society (SVSS), winning Sportsman class.

Since then, he’s competed in all but three F3F race seasons in Northern California where he recently has taken first place for the 2015 season. Steve will be flying Freestylers in Denmark, and uses MKS servos exclusively. He also recently started flying his Secret in lighter conditions.

Steve currently lives in the California wine country where he produces his Cabernet, “Ghost Waltz”. Besides his love of flying and wine making, he’s is also a composer, and aerodynamic designer.
Last edited by David Olson; Nov 28, 2015 at 04:04 PM.
Nov 28, 2015, 04:18 AM
Thread OP

Team Pilot - 1st Alternate - Mehrdad Amir:

Mehrdad was introduced to radio controlled model airplanes at Apollo field in Van Nuys, California during the 1980s. He moved to San Francisco bay area in the ‘90s to work in the computer industry. During that period he converted aerobatic models from nitro to electric power. Going into Y2K, he had no exposure to soaring however his plane quiver was shifting to pylon racers and hot-liners.

In 2003 Mehrdad visited the CVRC Visalia Fall Festival to see what it was all about. An avid RC enthusiast in his 30s yet no clue what a thermal duration contest was about, he never had seen a 3 meter sailplane or a launch from a winch followed by a zoom and ping off the line, nor had seen a sky out far then return back to land on a small mark on ground at a precise time! Right then and there he was hooked on pure sailplanes. He joined the SVSS (Sacramento Valley Soaring Society) club near Davis where a fun loving group of pilots taught him to thermal. He started to attend contests in California, Nevada and Arizona, meeting more pilots at different fields and flying conditions.

When slope soaring was first explained to Mehrdad, he went home removed the electric motor from an old flying wing, reset CG and began playing in the wind at nearby hills. However the Aha-moment for him was while spectating at the 2004 Davenport MoM ISR where the head-to-head race action was amazingly thrilling. That year Darrell Zaballos, Joe Wurts and Tom Copp tied for Top Gun position. They had a fly-off to determine 1st, 2nd and 3rd rankings. Watching the iconic trio race side-by-side with turns out far then in close lap-after-lap was the most RC adrenaline Mehrdad had experienced. Not only were they fantastic pilots, it was clear that the entire soaring community at large were about sharing knowledge, helping each other improve and having fun.

Mehrdad joined NCSS (NorCal Slope Soarers) and participated in the club’s MoM and F3F programs. The 2006 USA Viking Race Qualifier was the largest slope contest he has attended. Mehrdad took hiatus from 2008 to 2013, and is extremely grateful to be back slope racing in local circuits again. It was a true honor for him to learn from and fly with the talented group at the most recent Team Selects.
Last edited by David Olson; Dec 10, 2015 at 02:37 PM.
Nov 28, 2015, 04:19 AM
Thread OP

Team Pilot - 2nd Alternate - David Cortina:

Under construction....
Last edited by David Olson; Nov 28, 2015 at 05:07 AM.
Nov 28, 2015, 04:29 AM
Thread OP

Team Manager - David Olson:

David Olson first got exposed to RC when he was in Junior High School. The local hobby store owner near him in Minneapolis, MN took David to several local AMA RC Pattern Contests at the young age of 13. The first airplanes he flew were small rubber powered balsa airplanes like the Guillows Sky Streak and Jetfire Glider. His first powered control line airplane was a small Cox 049. He could not afford to fly anything larger until he was a little older and started building balsa with silkspan and dope covered control line airplanes. He then discovered girls, cars and gymnastics and so aviation got put on hold until well after college and the start of a career and business.

After moving to the Bay Area with Jean, his high school sweetheart and wife, both together now over 50 years. They went to the Reno Air Races in 1989 and a Sacramento based RC Pattern Club put on early morning demo flights. That reignited his passion in RC and so he joined the local Marin RC Club and started flying RC Pattern in 1989. This was his first time actually flying an RC airplane so he had to start with a trainer and worked up to flying pattern airplanes. Some of the pattern pilots were also sailplane pilots and took him out to the local Cheese Factory flying site and local slope sites. Over the following year David gradually lost interest in powered airplanes and became completely fascinated by sailplanes.

He made friends and flew with many very talented local sailplane pilots like Mark Allen, Ron Vann, Dave Castetter and Darrell Perkins in the 90’s. Another break occurred once David finally decided to get his full scale pilot’s license and purchased a Commander 114, then a Cessna Golden Eagle 421 Twin and a Lancair.

Then in 2010 David travelled to Cal Valley, CA to volunteer and actually observe his first F3B Contest. This reignited and turbocharged his passion once again in RC and after purchasing his first modern molded sailplane, a used Freestyler 3 from Mike Lachowski, who also shared his sailplane Tx. setup complete with flight modes, which rocked David’s world. He started using MKS Servos back then and has continued to fly Freestylers and MKS Servos to this day. Since then he has been very passionate and actively involved in the F3B and F3F communities.

It is not about winning for David but rather he really enjoys the people and camaraderie! The friends he makes are such great people. He enjoys learning and becoming a better pilot and he feels it is very important to give back to the community by volunteering.

David has volunteered to help out or be the Event Director for the following events: 2010 F3B Team Select, 2011 F3F Team Select, 2012 F3B Team Select, 2013 F3F Team Select, 2014 F3B Team Select, 2015 F3F Team Select, F3B Gator West. He most recently was asked to be a helper on the 2015 F3B Team and Head Fund Raiser, raising $40,000 for the Team. He also has been responsible for the last three F3F Team logo designs and for the current F3B Team logo. He also volunteered to produce the last three cycles of F3F Team Garments and the most current F3B Team garments. He also personally raised $2,000 in cash for the last F3F Team Fund.

David has produced over 340 videos on his YouTube Channel, all on F3X activities since 2010: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClZ...qybiHTrpp5MwIQ
He is very active with protecting our ability to fly RC in the US and very active on RCGroups.

He is honored to be the Team Manager and is looking forward to meeting new friends in Denmark and hopefully seeing some of the new friends he made in the Netherlands at the F3B World Championships.
Last edited by David Olson; Nov 28, 2015 at 08:53 AM.
Nov 28, 2015, 04:44 AM
Thread OP
If you have not seen this thread that was started over a year ago now.......it will be a good one to watch as we get closer..........

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2276283

Also the Team Select held at Wicked Sister in San Simeon California - results are here:
http://www.f3xvault.com/?action=even...w&event_id=593
Last edited by David Olson; Nov 28, 2015 at 04:54 AM.
Nov 28, 2015, 05:25 AM
Thread OP
Before anyone asks.....The Team has decided to forgo doing a raffle and selling Team garments for fund raising.

It is a Herculean effort for very little reward, to be very honest. All the vendors get hit on so much by everyone with their hand outstretched wanting something for nothing and I don't know how fair that is for us to be constantly asking for so much. Also all of the Team members are very busy with very limited spare time.

I hope no one is upset by us not producing any garments to purchase. Those of you past supporters have been very generous and very supportive. Thank you so much for your past support! I just think our spare time will be better spent flying and practicing more often......

I have found a corporate sponsor to pay for the garments for the Team members to wear to Denmark. This is what we really need to be focusing on, corporate sponsorships, it's just not very easy to find them however.
Last edited by David Olson; Nov 28, 2015 at 12:57 PM.
Nov 28, 2015, 11:02 AM
Thank you Dave Olson for all your hard work and professionalism! You do such a great job and are so committed! We are so lucky to have you in our community. :-)

I would add regarding fund raising. Everything Dave said above is very true...... And I wish we could take the same approach with F3B, F3J and F3K....... But we can't! The F3F Team has the lowest cost "by far" ...... Nothing compared to the F3B Team which cost close to 40k to get the entire team and equipment to the event. Because of this high cost it's imparative the F3B Team raise funds, or the team would not be able to go at all! Daves point is that the cost of the F3F Team are so low that the effort involved in all the facets of fund raising, (Aquiring sponsors, developing apparel, building a website, creating and running a raffle, selling and shipping apparel, ect, ect.) this is a daunting task!!!! And..... A drain on the community and with the low cost of the F team we figured we would pay our own way instead of doing it the traditional way.

The part that bothers me about our decision is the comaraderie that happens when a community is such a big part of getting a team to an event. When a person can contribute to something bigger than themselves! It kills me that we have taken that away because I know there are many of you that love being apart of that. We are sorry...... We hope you can understand the reason for this decision.

On a personal note; in the past, every time someone would contribute it would bring to my attention that "1 more person" believes in the us..... "each" member of the team. For me that was VERY motivating and humbling at the same time. I will miss that this cycle.

The other part that bothers me about our decision is that the sponsors "do" get big exposure when they are a part of a World Championship team. They are seen around the world with the team! An opportunity for them to grow their business. Our sponsors have been so good to the teams of the past and have been THE MOST INTEGRAL PART of helping these teams raise the funds needed to go. Again....... Thank you! I hope "our" not asking for these resources can afford our sponsors the opportunity in the future to support some of the teams in an even bigger way! And I hope everyone continues to support the sponsors of the past so that they can continue to grow as a healthy business supplying us, the pilots, with the quaintly epuipment we need to do participate in this awesome activity!

I have said it before and I will say it again........ Our US soaring community is the best in the world! The way everyone steps up to support the F3X teams is unlike ANY other community in the word! Again...... Thank you!

Your friend,

Kyle
Last edited by Kyle Paulson; Nov 29, 2015 at 01:15 AM.
Nov 29, 2015, 12:44 AM
Thread OP

MKS Servos USA is very supportive of the Team:

http://www.mksservosusa.com is very supportive of the Team.

Something happened I never thought would happen.....Thomas Cooke called me a couple months ago and asked if I would like to be a "Factory Sponsored Pilot" for MKS Servos USA, even before I was asked to be the Team Manager. Since I had been using MKS Servos for so long I didn't have to think about it and immediately said "yes, of course, I would be honored to". Thomas said not every factory sponsored pilot is a "results" pilot (certainly true in my case). He said he likes that I am so passionate about his product and that I use them because I want to and believe in them (very true in my case). I really like their precision and have recommended MKS Servos to many, many friends over the past 5 years.

So all the planes that the Team takes to Denmark will all have MKS Servos in them because everyone believes in them!

Thank you MKS Servos USA!
Last edited by David Olson; Nov 29, 2015 at 01:18 AM.
Dec 01, 2015, 02:04 PM
Way to go Dave! Happy for you.

You have put in the work for it, for sure.
Dec 01, 2015, 06:47 PM
Dave MKS could not have a better representative than you! I'm really happy for you! And........ for MKS!
Dec 02, 2015, 12:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by curdman
Way to go Dave! Happy for you.

You have put in the work for it, for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Paulson
Dave MKS could not have a better representative than you! I'm really happy for you! And........ for MKS!
Thank you guys.

Quick Reply