Dec 09, 2018, 02:31 AM
Robcrusoe, I think a removeable deck is a great idea !!! Makes alot of sense. Although I have neither a Emma or Irene, but dream of one day building them, I enjoy the ideas of the creativity and problem solving of the Great builders here on RCG !!! I would personally never glue the deck down. I would attach the deck with screws around the perimeter and then use a removable clear caulk, like DAP's Seal N' Peel or White Lightening Season Seal or Red Devil's Zipaway. It's all a very similar product, goes on clear,sticks well, and is removeable. I would love to hear how you made your deck removeable yet kept everything water tight !!! Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2018, 04:17 AM
Mad on modding
Part 2
Great to see vintageone replied, and that he is yet to get into a build. No better time to pick up tips and methods from others, no point reinventing the oar.
What he is asking about is pretty well what this second part was to include, so very timely.

Crossbones has been working along with me on his two boats and between us we think we have this thing nailed, err, screwed down.
As his rightly asserts, the deck is held down with small stainless-steel flat head screws into all of the timber blocks that support the deck. Since no glue is being used to make a permanent bond, these screws will do a good part of that function. I add two heavier screws into a bulkhead near each mast, to support the boat if lifted by the masts ( which we do down here).

Probably the most important thing to attempt is a very fine gap between deck edge and hull. When using glue this is not so critical as any gap filler will cover the odd excess easily. However, to effect a functional and yet easily removed seal, a 1mm gap is going to serve you well in the way you do this..

I wonít go into the gruesome details of my Emma ďAnnaĒ deck demolition other than to say, it didnít work!

The gap there was excessive in places, something a glue-down wouldnít have trouble coping with, but it allowed too much gap filler to get right in past the gap and even penetrated the deck-to-block area. Iíve since done a static bulkhead mitred joint test using gap filler and after two weeks the only way to separate the bulkhead from a piece of the same ply was by physically ripping the top ply away
The prognosis came up with this.

1: Keep the gap minimal. Bevel the edge of the deck so it fits the hull contour closely. Unless you can achieve a minimal gap, place some plastic draft exclusion strip, or soft balsa in between the blocks to prevent filler getting away. Make sure the upper surface of the blocks is flush with the underside of the deck, not critical but ideal. Clamp the deck down onto the blocks, making sure all are in line and in contact. Pre-mark the deck where the screws must go to get proper penetration of the blocks. Lay masking tape adjacent to the gap line on the deck and over the gap onto the hull.
It is important to realise that acrylic gap sealer will begin to skin in warm weather within a few minutes, sooner if it is a hot day. Once it skins it is hopeless to smooth off. So, you need to quickly but carefully work just enough sealer into the gap to form a skin, not thick vein of sealer. The screws will hold the deck in place, all the filler has to do is keep water out, and it only needs a millimeter to do that perfectly. Any more and itís an overkill and detrimental towards easy removal.

Using a soft rag, well wetted (itís acrylic, so water will clean it up) but not sopping, clear any excess surface sealer as soon as you can, level with the deck, best to do a section at a time. Expect to see the sealer shrink a little as it cures, so it will be fractionally below the deck line, not an issue. Any water in it will go away as the boat moves along, or as you beach it.

Because Annaís new deck has a thick paint finish (I picked up some tile paint dirt cheap) and I did keep the gap minimal (used some balsa strip to even out in a couple of places I let the oil based paint thicken up in a lid for a while then used that as a filler/sealer. When I painted the final deck coat it did a perfect job. Sheís been out in some lively conditions since and there was no water in the hull.

I do not know anything about those sealers mentioned in Vintageís post but the best idea is to make a test mockup with the same timber and experiment with it for a few days to see how it works out.

Whatever you do, avoid silicone gap sealers as silicone tends to get in the way of other surface preparations or treatments. as always if in doubt, test before you commit.

Donít be put off building one of these, lifeís too short to go without the experience.

So, should you consider a removable deck? Up to you!

See you are Legend man too, VO
Dec 09, 2018, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57
After some research, and plenty of head-scratching, I took the liberty of editing Gary's diagram to show different views of how this thing might (in theory) be rigged to work...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xF8spVRczs
Check this out! I finally found some images showing how it's done for real. The topsails do have to be passed across over the top of the gaff halyards and over the cross-stays between the masts!

See screengrabs below from these two videos:
Dec 13, 2018, 12:06 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Yet another "Irene"

Hi Gang, Just got a look at a swell video of another build with Bear on board!
Cheers, Gary
RC Schooner Irein (4 min 18 sec)
Dec 13, 2018, 12:19 AM
sailtails - YouTube

And a brief interview with the Captain

Thanks go to youtube's "Foster Wayne" for posting these. Looks like really nice work, we'll look forward to seeing Bear underway in the coming spring !
Schooner Captain (0 min 17 sec)
Dec 13, 2018, 09:17 AM
Wow! She's a beauty.

Those bears do seem to get around.
Dec 16, 2018, 01:20 AM

Skye

Well after nearly a year, I can now say my Irene Schooner is now complete and will be launched at our club Xmas breakup on Wednesday. RobCrusoe and myself will sail our latest projects at our local lake. Must admit it has been quite a journey, being quite a bit more complex than my original build THE EMMA. I can now say been there and have done both designs and hopefully will spend a lot of time sailing both models.
I have a attached a couple of final photos and hopefully RobCrusoe will be producing a video which no doubt will posted once we have had our launch on Wednesday.
Dec 16, 2018, 02:55 AM
Mad on modding
Looking just great CB. Having only seen bits of her as the ply initially went through the bandsaw, it was really worth all YOUR work!

Looking forward to the sailing groups Xmas sail day on Wednesday. Bound it get some interesting video of the 2 new boats.
A warm day (32C, sunny) but only light winds. I guess we can handle that for starters.

Seems unnatural to be finishing a boat with nothing in sight to get on with next year. Would a 2metre Irene be a reckless fancy only ?
Dec 16, 2018, 03:51 AM
Looks great. Envious of your great weather. Rain and gales here. Even freezing rain!
The finish is impressive! Did you carve the skipper yourself? Looks neat. Work on the sails and the waterline!
Last edited by ourbluehorizon; Dec 16, 2018 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Adding text
Dec 16, 2018, 08:06 PM
Thread OP

Make mine a Schooner, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbones06589
Well after nearly a year, I can now say my Irene Schooner is now complete and will be launched at our club Xmas breakup on Wednesday.
People are walking on our pond and drilling the ice to fish!

Skye is beautiful, CB 😁 I'm sure she will do well!
Paul
Dec 16, 2018, 08:38 PM

Skye

Hi OBH, no didnít carve my little skipper myself, stumbled across him in an OP shop down in Hobart, Tasmania. Just goes to prove one mans trash is another mans treasure. Paid 50 cents for the little man.
Perfect for the job.

Thanks for all the positive comments, as robcrusoe mentioned, canít wait to put her in the water on Wednesday.

Regards Crossbones.
Dec 17, 2018, 07:12 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Schooners Sailing Soon

Hi Crossbones ! Your "Skye" looks great, I'll be eager for a report of her upcoming Launch, and hope for another exciting Video from Robcrusoe.
Cheers, Gary
Dec 19, 2018, 04:04 AM
Mad on modding

The schooners debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Webb
I'll be eager for a report of her upcoming Launch, and hope for another exciting Video from Robcrusoe.
Cheers, Gary

Well Gary, hardly exciting thanks to a less than desirable weather condition, but not too bad, I guess.

You are familiar with CB's Skye, which was always going to sit so well on the water, but my own version is typically "different", and in more than one aspect, yet clearly complimentary.
My dear wife has a way of concisely summing up things. She remarked, on seeing the photos and video footage.
"Skye looks like a real summer cruiser, the sort of boat you'd hire for big bucks. Yours is, well, clearly a working boat, the sort you would go adventuring on."

I'm happy with that

Those having a keen and knowing eye will easily spot some differences, but how many?

Two schooners (2 min 43 sec)
Dec 19, 2018, 09:12 AM
Flying Models Plans
Well doesn't that look like just a grand day out? Congratulations men, well done. Lovely to see the builder's individualities coming forth. So much nicer than open the box and sail.

I do have to wonder though, how does Skye's captain navigate the waters? I see no wheel or tiller for him at the helm, nor a binnacle to guide him.
Dec 19, 2018, 10:35 PM
Thread OP

A shared voyage

Congratulations and Thanks, robcrusoe and Crossbones!😁
Two Schooners make such a nice appearance and these seem the first pair since Gary's fleet set sail. Huzzah!😁

Quick Reply