Sep 26, 2018, 04:57 AM
Thank you Ourbluehorizon!!! Finally, the hot summer weather does not make it difficult to build a boat :P
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2018, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurat
Hello my name is Teemu, I live in the Finland, Helsinki. Here is few pictures of my Irene.
Hi Teemu. Your boat is already very beautiful!

I see you are at the point where your gunwale railings are attached along the sides, but have you decided what to do with them at the stern transom?

I wanted to continue the railing over the top of the curved transom, but was having a heck of time trying to bend the wood to match that curve without cracking it. What I ended up doing was sawing a series of "kerfing" cuts about 3/4 of the way through the bottom edges of the rails. This allowed the bottom edge to compress to fit the desired curve.

Once sanded smooth and painted, you can't see any of those little cuts anymore.
Sep 26, 2018, 03:54 PM
Mad on modding
Very nice Teemu. That open cabin poses some questions ( I love the overall style, quite different from the norm).
Moving the cabin back and leaving it open at the rear is a neat variation. how does the deck hatch aft of it work and still keep water out.?

It will be even more impressive when you fit the masts and sails
Last edited by robcrusoe; Sep 26, 2018 at 03:59 PM.
Sep 27, 2018, 01:40 AM

Crossbones Irene SKYE

Hi guys,
Have been working away in the background creating spas, paintwork etc. So thought I should probably post a couple more photos of progress to date. I have all the electrics in and working a treat. Today I have been out and purchased sail cloth, so this will be the next project. Great to see all of the newcomers and their variations on the same theme. Will probably leave any other photos until I get closer to the launch.
Cheers CB.
Sep 27, 2018, 10:35 PM
Here is a short video from Day-2 of sailing on Lake Ontario.

Even though the waves were rough that day, splashing water high enough to get even the sails wet, not one drop found its way below deck.

Sailing Kamanik on Lake Ontario, Day-2 (1 min 45 sec)

I did have a little mishap when landing though. After 25 minutes of sailing, the waves were getting higher and even though I got my shorts wet wading out to retrieve the boat, the keel still grounded out in a trough between waves. Worried it might capsize, I made a grab for the boat and inadvertently snagged the bobstay which popped one of the wooden blocks holding down the bowsprit. That's easily fixed, but it put an end to sailing that day. I'll post more video of that incident later...
Sep 28, 2018, 03:25 AM
Thanks you kind words!!

Zbip57: Im thinking use soaked 2x2m pine sticks and laminate curved gunwale of them. But I might also test you way to do gunwale.

Robcrusoe: I was lazy and left cabin back laying over cargo cabin when I take pictures of Irene

Yesterday evening I sanded mahogany deck so today I can lay second layer of clear.
My working place is in block of flats basement and its very small and with minimal air changing so I use solvent free clear https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/gb...243900746.html but for last layers I go my friend car painting booth and use 2k car lacquer.
Sep 28, 2018, 08:10 AM
Quote:
I'm thinking use soaked 2x2m pine sticks and laminate curved gunwale of them. But I might also test your way to do gunwale.
The kerfing cuts worked well in my case because the gunwales were painted black, which effectively covers and hides the many little cuts. If you are using a clear finish then the cuts will likely show through, in which case your plan of soaked and laminated is a better idea and a much more elegant solution.

Quote:
My working place is in block of flats basement and its very small and with minimal air changing so I use solvent free clear https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/gb...243900746.html but for last layers I go my friend car painting booth and use 2k car lacquer.
I know exactly what you mean.

We just moved into a new house a year ago, which has no ideal room to use as a workshop. I spent all winter building my boat on what used to be the kitchen table in a room that doesn't even have a door to close it off from the rest of the house. The entire house was full of sawdust and smelled of penetrating epoxy and paint fumes. My wife wasn't too happy about that.
Sep 28, 2018, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57
The kerfing cuts worked well in my case because the gunwales were painted black, which effectively covers and hides the many little cuts. If you are using a clear finish then the cuts will likely show through, in which case your plan of soaked and laminated is a better idea and a much more elegant solution.

I know exactly what you mean.

We just moved into a new house a year ago, which has no ideal room to use as a workshop. I spent all winter building my boat on what used to be the kitchen table in a room that doesn't even have a door to close it off from the rest of the house. The entire house was full of sawdust and smelled of penetrating epoxy and paint fumes. My wife wasn't too happy about that.
I was planning to use stain in gunwales so I was thinking soaked pine wold be nice.

Uh epoxy is evil it dont smell much but fumes of it is not so good thing to breath in. And nowadays all paint fumes are sooo bad to me. As younger I paint many real cars with 2k leaded paints, lead give soooo smooth an shine result :P to paint job. Also lacquer thinners make me nowadays really easy sick. I must use pressurized gas mask when I paint with spray gun.

And I didnt managet make multi-quete to this reply
Oct 06, 2018, 10:19 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Mapping Irene (and Emma)

Hi Gang,
If you've wondered where the boats might be, new video is meant to honor Scratch Builders, and shows where the boat plans have gone.
You can have a good look at the map near the end of the video.
My Hat's Off to anyone building anything!
Cheers, Gary
“Salute to Scratch Builders” (11 min 42 sec)
Oct 06, 2018, 11:18 AM
Thread OP

Hats off to Gary! Hoorah! Hooray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Webb
Hi Gang,
If you've wondered where the boats might be, new video is meant to honor Scratch Builders, and shows where the boat plans have gone.
You can have a good look at the map near the end of the video.
My Hat's Off to anyone building anything!
Cheers, Gary
Very nice!! I'm so excited to see how Gary's willingness to share his expertise has enabled so many of us to build and sail these delightful models!
I'm delighted that this thread and the Emma thread are helping us all to share our experiences!
Once again, to anybody wondering, You Can Build This Boat!
Thanks, Gary, thanks Spike!
Very gratefully,
Paul
Last edited by Paul~; Oct 06, 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Oct 06, 2018, 11:39 AM
Hey Gary & Spike

As always ... GREAT VIDEO ... !!

What an amazingly simple design that LOOKS AWESOME ... yet simple construction materials and tools ... to allow wide range of building experience the enjoyment of scratch building a sailboat.

Amazing how widely your design has spread to the far reaches of the world is testament of the versatility of the design ... as well as ... the many variations how some builders made their own details to customize the look.

Please keep posting updates Gary & Spike - especially videos ... and ... those builders from around the world - love seeing your builds and unique ways to make continued modifications and suggestions.

These forum posts are helpful to all watching and considering their own build - especially forum postings from first time builders which gives confidence to others to take the plunge too
Oct 06, 2018, 04:25 PM
Mad on modding
As usual, another terrific SailTails production.

What a great promo for the boats, and tribute to the Bear boys.

And not least, to all those who saw the shared vision and so have put another pin or two on the map.

Well done guys! and thanks to Paul for kickstarting this topic on RCG.
Oct 07, 2018, 07:17 AM
Gary & Spike, you guys have come a long way with these models and they all look stunning .

I'll finish mine as soon as i get the honey do"s done

Thanks for your boats.

Bill
Oct 07, 2018, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Webb
If you've wondered where the boats might be, new video is meant to honor Scratch Builders, and shows where the boat plans have gone
That is a wonderful video, in every sense of the word.

It must be immensely gratifying for you to see how far and wide your offspring have spread around the world.

Thanks for sharing!
Oct 08, 2018, 01:40 AM
Recent Convert
Fantastic Video Gary and Spike.

amazing to see how many Plans are out there . Happy to see so many in NZ!

Thanks for the inspiration to hurry up and finish my Build, Its coming along nicely but Ive been a Bit Lax about posting progress Pics

Thanks again for the Video

Quick Reply