Sep 16, 2018, 05:02 PM
Gotcha! ;^)
Look at the gooseneck hardware, the pelican hooks, and the deck grain, that Kamanik is a really beautiful model!

Gotcha back! ;^)
The deck is made from a single plank from a really, really, REALLY big tree.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2018, 06:27 PM
Went out again today. Got some splashing over the deck.
Sep 16, 2018, 07:19 PM
Plenty of water splashed across the deck, and even up into the sails. But not one drop got inside the hull. Totally dry below decks.

The scuppers work well to drain any standing water off the deck. However the skiff turned into a little bathtub. I might have to figure a way to lash it in place upside down in heavy weather sailing.
Sep 16, 2018, 10:31 PM
Flying Models Plans
Or just put a hole in the transom. A lot of small boats have drain plugs.

And I agree with the others, your vessel looks grand. Very nice attention to detail.
Sep 17, 2018, 11:05 AM
Thread OP
Zbip, I'd like to know how you're fastening and/or sealing your hatches. Mine are only stuck on with magnets and I fear sinking the lovely Deborah.
Sep 17, 2018, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g'n's
Zbip, I'd like to know how you're fastening and/or sealing your hatches.
I'm using Gary's method of securing the hatch covers with U-shaped pins as shown in these photos...

Photo 1 shows the under side of the rear hatch. The rim with the two side tabs fits snug around the outside of the hatch coaming glued to the deck.
Also, in the bottom right of the first photo, the red arrow points to the copper pipe through which the sheets run through the deck. Rather than have those exit flush with the deck, I extended them a bit higher to minimise the chance of water running down through them. I also put a similar block of wood raising the opening for the masts so as to reduce the chance of water coming through the deck that way.

Photo 2 shows the height of the white hatch coaming. The plans call for 1/8"x1/4" coamings glued on top of the deck. Just to be safe, I chose to double that height to 1/2".

Photo 3 shows a small block glued inside the hatch coamings to reinforce the area where the U-pins pass through. I fitted the hatch cover in place and drilled the two holes straight through everything to ensure they would all line up square. All of the hatches are secured in this manner.

Photo 4 shows the U-pin being inserted. Having one leg of the U longer than the other makes it much easier to fiddle those things into place. It's awkward otherwise trying to get both sides lined up at the same time.

Photo 5 has the U-pin seated in place. The paint and varnish is sticky. There's no chance of the pins ever slipping out by themselves. I carry a set of needle-nose pliers with me because, if I press the pins in too far, sometimes I need the pliers to pull the pins out again.

p.s. I found very useful the photos you (g'n's) posted much earlier in this thread on how to mount the servo inside the wheel housing. In my first photo below you can see I did it the same way as you, with a couple of hinged beams supporting the servo so it can easily be slid out if ever needed.
Sep 17, 2018, 09:51 PM
A short preview...

Sailing on Lake Ontario (1 min 1 sec)
Sep 19, 2018, 09:38 AM
Thread OP

Thanks, Gary Webb!

Every time I take "Deborah" out she opens conversations. The sharing is so fun.
Last time a mother with her three 2nd and 3rd grade daughters stopped their bikes to look at her.
They’re from a port town in Maine! The mother told me how “tasteful” Deborah appears and how she loves the color of her hull.
When somebody so well informed compliments her I’m just so delighted!
Deborah was already on the bike trailer, dismasted and ready to ride home, but the girls got a good look and imagined the life aboard, trading along the coast.
I was able to tell them how to see the video on YouTube so hopefully they can see her in action.
I’m not accustomed to having something to share this way and feel more like a citizen of this town or something rather than just another guy going about his business.
See what you’ve started? <grin>
Paul
Sep 19, 2018, 10:16 PM

Launching sailboat in shallow water

Does anyone have a good technique for launching and retrieving the sailboat in shallow water where a pier or boat isn't available ? Would like to do this without wadding into cold water or ponds with possible snakes or gators in them (not good)!!!! Has anyone designed a dolly or floating device that would work?
Sep 21, 2018, 12:11 AM
Mad on modding
Nice sailing video on the Lake, Zip.. I envy you the clarity of the water. Being inland, and relying on runoff, our lake goes from sort of "milky" through to opaque.
We have our original venue, which is very clear (previously our city water supply) but the bottom weed is so prevalent that we only have a clear window for sailing during spring, which is now.
Sorry stephen, we have shallow during winter and the only option is gumboots and a good sense of balance. And an Irene is not your usual rc sailboat weight.

Paul, in my 10 years (next month) sailing rc saliboats around here, the frequency of passerbys wanting to chat about them is a strong as ever.

Maybe we can start a list of the most common query

#1 Does it have a propeller somewhere? Answer: No, never.
#2 What happens if it tips upside down? A: We go looking for the bulb
#3 How much does it cost ? A: [depends on boat in question]
#4 What happens if it runs into another boat? A: Keep watching
#5 Is it hard to learn to do? A: Not at all, have a try..
#6 Are you a club? A: No, just retirees that have found something to do for the rest of their life.
#7 Is it only for men? A: No, but mostly by far
#8 Where can I get one like yours? A: Here's Gary's website address.
#9 Do your wives like you doing it so often? A: They love it, keeps you off the couch and with others
Sep 21, 2018, 01:45 AM
Mad on modding

Geolocation of groups sailing locations is up

That is, I think it is.

Try this link

Global Map

You may need to click on "See in google Maps" to see the actual map features.

If it works you should see about 10 entries.

Now, I may have missed some, so bear (no pun intended) with me until I get proficient at it.

I'm sure this will be popular if we just keep adding to it.

If you are unsure how to get on it just PM me and I'll get you on real quick. Other wise ask Gary to give me the necessary basic info. Only web names or first names will be used. Basically the location of where you sail.. venue name/ suburb, town/city/State/country will work Ok.

I'm sure I'll find, or be advised, if I can get more into it.

If I stuff up your entry, please PM me and I'll fix it.
Last edited by robcrusoe; Sep 21, 2018 at 02:02 AM.
Sep 21, 2018, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe
Nice sailing video on the Lake, Zip.. I envy you the clarity of the water.
Here's the first of two videos sailing on Lake Ontario.

When I checked out the beach a couple of days beforehand, there was a good wind blowing but there were actual white-cap waves out on the lake. I was fairly confident the boat could handle that stuff, and it would have made for some interesting video! But I would have gotten wet up to the armpits trying to wade out far enough to launch the boat through the breaking surf. What would I do with the transmitter while out that deep in the water? I decided not to risk it and chose instead to wait for safer conditions.

This day the lake was quite calm, with crystal clear water and a gentle breeze blowing. The only appreciable waves were the occasional wakes from passing motor boats.

So let's give 'er a try. What's the worst could that happen? Well, other than the chance of it sinking in deep water or sailing away over the horizon...

Sailing Kamanik on Lake Ontario, Day-1 (5 min 1 sec)
Sep 21, 2018, 05:11 PM
Mad on modding

Further to the Geolocation project

Maybe a screen shot will be more of an inducement to get yourself on it

Here's the link to the map itself. note that you will get more detail, and actually show the others that may be in your area. GLOBAL

Clicking on a pointer will display any photos/videos that are included. Let me know if you want anything specific in yours.

My direct email is [email protected] ................. Help populate this thing, please!
Sep 24, 2018, 03:52 PM
Hello my name is Teemu, I live in the Finland, Helsinki. Here is few pictures of my Irene. Summer is almost over, so there will be lot of time to finally finish Irene Irene is my first sailboat build.
Sep 24, 2018, 04:27 PM
Hi Teemu,
Looking good . No rush then and lots of time to get it right. Keep posting. looking forward to finished model
regards
Bob

Quick Reply