Aug 16, 2018, 05:51 PM
Hey Stephen, thanks for the enquiry, I have included a couple of photos of the products I used for the internal fillets and the epoxy sealer. Not sure they would be available in the US. I can thank Robcrusoe for sourcing this stuff as we were unable to obtain the products Gary recommends in his initial Irene build video.
Last edited by Crossbones06589; Aug 17, 2018 at 01:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2018, 05:57 PM
Hey g’n’s,
not sure if maybe you were getting confused with the Emma, but Gary’s plans for the Irene definite call for the rudder post to be 1/2” forward of bulkhead number 5. Therefore I have positioned the servo back from that.
Aug 16, 2018, 09:59 PM
Thread OP

Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbones06589
Hey g’n’s,
not sure if maybe you were getting confused with the Emma, but Gary’s plans for the Irene definite call for the rudder post to be 1/2” forward of bulkhead number 5. Therefore I have positioned the servo back from that.
Ummm....yes, there it is right in my own video, rudder located according to the plans.
Now when I have these "senior moments", memory loss, confusion, etc., at least I'm old enough!

Whatever, sorry to mess the thread.

Deborah sailed again yesterday as nicely as ever!
While others blast around with intentionally noisy, roaring vehicles it gives me great pleasure to provide the quiet, graceful sight of Deborah gliding across the pond.
Paul Brabenec
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Last edited by Paul~; Aug 17, 2018 at 12:03 AM.
Aug 18, 2018, 05:18 PM
Hey Paul, wouldn’t mind seeing a photo of Deborah on the water if you happen to have one.
Aug 19, 2018, 09:24 PM
Well time to tackle the external finish, have decided on a black antifoul look to the bottom of the hull, a gloss marine varnish to the rest of the hull and cabin / hatch covers with a gloss white deck. Hoping that combination will give the look I am after. So at this point I have given the entire external hull and deck 2 coats of epoxy sealer. The bottom of the hull has now had 2 coats of grey undercoat ready for the gloss black marine paint. The deck has 2 coats of white undercoat ready for the gloss white paint. Note I have also done a temporary install of the bow sprit just to check the fit.
Aug 20, 2018, 01:29 AM
Mad on modding
Looking really nifty CB.. well done..
Aug 22, 2018, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbones06589
Well time to tackle the external finish...
That's a very nice smooth finish.
Aug 22, 2018, 08:28 AM
We got in some close sailing on the weekend, taking turns with the Monsoon and Schooner Kamanik.

Watching the video later, I discovered a stowaway on the schooner.

Monsoon, Schooner Kamanik, and a Stowaway. (5 min 43 sec)
Aug 22, 2018, 05:43 PM
Fantastic job on the Kamanik build, can only hope mine looks half as good. Love the stowaway, pretty ballsy.
Currently working on all of the spas for my Irene project.
Aug 22, 2018, 06:25 PM
Thread OP

Very Nice, Zbip!

Thanks for sharing the video! Very clear views! Kamanik came out looking so good!

Note to anybody wanting to build an Irene Schooner, you can build this boat!
She's designed for success without endless, tedious tinkering.
Aug 24, 2018, 11:00 AM

Mobius mount

Inspired by the videos I bought a waterproof case for my mobius. How to mount? I have a very strong neodym magnet which will lift an ammo case full of batteries. So I made a mount with magnet under deck and steel plate on deck with a short length of aluminium angle.
I'd seen a post with a clamp on gunnwall and spotted the crocodile clip hiding in the hut. I think the croc clip will be more moveable. Still to try it on water as weather here very stormy.
Aug 24, 2018, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbluehorizon
I'd seen a post with a clamp on gunnwall...
That's mine.
See this post: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1125

The beauty of the little wooden clamp is that it won't damage the gunwale rail. I'd be worried that your alligator clip will chew up the rail.

The bolt screws through the clamp into any standard camera mount fitting and, when tightened snugly, there's no way for the clamp to slip off from the rail. I use an assortment of GoPro mount extensions allowing the camera to be aimed in any direction.

Like everything else, the inspiration for the wooden clamp came directly from Gary's brilliant designs.
See at 26:08 in his video:
UNIQUE FPV MODEL SAILBOAT-SCHOONER IRENE REVIEW-SOMETHING DIFFERENT! (28 min 40 sec)
Aug 24, 2018, 12:37 PM

camera mount

Sorry i should have given you credit. I take your point abot damage. I had thought of some material to safeguard the wood. The croc clip will however be moved more easily. Thanks for your help.
Aug 24, 2018, 12:44 PM

Schooner Lorraine on river Erne Fermanagh Ireland

Schooner Lorraine on River Erne (2 min 5 sec)

Was able to nip down to the jetty at any time to sail the boat. Could even have sat in the comfort of the cottage with the TX !
Aug 29, 2018, 11:01 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways

More Irene everyone,?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57
Look at how nicely she moves! Those sails are excellent too. Love the colour coordinated yellow reinforcement patches.
Well done!
This will be covered in the vid,!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe
As Zip says..sweet..
Do one a bit closer so we can see it in more detail under way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmstro
Sorry, but need to see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA
How's this,??...
Sailing Schooner Irene (10 min 34 sec)
Despite my couple of goofs it is as close as we could get w/o me falling in,!! (water level was down a good bit) It's HOT n Icky here and it was a lite wind day 3-5 mph today. Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Last edited by haxawsnavy; Aug 29, 2018 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added wind speed condition.

Quick Reply