Jul 22, 2018, 05:08 PM
Mad on modding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57
I'd be worried about jibing in such strong winds if the sheets are left fully slack, as that puts a huge shock load into those delicate wooden blocks when the sails suddenly swing over from one side to the other. To minimize that danger, although we haven't had any good strong winds yet, I've been pulling the sheets in all the way tight even when jibing, then let them out again as the booms swing across.

I think the trick, regardless which way the boat is pointing relative to the wind, is to let the sheets out just to the point where the sails start fluttering, then bring them back in tighter until the sails fill properly. Pulling the sheets in any tighter than that just ends up being counter-productive.

I have to agree with your first statement, those deck mounted blocks do take the greatest resistance and on my Molly G they both failed eventually. I've wondered why and just assumed it was the location, and you have hit the nail on the head. However, because the sheet hardly moves at all the block, since the distance between cleat and block remains the same, under tension, I replaced mine with a simple screw eye. Not kosher from an aesthetic point of view, but definitely functional.Wouldn't be too hard to design and make a heavier block for that job.

It will be interesting to see how you cope with extreme maneuvering. I haven't had much windy opportunity to do much of it, but hope to as the springtime approaches. When Crossbones has his Irene finished we will be able to compare such things, as we do with the Emmas.

And your final remarks are spot on, it is how I sail all of my boats, plastic or wooden. The addition of a masthead pennant will often give the attentive skipper a moments warning before the flutter shows up. There is no doubt that keeping way on, any way, is desirable for faster pickup.

Telltales sewn onto the main sails will give valuable sail performance visuals but with these sails, cotton ones anyway, the fill and wrinkle free appearances is enough..

While your mount for the camera is far more robust (and drier) than my mobius rigs, I would suggest a safety tether, just in case. As can be seen in my fleet action videos, close shaves are always on the cards as the best clips are often the real close up and personal, and being "clipped" by another boat could be an expensive regret. I just use threaded rod into a blind nut set into the deck. Again, not decorative, but definitely functional.

I'm looking forward to your action, windy, movies. It took my a good while to realise that anything longer than 2 minutes shows that very few viewers watch it to the end. YouTube analytics is where to check this out. For me I go for variable short clips and brief fade ins. Backgound music is nice, but YouTube will note any copyright infringements (or so it seems) but to what end I don't know. Mine are all sourced from Creative Commons. you don't necessarily need strong conditions for an interesting video, just compose the final movie in brief but interesting closeups with unusual angles (even very short launch and retrieval clips). For me, watching the movie and feeling almost onboard is a nice feeling. But you'll figure all this out anyway.

Just my 2 frames worth, as usual.!
Last edited by robcrusoe; Jul 22, 2018 at 05:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2018, 03:59 PM

Emma Sails

I'm almost finished building my Emma and will be setting up the sail boom travel. In general, do you want the jib sail to extend some what less than the mainsail ? I vaguely remember reading that somewhere.
Jul 23, 2018, 04:14 PM
Mad on modding
You'll have a nautical ball!

The jib boom needs to be further out than the main so it creates a slot between the two. The exact difference is not critical if you point the jib end towards the shrouds and the main towards the edge of the transom/stern. It's then a matter of setting it by small increments to suit your boat.

How to know when it's right? On a day with steady breeze (doesn't have to be a lot of force) sail it close enough that you can determine when it is moving the faster. Once you get it right it should remain set that way. Gary should be able to give more specific Emma settings.
Jul 24, 2018, 05:15 PM

Emma sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe
You'll have a nautical ball!

The jib boom needs to be further out than the main so it creates a slot between the two. The exact difference is not critical if you point the jib end towards the shrouds and the main towards the edge of the transom/stern. It's then a matter of setting it by small increments to suit your boat.

How to know when it's right? On a day with steady breeze (doesn't have to be a lot of force) sail it close enough that you can determine when it is moving the faster. Once you get it right it should remain set that way. Gary should be able to give more specific Emma settings.
Thanks, sounds like I had it backward. The jib goes farther out than the mainsail boom.
Jul 25, 2018, 09:21 PM
Here's another video for y'all.

I almost got snookered on the launch. I was a little too slow grabbing the transmitter and then almost ran out of room. The wind suddenly shifted just as the boat got into the current from the waterfall, and I didn't have enough headway on to tack. Luckily I just managed to get it turned around and jibed before hitting the rocks on the opposite shore. Phew.

I had the GoPro mounted this time hanging off the side, and managed to dunk it under a few times. The boat hardly noticed the extra drag. Next I might try mounting it completely underwater.

Schooner Kamanik (6 min 30 sec)
Jul 29, 2018, 03:27 AM
Recent Convert
Wow ZBip your boat looks fantastic!

In the meantime I have Been Pottering along On My build, Planked the deck in teak Veneer which took a while,Used tar paper between to simulate caulking . Then Built the cargo hatch and cabin and Planked them ,PLaning on Painting the walls white and the cabin and hatch tops Cream, Or planking them too, but that may be a bit too much timber
I mocked up a foredeck Hatch to cover the Headsail winch drum but I don't know if ill keep it or go for a more squared off Style.
as I was Writing this I thought of an alternative option of relocating the winch below deck and using some of the Copper tubing for the Boom sheets(as I had to buy in a minimum 1 meter length I have quite a Bit left over ) which will mean I can lower the Foredeck Hatch to the original Spec. I'll see if that works, Stand by for updates.

The keener eyed of you will notice i have Framed the Bulkheads rather than cut them out of solid ply. I chose to do this as I am making "Irene" ( still thinking of her name) to 3/4 Plan scale but the Mechanicals are still the same size so this gave me a bit more leeway in placing the internals.

Anyhow, enough waffle .enjoy the photos
Jul 29, 2018, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy_From_NZ
Planked the deck in teak Veneer which took a while,Used tar paper between to simulate caulking . Then Built the cargo hatch and cabin and Planked them
Sweet! That'll be gorgeous when finished.

I made another video, this time including an underwater view.

It rained like crazy for several days. Check how much the flow has increased over the waterfall compared to the previous two videos. I tried, but the strong current coming over the falls made it too challenging to land at my preferred side of the dock. The other side is less convenient as the rock slopes gradually, meaning I have to step out into the water to keep the keel from grounding against the rock. I almost fell in off the slippery rock.

The water on this side of the dock is quite shallow, with a couple of big rocks hiding just below the surface. Too bad the water is less clear due to the increased current stirring stuff off the bottom. I should have done this video last week.

Schooner Kamanik - different view (4 min 49 sec)
Jul 31, 2018, 01:01 PM

Schooner "IRENE" maiden voyage.

OPPS see my next post for link.
Last edited by HowBau; Jul 31, 2018 at 02:49 PM.
Jul 31, 2018, 01:38 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
YouTube says it is unavailable (I'm in the USA)
Jul 31, 2018, 02:47 PM
Try dropping the URL into your address bar on your browser or just try this link.
IMG 2966 (3 min 32 sec)
Jul 31, 2018, 03:00 PM
Look at how nicely she moves! Those sails are excellent too. Love the colour coordinated yellow reinforcement patches.

Well done!
Jul 31, 2018, 04:38 PM
Mad on modding
As Zip says..sweet..

Do one a bit closer so we can see it in more detail under way.

I had a few probs viewing t he video until I went to YouTube..

But here's a link that works fine down here, anyway.

If you click on the (white on black ) IMG 2966 (at 10 o'clock) it will take you to YouTube and give you more options

IMG 2966 (3 min 32 sec)
Last edited by robcrusoe; Jul 31, 2018 at 04:44 PM.
Aug 01, 2018, 10:48 AM
Thomas Armstrong
Sorry, but need to see this:
Vertical Video Syndrome - A PSA (2 min 59 sec)
Aug 01, 2018, 04:06 PM
Mad on modding
Fair enough, I guess.
I only use landscape orientation myself, but anything to do with these boats is welcome. But I'm happy with more of any orientation videos than the few we get, so long as they feature any Bear boats.

Like to know what others may think on the subject.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Last edited by robcrusoe; Aug 01, 2018 at 04:12 PM.
Aug 01, 2018, 06:33 PM
Loved LAUGHING at that video (VVS-Vertical Video Syndrome) ...

Any video of these RC sailboats are great to see (using whatever format)
Last edited by slo.ca6; Aug 01, 2018 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply