Jun 03, 2018, 08:14 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
Looking fine Zbip, after seeing all those lines it needs I think I'll change my tune on building one for myself,!! Don't think I could handle that much tedious detail but it IS "shorely" nice to view,!!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2018, 03:35 AM
Mad on modding

Gluing in the bulkheads, a simple solution.

I'v e kept up with everything posted here and in the Emma thread on this subject, seeking as you may be, the best solution.

It really comes down to not just how neat it looks when completed but really what is it up against to begin with?

Gary's design is, bottom line, VERY durable and extremely robust.

Until you build one, transport it here and there often, store it way then get it out again, maybe derigging it and setting up again, is when you'll appreciate just how tough these craft really are.

And then you might ponder on what forces these boats have to contend with, and how hard on them is any kind of sailing you might use it for.

Gary will know all the physics in the design, I certainly don't, but to my mind when your boat is complete it is NEVER going to start coming to bits unless you made a total poor job on the cutting out and general assembly of the hull sections.

And when the deck goes on nobody but you, possibly, will see how perfect your glue lines are, certainly the boat wont sail any better of worse because of it.

So just get an adhesive that will hold two pieces of plywood, like an inverted "T", let your chosen glue and finish sit for a fortnight (even sooner will surprise you) and then try tearing it apart. It is what I have done with various adhesives and except for the very poorest, every section took far more power to destroy than a bulkhead will ever be submitted to.

So, after going on about all that, what am I using on my fourth boat (second schooner). ?

A $4 cartridge of Sikaflex Instant Nails (might be labeled differently in your region, but it is very common in building trades these day.

I lay masking tape along both sides where the bead will lay, and just use a conventional cartridge gun to carefully apply it. Practice on some scrap for awhile, this stuff is cheap and there is lots of it. After removing th etape a day later (might need a blade to keep the outer edge neat and in line). Whether of not you use a smoothing stick is up to you, but you need to do it almost straight away as this stuff "skins" quickly and if you leave it too long, it wont be very pleasing even though it will more than do the job..

But, all just my 2 cents worth on the topic.
Jun 04, 2018, 08:18 AM
Thread OP

Cheaper would be better

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe View Post
So, after going on about all that, what am I using on my fourth boat (second schooner). ?

A $4 cartridge of Sikaflex Instant Nails (might be labeled differently in your region, but it is very common in building trades these days.
Sounds great, Rob! This PC-7 is a bit pricey. It does, though, make a good exterior surface where exposed. Does the Sikaflex do that also?
Jun 04, 2018, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haxawsnavy View Post
Looking fine Zbip, after seeing all those lines it needs I think I'll change my tune on building one for myself,!! Don't think I could handle that much tedious detail
The level of detail is entirely up to you. There are many ways the design can be simplified.

It doesn't actually need all those lines. The masts are totally strong enough that they would easily stand on their own with no shrouds attached whatsoever, and the bowsprit could just be glued in place.

A large part of the attraction though, for me, is all the many lines involved. All the working lines were left long enough that the sails can be raised and lowered. And rather than permanently wiring each wooden rigging block in place, I decided to tie each one making it easier if ever needed to replace them. After the hull and cabins are completed, that's really still only just half of the boat done. It's the masts and all the rigging that really bring the boat to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxawsnavy View Post
but it IS "shorely" nice to view,!!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
My wife just paid me the ultimate compliment. She goes away on business trips a week at a time, and always leaves me long lists of tasks to do in her absence. Then upon return she expresses disappointment in that so few of the tasks were completed because I'm obsessed with constantly tinkering on this damn boat project.

But this time when she came home and saw the boat for the first time with masts and rigging she was impressed and suggested that, when not actually out sailing, the boat should be displayed on the mantel over our fireplace (not in the fire). She has never allowed me to put any of my motorsport trophies on the mantel. It's pretty huge for her now to suggest, unprompted, that the schooner should be honoured with that coveted display location.
Jun 04, 2018, 01:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57 View Post
My wife just paid me the ultimate compliment...
This time when she came home and saw the boat for the first time with masts and rigging she was impressed and suggested that, when not actually out sailing, the boat should be displayed on the mantel over our fireplace (not in the fire)...
It's pretty huge for her now to suggest, unprompted, that the schooner should be honoured with that coveted display location.
High-fives, Zbip!! An Outstanding Marital Maintenance Award to you!
Jun 04, 2018, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by irandar View Post
Hi folks,
I am completing Emma but have not done the Epoxy work yet. I think I will make a putty by filling Epoxy with micro-balls. I once made a real stitch and glue rowboat using epoxy filled with cotton flocs. You can adjust the thickness by varying the amount of filler. Has anyone tried this?
Regards, Irving
Hi irandar,

I've made a rowing boat, 3 SUPs , 2 kayaks and a sail rig for the latest kayak using epoxy thickened with a microballoon/silica mix. I used the same mix building my Emma (because I had lots of the stuff available). It's lightweight and makes a very strong joint. I sometimes use fibreglass microfibres and occasionall silica on its own but the microballoon/silica mix makes a smooth paste which can be sanded easily so it's my usual choice.
Jun 05, 2018, 12:31 AM
Mad on modding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57 View Post
She goes away on business trips a week at a time, and always leaves me long lists of tasks to do in her absence. T
Ah, yes, the houskeepers post-absence inspections.

Took me a while (been at it for half a century or so, so have had time to learn a few tricks) to find a workaround against likely infringements.

I tend to leave the house progressively untidy as the days progress, not really understanding why everything has to be daily spick and span. My workshop never is, and there is constant happiness within it's walls.

Anyway, some hours before She returns I scoot around and get everything more or less as per standing orders.. But not everything. I found ages ago that if I leave some small, low-reaction blemish, like small sweepings not binned, she will pounce on that and, while not exactly laying charges, seems happy for some reason. So I just look rather shamefaced, crestfallen, and with a look of "how did I survive without you Dear?" She stops the general inspection, having justified her role as Base Commander, and further proof that I would perish without her, and so life goes on until the next time.

So far she hasn't detected the ruse, but if my posts suddenly cease, it's probably because she now has.
Jun 05, 2018, 03:02 AM
I gave up.

If I put in a big effort and she finds 'the slightest blemish' I am in the deep dark brown.

If I do nothing, it is just as deep and just as dark and still brown.

It is less effort for me to do nothing and get the same result.
Jun 05, 2018, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe View Post
So far she hasn't detected the ruse, but if my posts suddenly cease, it's probably because she now has.
Brilliant!

I keep telling her, "I'll get around to it the moment I've finished cutting, sanding, gluing, staining, varnishing, sewing, melting, casting, moulding, sailing, etc. It's the next item on my list. Really it is. You don't have to keep reminding me every six months..."
Jun 06, 2018, 02:09 AM
Mad on modding
Quote:
Originally Posted by g'n's View Post
Sounds great, Rob! This PC-7 is a bit pricey. It does, though, make a good exterior surface where exposed. Does the Sikaflex do that also?
I think it is something you would have to try and see for yourself. You and I both know how well any small "misses" are easily overcome and made invisible. It isn't formulated for exterior appearance, quite the opposite.
I'm using it at the moment with the intention to use a large syringe and masked off each side with tape.
Well the syringe worked fine on my tests, but days after when I went to use it (100 ml size) the plunger was not free to move properly even though the adhesive was still the same viscosity in the chamber.
So. I've used a smaller syringe, having had to remove the small aperture "needle" and drill a larger hole. The bead is a bit like cake decorating so it needs smoothing, and this has to be done within a few minutes before it skins. after trying a paddlepop stick and then some tough foam, I finished up using that most versatile tool we all have several of, a finger tip. I went ahead and did all the seams, figuring that it was still going to be better than the other three boats.
I have to wait until the adhesive is dry enough to remove the masking tape, assisted by careful use of a box knife blade at the tape edge.

If comes out OK I'll post some pics, if it doesn’t, well, I'll only post the finished boat as the inside job will only be seen by the crew.

BUT, will it do the job? Definitely. No risk at all.
Jun 06, 2018, 07:31 PM
Thread OP

Irene By Bicycle!

Today was my second attempt at bicycling my Irene "Deborah" to the pond.
Success!
The first attempt failed because I forgot about road shock (bumps cracks railroad tracks). I failed to secure her in a shock absorbing "soft" mount. No damage but we didn't make it to the pond. Today was OK because I deflated the trailer tires and strapped in about 25 pounds of water ballast. Also because I kept the speed under control!
A simple cradle holding her hull is cushioned with sleeping-pad foam. It's bolted to a top cross bar of the trailer and bolted to a front leg. Deborah is held secure by a "travel fin" that bolts into the fin trunk just like her sailing fin. I'm supposed to get to the pond, unscrew the travel fin and remove it, and bolt in the sailing fin with Deborah on the trailer. I forgot a screw driver, though, so she got rigged and then slid onto the sailing fin once off the trailer.
Anyway, I try to avoid driving around town and it bugged me to drive to the pond.
Besides, it's fun showing her off on the way!
Last edited by Paul~; Jun 06, 2018 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Clarity
Jun 06, 2018, 09:23 PM
Mad on modding

Wind assisted cycling

You deserve a reply, if not a medal, for posting that report, WITH PHOTOS.
Only improvement might have been an action video of the boat fully rigged, and you tacking all the way to the pond!.

Where I sail mine I have the problem of getting the boat in and out of the water with stuffing myself up somehow. It's either newly laid rock lined shores (not stabilised as yet) or extended shallows.

I've thought about a launching/retrieval trolley but as the venue is about 9 kms /5.5 miles it is too far for your method of transportation. I drive a small hatchback which takes an incredible amount of stuff in it, but this trolley would have to be able to get out deep enough to clear the bulb.
Hopefully some heavy winter rains will raise the level sufficiently, but weather forecasts for the winter suggest otherwise.

Currently doing the Sikabond results, not working out as neat as intended, but I wasn't overly confident. The comforting thing is, it will do the job of hull adhesion as well as anything else, in deed, if not in looks. By the time the inner hull is fitted out and painted up it will be fine.
Jun 06, 2018, 09:57 PM
200 posts, keep them coming RobC, always lots of good info. Looking forward to your next project.
Jun 07, 2018, 12:40 AM
Mad on modding

Sikabond adhesive

While I'm far from delighted with the appearance, the job is better than the earlier efforts which haven't proven less than adequate.

I should have done more testing on samples as the pot life of this stuff is about 3 minutes, that is before skinning occurs and from that point you can't root around with it.

Because of this I can't recommend it, not because of it's effectiveness, but if you bugger it up, there's no going back, or ways to get it off. On my hands it takes forever to remove, and I have some hefty cleaning fluids. Proof that it does it's job well on plywood!

The Photo
Jun 07, 2018, 02:41 AM
Recent Convert
Hi Again

Those are great ideas to keep out of trouble with she who must be obeyed , I'll have to put them to the test .

while I cant start Construction of my Irene yet, ( still thinking of what to name her) I have been pottering about with some bits and pieces.

I got some 1/16 Walnut sheet from a local art supply store and had it laser cut to make up some working rigging blocks.
bit fiddly to make but I'm reasonably happy with the result.

cheers

Quick Reply