Apr 24, 2018, 01:08 PM

Too pour or not to pour.

It seams that I panicked. Some of the lead is not all lead but various alloy's of Zinc etc. These wouldn't melt. So I'm gonna get some real Lead ingots and try again. Thanks all.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2018, 02:31 PM
sailtails - YouTube

observant crew !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57
I spy some fancy topsails on Tramp!

And is that a double-ended Pinky schooner? Is that one of yours too?
Yes Zbip, you do see a Pinky schooner, No it's not mine. It is outstanding, plank on frame, it was built by the legendary Swede Johnson and is currently sailed by an OCMSC member named Fred.
Yes again, Tramp was sporting new Top Sails which worked fine though they can cause her to become a bit cranky in a gust.
Was a fun day! Here are a couple more photos, from a camera aboard Tramp.
Gary
Apr 24, 2018, 02:51 PM

Pictures

More Pic's of the build I'm working on.
Apr 24, 2018, 04:08 PM
Thread OP

Just my experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowBau
It seams that I panicked. Some of the lead is not all lead but various alloy's of Zinc etc. These wouldn't melt. So I'm gonna get some real Lead ingots and try again. Thanks all.
I think all non-lead material will float and can simply be skimmed off. I bent a spiral shape on the end of a coat hangar, skimmed off just about everything visible, and poured. My tire weights (free) melted with lots of crap on the surface. After skimming the result was good.

Rudder in front of servo??
Last edited by Paul~; Apr 24, 2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Rudder in front of servo??
Apr 29, 2018, 04:31 AM

Flying the Flag

schooner Lorraine bessbrook (1 min 50 sec)

Calm water at last
Apr 30, 2018, 08:51 AM
Actual Model Aviator.
that would have been enjoyable but for all our sakes put the camera on a tripod! or sail closer so not as zoomed in so its less shakey. great looking ship tho!
Apr 30, 2018, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbluehorizon
https://youtu.be/mcHbqWbyslo
Calm water at last
Such a pretty ship. I like the swan in the background too.
Apr 30, 2018, 11:44 AM
I've been delaying this step because it is so irreversible, but the deck is now finally glued down. That wasn't nearly as traumatic as I'd imagined it to be. I even managed to seal around the edges with epoxy fillet without making a major mess of it.

Then I painted the hull. I added a rub rail below the gunwale railing and, rather than leaving them as varnished wood, decided to paint them both black. I'm not sure yet whether or not I regret that. My thinking was that there is already a lot of varnished stuff on deck and the contrasting rails might be nice.

Found a silver bell at Michael's, as suggested by Cap'n Hax.

I also added a label with my cellphone number, just in case of disaster and the boat somehow ever does get away from me.

Here are the latest photos, including a side-by-side with and without hatches removed.
Apr 30, 2018, 04:10 PM
Mad on modding
A very high standard of finish all round, Zip, you leave me envious. I will try harder with the next one.
Apr 30, 2018, 09:37 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
+ 1 Zbip,! She looks SWEET,!! Thx for the kudo's on the bell FIND,!! I always Try to help around here even if small help,!! SO,... at least now TWO, (2) sailboats will be ringing MY AMERITUDE boats BELL,!! Ring -a-ling,!!....
Anita Ward - Ring My Bell (8 min 4 sec)
AND SAVING This one for my Club mate Howbau 's boat,.....
SHE'S A BAD MAMA JAMA / Carl Carlton (4 min 34 sec)
Tim aka Cap'n Hax P.S Showing my age a bit,... BUT I'M still COOL cause I RC stuff,!!! HEE-HE-hee-he,!!!
Last edited by haxawsnavy; Apr 30, 2018 at 09:56 PM. Reason: added P.S
Apr 30, 2018, 11:16 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Glued down Deck & Great Paint !

[QUOTE=Zbip57;39587595]
Then I painted the hull. I added a rub rail below the gunwale railing and, rather than leaving them as varnished wood, decided to paint them both black. I'm not sure yet whether or not I regret that. My thinking was that there is already a lot of varnished stuff on deck and the contrasting rails might be nice.

Wow Zbip ! She looks great ! I think you did good with the black rails, and that companionway rings the bell for sure !
I have not forgotten about halyards / pin rails, working on that one.
Cheers, Gary
May 04, 2018, 03:22 PM
Just a FYI for all. Ships wheels can be had at this link. $1.50 for 1, 2-4 is $1.00. Laser cut ships wheel. Measures about 2-1/8 inches in diameter, with a 1/16 hole in the center.
http://zippkits.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=605
May 04, 2018, 03:23 PM
Finished my lead pour! All good and into shaping final product. Unfinished lead weights 7.3 lbs the 90% finished one weights 6.6 lbs. I hope to have both finished to 6.5 Lbs. The Fin weights 2.8 lbs and when all finished hope to have it at 2.5 lbs. Total weight [email protected] 6.5 and 1 @ 2.5 =15.5 lbs. I will PC7 the bulbs,sand and paint to match the Fin(Black). I might continue finishing the bulbs a little lighter to bring overall weight to 15 lbs.
Last edited by HowBau; May 04, 2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: add pic's
May 06, 2018, 02:24 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Halyards & Pin Rails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57

All of Gary's photos and videos show his lines so neatly coiled and tidily hung on the pin rails. Gary, do you have a tutorial on how you do that?
Thanks Zbip for bringing this up, here's how I do that.
Gary
How to make a Halyard fast to a Pin Rail (3 min 25 sec)
May 07, 2018, 12:22 AM
Flying Models Plans
Well shown Gary, thank you!

Thayer

Quick Reply