Bearospace schooner Irene - Page 63 - RC Groups
Mar 13, 2018, 12:47 PM
Had to add a flag to Lorraine.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2018, 02:41 PM
Cheers and beers!🍻
Originally Posted by Zbip57

On the subject of, "Don't, unless you can afford to lose it", here's what happened to our rally car last September.

A minor fuel leak turned into a catastrophic fire. See before, during, and after photos. It's toast.
Ouch is right! Kind of puts “burning up the track” into a whole new perspective

On the topic of retrieval, if there was some way to ‘heave-to’ that is put her nose through the wind, backwind the jib, (prevent it from going to the other side) ease out the main and fore, then put the helm down to try to bring her back up through the wind, would essentially stall her in her tracks. ( make sure that booms are out to port side to be sure of ‘starboard’ right of way)...

Garry is chuckling now, I just know it!

That way, Bear can go below, make a distress call, take a ration or two of rum...

Other than that, I will have my kayak ready for the call!
Mar 13, 2018, 03:17 PM
It seems to me that Mother Nature will have the final say on any built in failsafe/retrieval on-board mechanism we come up with.
Where I sail the wind is hardly ever constant for long, and also prone to directional shifting somewhat, usually during frequent gusts.

Because of that the boat will be inevitably sent, either directly (often unerringly so) or in non-regular gyrations towards whatever shore of inconvenience (to you) she chooses.

That leaves the Wary Skipper to coming up with a shore based retrieval vessel, one that is highly likely to actually succeed (otherwise, why bother?)

Would be very interesting to read what you think might do the deed, and see if others agree or can spot possible flaws in the system.
As Jimbo has already suggested a kayak we can pretty much say that's a given, if not practical for most of us.
Mar 15, 2018, 03:43 PM

A benchtop bandsaw with a 1/4" wide, 14 TPI, hook tooth, blade turns a sheet of door skin ply into an Irene kit in short order. Nice clean edges too.
Used a scroll saw for the interior cuts and tight radii.
Mar 15, 2018, 03:59 PM
Nice looking unit clay. I just changed mine from 18 t.p.i. to 14, hoping it wouldn't make a less clean cut, but as you say, it does. AND it is a lot faster than 18.
The blade supplier talked me into a 10 t.p.i. and an 8 t.p.i. as well as he said the 18 would "burn" the wood. Well, it never did to ply, but it did slightly color 1" pine though. Probably neve ruse the heavier blades unless I run out.
Nothing worse than knowing the blade is running rougher and waiting for that SNAP!! and clatter as the weld join gives away.

I have a pedestal model, with a 10mm blade.. It is by far my favorite tool. Also a very much lighter bench one.

Quick Reply