Feb 24, 2018, 11:17 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57
After a couple of aborted attempts at making a ship's wheel, I cheated and bought a ready-made one from Harbor Models for $5.

That was easy.

https://www.harbormodels.com/rb131-47.html
I'm here lookin around cause My club mateHowBou's here n I saw this,... Nice n inexpensive,!! BUT here's MY idea final attempt @ aborted trys of same, ( I have more time than $$). Plus I like to challenge myself if I CAN do something with near on hand things common to some households. Not to hijack here just an FYI option for something that can be done sized to suit,!! Tim aka Capn Hax
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2018, 12:50 AM
That looks great capt. Hax. Saved to the build folder.
Feb 25, 2018, 01:09 AM
Cheers and beers!🍻
This is great! So my schooner will be faster! Because I am using 1:16 scale. So mine would be 64’ long which makes my boat go about 12kts! Lol!

The new schooner looks fantastic too! I had to pause and replay a couple of times because she has a white hull and dacron sails on her! But I am positive its a new ‘Irene’!
Feb 25, 2018, 04:21 AM

Scale speed

Thanks Gary,
must of been a rough row changing T shirts twice! Got more snow on the way and icy winds all the way from Siberia. Thanks again. Everyone i meet at the reservoir likes the boat.
regards
Bob
Feb 25, 2018, 09:06 AM
Cheers and beers!🍻
Thats a real good wheel! It is great to see what everyone can come up with that truely makes their own Irene or Emma a true nostalgic boat with character.
And that is the first time I have ever seen toothpicks with turnings on one end! Excellent find!
Cheers-n-Beers, Jim
Last edited by Jimbo Sailor; Feb 25, 2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Adding comment
Feb 25, 2018, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlMalone
That looks great capt. Hax. Saved to the build folder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Sailor
Thats a real good wheel! It is great to see what everyone can come up with that truely makes their own Irene or Emma a true nostalgic boat with character.
And that is the first time I have ever seen toothpicks with turnings on one end! Excellent find!
Cheers-n-Beers, Jim
Thanx Guys,! Looks better in real than the pic though. My buddy circuitfxr here sourced them from Grocery chain PUBLIX. Although It's not going on my mothers name sake boat, (Irene) maybe I'll build one some day,! Wanted it for my 'Tude n Minnow boats. as the scale can be manipulated a bit. Here's a shot of "Tude", Minnow not far enough along yet,!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Last edited by haxawsnavy; Feb 25, 2018 at 01:24 PM. Reason: spelling /punctuation
Feb 25, 2018, 10:15 PM
Mad on modding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Sailor
Cheers-n-Beers, Jim
I have them also, I think they are intended for cocktails and pre-dinner stuff. I use mine for mixing and applying small amounts of epoxy.
Feb 27, 2018, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haxawsnavy
Wanted it for my 'Tude n Minnow boats. as the scale can be manipulated a bit. Here's a shot of "Tude", Minnow not far enough along yet,!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Will Minnow have a scale 3 foot hole in the side?

TJ
Feb 28, 2018, 01:30 PM

?.... OR LARGER,! HEE-HE-hee-he,!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybury
Will Minnow have a scale 3 foot hole in the side?

TJ
Sorry for the OT reply here... just answerin the ? HX
A VERY good possibility with MY luck on projects, even before she gets WET,!! She is made of $$ store foam board also and currently suffers a broken bow shear port n starboard (from planking incomplete there) and superstructure damage. things like to fall on her getting moved from place to place while workin on other projects,!!! It would be further along IF I knew THEN it was ok to "cheat" on the plans here on RCG. Was doing the planking in plan sized strips, wish had made larger planks as saw another builder here do ("cheat") after had them 60-70% done,!!! Or better yet, Mr. Trittle here suggested I could have made them solid one piercers cause the foam will take the compound curves. (which I later did on my 'Tude build) No HAX build thread on the Minnow cause I saw she had been WELL covered in RCG of many scales. Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Last edited by haxawsnavy; Feb 28, 2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Added appoligy for posting Off Topic.
Mar 01, 2018, 01:53 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Holding "Irene"

Hi Gang,
I've had a request for dimensions of stand(s) for "Irene", so will share with Y'all - Picture worth a thousand words ???
Cheers, Gary
Mar 01, 2018, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Webb
Hi Gang,
I've had a request for dimensions of stand(s) for "Irene", so will share with Y'all - Picture worth a thousand words ???
Cheers, Gary
Very nice. Thank you !
Just last night I was thinking I needed to build a working stand next. Quite helpful.

With a few mods the dock side stand could be made to be placed with the webbing straps up to hold the boat and then flipped over and opened up to hold the skipper while the boat is in the water. Straps on one end, canvas on the other.

TJ
Mar 01, 2018, 04:22 PM
Mad on modding
My Irene stand is as Gary shows it, and most necessary out near the water, but also in the shop.
I was about to make a slightly smaller, narrower one for Anna when it occurred to me that a small chain to hook on and off a shorter span would serve for the Emmas. and it does.
What I really need are three that have a pedestal base (floor space becoming hard to manage) just to be able to store and work on them. Next project, maybe?

Work on them? Aren't they finished and sailing? Sure, but it is clear that some ongoing maintenance is a given so that needs to be kept in mind, thanks to pleasant hours of sailing and sunshine.
Mar 04, 2018, 06:33 PM

Failsafe?

I have a question for you seasoned experts concerning failsafe settings, not that I'm anywhere near ready enough yet to worry about that.

In case of loss of control signal, my fancy DJI Phantom 3 Pro drone will automatically return to home and land. I'm not expecting my Irene sailboat to do that, but I was just wondering how one should treat a potential loss of control signal.

The simplest system I'm aware of, in R/C planes, is to have it configured to simply chop the throttle upon loss of signal. But setting throttle stick to zero would correspond to winding the sail sheets in tight. It would make more sense to let the sheets fully out to stop the boat. But it will eventually swing around to fill the sails anyway.

So what do you do with the rudder? I guess that depends on where you're sailing your boat.

If you're sailing on a small lake or pond when the batteries die in your transmitter, it really doesn't matter if the boat keeps sailing on in a straight line to run aground on the far side of the lake, as long as you can walk around to that side to retrieve the boat.

But if you're sailing on a large lake or ocean, you wouldn't want to have to watch your boat sailing away to disappear over the horizon.

So in Failsafe, is it best to let the sheets spool all the way out, and rudder hard over to one side or the other?

Any recommendations?
Mar 04, 2018, 08:48 PM
Mad on modding

Is a Fail Safe setting really effective on a rc sailboat?

Having suffered such a scenario more times over the years than I can to admit, there is actually nothing "safe" you can do about it in my opinion since recovery is more important than setting a fail safe default on either sheets or rudder..
Airplanes have generated motive power and/or gravity to make this so important when radio contact is lost, but water borne vessels have neither.
Your venue will determine whether you only have an inconvenience of time while waiting for the model to beach, or , as you say, see it heading off into the sunset, "lost at sea"

But the greatest inconsistency to setting an effect fail safe is the whim of the weather as to what the conditions are like at the time the boat goes AWOL.
With sheets full out, or nearly, and the rudder dead ahead, the boat will invariably go into a frustrating series of slow circles as the breeze, often a gust, will make the booms go over and on the opposite tack, repeatedly. Leeway will continue to drive the boat before the wind but since the wind is often changeable in direction and intensity, the result will nearly always be different from one day to the next.
With sheets in, and rudder off-centre in will as likely or not just perform seemingly random gyrations, sometimes being nearly flattened if gusts prevalent, but once again making eventual recovery lengthy and uncertain.

All this is on the situation where the TX fails the connection. Most “drifters” as we call them, are due to onboard failures, often depleted batteries (you may notice the winch slowing before the rudder, due to respective power needs, ) or water damaged electronics. Sometimes the simplest faux pas of them all, not powering on the boat before launching (don’t laugh, it will happen to you sometimes). I’ve long since made habit of activation the rudder before anyone’s boat actually leaves my hand.
There are several things you can do, though.
A : While on its stand, briefly turn the TX off and see what happens to the controls. all this will do is allow you to know what is happening "out there" when and if contact is broken. On any of my boats nothing will appear to happen and with the TX turned on, maybe a twitch of the rudder but otherwise normal control.
B: While sailing under moderate conditions, set the sheets and rudder to various positions and power off, noting the way the boat is managed by the conditions at the time. all this will do is make the actual event, if ever, not such a frightening experience.

Give some separate thought to how you might recover a “drifter” but be aware that sending something out to get it is not as simple as it may seem. That topic is a vast one.
But, we are all different, this is just my 2 cents worth.
My suggestion is, always use freshly recharged batteries in both Tx and RX. Leaving it to “she’ll be OK”, really isn’t good practice.
Mar 04, 2018, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
Don't sail a boat you can't afford to lose...?

Quick Reply