Bearospace schooner Irene - Page 59 - RC Groups
Feb 13, 2018, 08:50 PM
Cheers and beers!🍻
Well with my experience, Murphy....that SOB! Pops up everywhere! So I am putting in foam floatation blocks. Kinda like myself, if it floats and its a small type vessel, I will wear my floation device!

You can check it out on my blog!
Last edited by Jimbo Sailor; Feb 13, 2018 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Unfinished before hitting done
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2018, 02:32 AM

Flotation

I wonder if you can get in enough flotation. My Emma is constructed of very dense 2.5mm birch plywood. To really float it would need enough air volume for 3.5 kg lead. That would mean a volume of air equal to the displacement volume. I think airbags might be best. On the other hand completely filling with water would be very unusual, almost impossible unless there was a hole in the hull.
Regards to all.
Feb 14, 2018, 02:36 AM
Well I've accumulated a number of small video cams, Action cams I think they call them, and acquired or made a variety of surface mounts on the boats.
If you look at the main video of my Emma I just posted on that thread you will see how they look in action.

Basically I use either Velcro for a temporary deck mount but sometimes fit a brass blind nut into the deck to screw various attachments to ,which hold the camera.

Here's a few pics from today's setup.
Feb 14, 2018, 02:43 AM

Great videos

Wow thanks for the videos of the Molly G. Really great the one from the deck. I guess a small camera would need a waterproof case. Here the lake is just starting to freeze over so I have a bit of time to think about it.
Feb 14, 2018, 02:54 AM

Camera protection?

They SHOULD have a waterproof case but if you look at today's video of my Emma on that thread you can see how I mount them to minimise water getting into them. It certainly gets ON them but the wind blows it away and in warm weather , blow dries it quickly as well.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=81

A mobius action cam costs around $100, waterproof case from U.K. about $60. It is HD resolution. Anyone want more details on any of this camera stuff, PM me as it might not be of general interest on here.
Feb 14, 2018, 01:12 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by irandar
I wonder if you can get in enough flotation. My Emma is constructed of very dense 2.5mm birch plywood. To really float it would need enough air volume for 3.5 kg lead. That would mean a volume of air equal to the displacement volume. I think airbags might be best. On the other hand completely filling with water would be very unusual, almost impossible unless there was a hole in the hull.
Regards to all.
It really needs to displace the same weight of water, not air. At 8+ pounds, it would need space for a pint per pound of weight, or over 2 gallons of "space".
Feb 14, 2018, 02:57 PM
Spot on Bob.

You only need to see how high both models stay above the water, even at high speed downwind, to see they are very "floatable".
Last edited by robcrusoe; Feb 14, 2018 at 03:04 PM.
Feb 14, 2018, 03:13 PM
Yes assuming it would float without the keel of 3.5 kg, then 3.5 L of airbag. I guess that would be 1 gallon rather than 2. Maybe possible to squeeze that into the hull.
Feb 14, 2018, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Sailor
Murphy....that SOB! Pops up everywhere!
Great to see you back! I thought maybe we'd lost you.
Last edited by Zbip57; Feb 14, 2018 at 04:33 PM.
Feb 14, 2018, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by irandar
Yes assuming it would float without the keel of 3.5 kg, then 3.5 L of airbag. I guess that would be 1 gallon rather than 2. Maybe possible to squeeze that into the hull.
See how Jimbo did the calculation for his E.Irene.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2955228
Feb 14, 2018, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe
I use either Velcro for a temporary deck mount but sometimes fit a brass blind nut into the deck to screw various attachments to, which hold the camera.
I have several GoPro cameras, which we used in our rally car, but was just wondering about the attachment to the boat's deck.

The brass blind nut is perfect, but doesn't that introduce another hole through the deck whenever the camera mount isn't attached?
Feb 14, 2018, 04:49 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Floatation & such

Hi Everybody,
I'll comment about Irene floating. Surely she would sink if she filled with water. Though the wooden structure would float itself, the weight of the
fin & bulb (about 15 pounds) would sink her. So floatation of about 15 pounds plus a bit extra would be required.

I do not add floatation to my own Irene or Emma. Even sailing in boisterous conditions, they take on very little water. I do sometimes find a bit, but never more than a spoonful after hours of sailing. My hatches fit well, and I suspect water finds its' way in around the mast(s) where they pass through the deck.
It would take a catastrophic event to put a hole in the hull. This I consider an acceptable risk, rather like sailing a real boat.

Robcrusoe mentioned using the Mobius action camera, and his youtube videos are much appreciated. I will say I have used the Mobius and it has been great, clear video with fantastic color.

BIG THANKS to ALL who have contributed to this forum and shared their projects us.
Jimbo, happy to see you back to work, she's going to be a beauty.
Cheers, Gary
Feb 14, 2018, 05:19 PM

Irenes Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Webb
Hi Everybody, ...

BIG THANKS to ALL who have contributed to this forum and shared their projects us.
Jimbo, happy to see you back to work, she's going to be a beauty.
Cheers, Gary
Yes, what a pleasure sharing these graceful schooners! I've enjoyed the sharing online as much as the building and sailing...er, well, almost!

Something I would love to see is a compilation video of Irenes Around The World.
Maybe if we all got our videos to Gary and Spike they would like to do one...
Thanks to all,
Paul
Last edited by g'n's; Feb 14, 2018 at 07:15 PM.
Feb 14, 2018, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57
I have several GoPro cameras, which we used in our rally car, but was just wondering about the attachment to the boat's deck.

The brass blind nut is perfect, but doesn't that introduce another hole through the deck whenever the camera mount isn't attached?
It would, but a dome head brass bolt of the required thread screwed down (only needs to be an inch of so long) fixes that. Doesn't look out of place, could be anything nautical .
Feb 14, 2018, 10:03 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Collection of Irene photos & videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by g'n's
Something I would love to see is a compilation video of Irenes Around The World.
Maybe if we all got our videos to Gary and Spike they would like to do one...
Thanks to all,
Paul
Thanks Paul for the encouragement,
I'd be happy to do that, Big Thanks to all who have sent me photos ! I have saved them all, a pretty nice collection, but I know there are more out there.
I'll be standing by to receive more - gringogary8@aol.com - and will try to put something together soon.
Gary

Quick Reply