Jan 19, 2018, 10:43 PM
Thread OP

setting bulkheads easily

I've been struggling with elaborate arrangements to hold these bulkheads steady while the glue sets. Grrrr
Well, today while building Gary's "Emma" a simple way finally came to me. To prevent the bulkhead from sliding upward, blocks were clamped to the gunwales above the deck line. Then, to prevent it from sliding sideways, 1/8-inch strips of wood were glued to the hull sides against the bulkhead position. These strips were the secret to success.
With this preparation the bulkhead was glued with 5-minute epoxy without any trouble. The string was then used to tighten the joints 'til the glue set.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2018, 12:26 AM
Some progress getting my Irene roughed out. I’m having a great time with this. Brilliant design work from a pdf tile printed with Adobe and taped together plans. All to make this from a $10 usd sheet of ply I picked up from Home Depot. Wow. Great stuff!
Last edited by CarlMalone; Jan 23, 2018 at 12:36 AM.
Jan 23, 2018, 01:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlMalone
Some progress getting my Irene roughed out. Iím having a great time with this. Brilliant design work from a pdf tile printed with Adobe and taped together plans. All to make this from a $10 usd sheet of ply I picked up from Home Depot. Wow. Great stuff!
Yes, Carl! Nice looking work there!
Wait 'til you're sailing a beautiful Schooner that cost very little more than the cost of the radio gear! The aluminum sheet and epoxy putty were almost all of the expense of my Irene (Deborah). Makes me very proud of her! I would be a bit embarrassed by an expensive toy boat.
Jan 23, 2018, 09:18 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Looking great Carl! Can't wait for us to have both of our schooners on the Concho!
Jan 25, 2018, 05:43 PM
Actual Model Aviator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g'n's
https://youtu.be/f8aW0rruveU
Looking great! Look at that wake! Congratulations!
We would love to know who you are and where you are!
these absolutely stunning ships guys, Ive never been a racer when it comes to sailing, and always a huge fan of schooners! there is a lot of posts here, where are these plans available that are mentioned? thanks. might be just a dream to build such a ship but I can hope. thanks.
Mike
Jan 25, 2018, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper51
where are these plans available that are mentioned?
http://www.bearospaceindustries.com/boats2.html
Jan 26, 2018, 04:46 AM
Thread OP

You can build this boat!

Quote:
these absolutely stunning ships guys, Ive never been a racer when it comes to sailing, and always a huge fan of schooners! there is a lot of posts here, where are these plans available that are mentioned? thanks. might be just a dream to build such a ship but I can hope. thanks.
Mike
Hi Mike, You're just the person we started this for, welcome aboard!
Gary designed "Irene" for easy building.
The materials are pretty inexpensive and basic tools will be adequate. This group is pretty encouraging and helpful and loves seeing your progress and onboard videos
You can choose to sew inexpensive sails or order Rod Carr's professionally finished ones,
I, for example, am new to sailing and hadn't built a boat before Irene. I'm delighted with the result and people enjoy seeing her. My first schooner is "good enough"!
Paul
Jan 26, 2018, 10:15 AM
Actual Model Aviator.
thanks guys! seems like such a perfect way to go. I ended up finding the plans site soon after my post in the link on a video. The design reminds me so much of a home brew model sloop I made years ago for display, might be able to find a photo. I guess another question for me is has anyone scaled these plans down and built from that, As much as I would love to build a 50 inch schooner, with moving around it may not be practical but not ruling it out lol. I have a friend that has commercial plotter so printing plans wont be an issue. thanks for the welcome, I can only hope to try this at some point! the semi scale schooner idea just makes sense. Mike
Jan 26, 2018, 10:32 AM
Actual Model Aviator.
I had to go back to my 2006 and 2008 threads on this lil sloop, that the emma reminds me off, for a little background on my building, this lil thing took 3 winters to build, kinda designed as I went, so i think if I have plans like this Irene schooner I may be able to improve a much more functional model! so glad I found this thread.
Jan 26, 2018, 02:54 PM
Mad on modding
Quote:
As much as I would love to build a 50 inch schooner, with moving around it may not be practical but not ruling it out lol. I have a friend that has commercial plotter so printing plans wont be an issue. thanks for the welcome, I can only hope to try this at some point! the semi scale schooner idea just makes sense. Mike
Mike. Daniel built an amazing 50 cm version of Irene, and if he did it to that scale then you should have no problem with a smaller Emma.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=74

Emma, in it's designed scale. is not all all difficult to move around compared to an Irene.
Jan 26, 2018, 04:38 PM
Actual Model Aviator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe
Mike. Daniel built an amazing 50 cm version of Irene, and if he did it to that scale then you should have no problem with a smaller Emma.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=74

Emma, in it's designed scale. is not all all difficult to move around compared to an Irene.
Oh i like the small one, looks neat. If I do anything itll be a gaff schooner, the emme reference was more a observation about my old build.
Jan 26, 2018, 04:50 PM
Mad on modding
Ha! If it turns out for you as it has for a few of us, you'll finish up making both!
Jan 26, 2018, 05:22 PM

Plywood source

Plywood source

For folks in the states. I got my 1/8" plywood from Home Depot

Utility Panel (Common: 1/8 In. x 4 Ft. x 8 Ft.; Actual: 0.106 in. x 48 in. x 96 in.)

Model # 833096 Internet #100535208 Store SKU #833096

It's listed on their website. I hope this helps.

Carl Malone
Jan 26, 2018, 09:57 PM
Thanks Carl !!! Looks like it will do the trick!!
Jan 27, 2018, 01:34 AM
Thread OP

Thanks Home Depot

Just bought one of these plywood sheets for my Emma, yes, it's the right product.
I checked the edges for core hollow spots but of course there may be some anywhere.
At this price I can't complain about imperfections.

A note on jigsaws: Bosch makes a fine toothed blade that's also narrow and cuts curves nicely, the T101AO. It's also a good idea to set the saw for zero orbiting to allow the cleanest cuts with minimum splintering. This is how I cut everything for my Irene.

Quick Reply