Dec 07, 2017, 04:49 PM

Pelican hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe
I've found that silver bicycle spokes are the perfect material for pelicans.
Not too difficult to bend in a vyce with pliers and small hammer. Bend distance is a little tricky so you will probably, like me, make a few and pick out some pairs.
After a while I found the shrouds did not stay taut (due to transportation, not sailing) so I've employed bowsies to make small corrections.
I must admit i ordered stainless steel 2mm and waited patiently,it came from China, only to discover that stainless is brittle and does not bend without heat. Given up on that and now using 18swg piano wire bent with pliers using the form in the vice.
Now snowing heavily. Deck is in place and siliconed and screwed. I will be needing a small santa at the wheel!
regards
Bob
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2017, 10:33 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Pelican Hook Material

My choice of material for the pelican hooks is stainless steel welding rod.
Specifically, "TIG" rod (used for heli-arc welding). In the U.S. it comes in a straight piece 36" long in various diameters and various alloys. I use 1/16" diameter, type 316L for the hooks. This rod is soft enough to be easily bent to shape, yet stiff enough to do its' job. I find it commonly available here in Mexico where I live. I believe it is ordinarily used in the fabrication (welding) of food handling equipment among other things. I find it at Welding Supply stores, and the cost is little. This type of rod, in its' various sizes, is useful for other bits and pieces in our models, and is extremely corrosion resistant.

For 7/32" Tubing to secure the finished hook, I go to the Hobby supplier. Tubing is measured by its' outside diameter. I have used brass (tarnishes with salt water) and aluminum ( I expect it might corrode in time) and stainless (difficult to cut). I do manage to cut the stainless by dragging a fine tooth hack saw blade BACKWARDS across it. The easy choice is aluminum, which also is lightest.

Hope this is helpful - Cheers Everybody !
Dec 08, 2017, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I've found that silver bicycle spokes are the perfect material for pelican hooks.
I agree if they are stainless steel. Haven't tried the welding rod
Paul
Last edited by Paul~; Dec 08, 2017 at 09:23 PM.
Dec 08, 2017, 03:39 PM
Mad on modding
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidin'n'slidin'
I agree if they are stainless steel. Haven't tried the welding rod

You are correrct, not all bike spokes are created equal, that is, in stainless steel, but the better ones are. I make my selection with a magnet (some stainless steel may be slightly magnet attracted). However, on fresh water and even so, the unlikelihood of the hooks ever staying damp for very long with the constant airlow any plated steel would do. Thing is, if you have it, try it, you wont lose the lass because of it not being the optimum. Any bike repair store will fix you up with a few for mere pennies (smile). Take your magnet along. As for brass tubing tarnishing,, take a minute to buff 'em up then a coat of clear lacquer..
Last edited by robcrusoe; Dec 09, 2017 at 02:28 PM.
Dec 09, 2017, 01:58 PM
Quote:
You are correct, not all bike spokes are created equal, that is, in stainless steel, but the better ones are. I make my selection with a magnet (some stainless steel may be slightly magnet attracted). [...] Any bike repair store will fix you up with a few for mere pennies (smile). Take your magnet along.
I was hoping someone else would ask first, so I don't end up sounding stupid. But nobody else did, so here goes.

What are we testing with the magnet? Are the "better" stainless bike spokes attracted to the magnet, or not?
Dec 09, 2017, 02:28 PM
Mad on modding
Trust me to leave an answer as a question. And you are right. what am I trying to say?
Well, most Stainless Steel (but not all, a minority of parts I have checked) are not attracted by a magnet. It they "just" are then they probably are fine since whatever afford that mild attraction is not going to rust up anytime too soon. But, hey, these things take less than a minute to bend up, so I really think it more important to get the size and shape right than worry too much about tarnishing, or worse. Like I’ve said, it is all fresh water around here so maybe caution is the keyword. I would think that anyone sailing any rc boat on saline waters would give the lass a bit of a wash down with fresh afterwards anyway. At least I hope I would remember to.
Even so, bicycle spokes are meant to cop a lot of road slush which is probably the quickest way for corrosion to set in, but you seldom see this except of very old, unused and abandoned cycles. So I think even the none stainless version are still chrome plated and as such should be just fine. Having said all that, Gary’s welding rod is the 100% certainty, for sure. Not that it would be thick enough for large pelicans but another source of stainless wire for making fittings, like small hooks, etc, is a metal kitchen whisk. Again, many are not stainless, but the dearer ones usually are. There’s a lot of wire in one.
Dec 10, 2017, 11:31 AM

Schooner Lorraine

Finally boat is ready for the water. Dead calm and freezing. Hopefully will be able to use a local fishing pond. Still to put the name on her. Rc gear is working but full movement of jib sail is restricted. Other 2 sails have a reasonable amount of movement. I'm using the taranis with throttle limited to 78%. May be able to get her into the van fully rigged if she is lying at an angle. AUW is 22 lbs.
Will post maiden video asap when weather and time allows.
regards to all
Bob
Dec 10, 2017, 12:53 PM
Thread OP

Nicely Done!

What a beauty, Bob! Will she have to break ice to get underway? Who will man her helm? Way to go, sir!
Dec 10, 2017, 01:50 PM

Schooner Lorraine

I have a teddy with servo installed for head movement and hand attached to wheel but he may get thrown overboard by my crazy steering. May look for a santa . Wife suggested christmas lights. I have a few from night flying planes. Still a few minor details to complete. Need to name printed while Lorraine is out. How many women have a boat named after them?
regards
Bob
Dec 10, 2017, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57
I was hoping someone else would ask first, so I don't end up sounding stupid. But nobody else did, so here goes.
What are we testing with the magnet? Are the "better" stainless bike spokes attracted to the magnet, or not?
Aha! I found a video which explains this. The "better" stainless steel is not attracted to magnets.
See at 4:09:31.

T37 Assembly Part 2 (4 hr 41 min 6 sec)
Dec 10, 2017, 11:23 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Schooner Lorraine Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbluehorizon
Finally boat is ready for the water. Dead calm and freezing. Hopefully will be able to use a local fishing pond. Still to put the name on her. Rc gear is working but full movement of jib sail is restricted. Other 2 sails have a reasonable amount of movement. I'm using the taranis with throttle limited to 78%. May be able to get her into the van fully rigged if she is lying at an angle. AUW is 22 lbs.
Will post maiden video asap when weather and time allows.
regards to all
Bob
Congratulations Bob,
Nice work! and Thanks for sharing your project with all of us here on the forum. Will be wishing you fair weather and will be looking forward to a report of her maiden voyage. Cheers for Lorraine!
Gary
Dec 11, 2017, 08:20 PM
Mad on modding
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbluehorizon
How many women have a boat named after them?
regards
Bob
All the memorable ones, I guess.
Dec 14, 2017, 09:55 PM
I've started!

But I started small by first building the Skiff. Still needs paint though.

Learned lots, like how easy it is to glue your fingers together with Superglue (CA).

D'oh!
Dec 14, 2017, 10:10 PM
Mad on modding
Nice construction..
Dec 18, 2017, 10:47 PM
Here's an alternative to trying to find a commercial print shop capable of printing the Irene plans in fullscale.

Adobe Acrobat Reader will print the PDF file in fullscale on your own printer in Poster mode, tiled over multiple sheets of paper. Choose Poster mode, 100% scale, and enable Cut marks which prints little crosses at the corners of each sheet for alignment.

Some assembly required...

Quick Reply