Bearospace schooner Irene - Page 50 - RC Groups
Dec 06, 2017, 02:14 AM
Owner - Flying Models
Drill it small and break out the file.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2017, 01:40 PM

Pelican Hooks

A silly question. Struggled making them and remade after fitting gunnels. Are the hooks fitted with the tie point inboard or outboard or is it whatever floats your boat? Getting close to a maiden sail if weather permits.
regards
Bob
Dec 06, 2017, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayer
Drill it small and break out the file.
Ha!

Judging by how perfectly shaped it is, I thought maybe Gary had some sort of magical D-shaped drill bit or a punch to stamp out that precise mounting hole.

In my dreams I picture myself beavering away at this project and turning out a masterpiece. But then reality sets in when I realize my wife probably won't appreciate me taking over the kitchen table for the next few months, not to mention the sawdust, glue and paint fumes, or (don't even go there) cooking up a batch of molten lead.

I will first need to build a workshop. At the very least I will need to buy a set of tiny files to fashion a rudder control arm...
Dec 06, 2017, 05:42 PM

Rudder Arm

You might search a bit through the RC Plane suppliers like DuBro to see if they don't have a rudder arm that is either spot on, or can be easily modified like maybe drilling it out to accept your rudder shaft. Couple bucks is all they cost.
Dec 06, 2017, 06:14 PM

rudder arm

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/steering...-5pcs-set.html

Hobbyking do a set of 5. Drill out the thread or file out the thread and they will save a lot of trouble.
Dec 06, 2017, 06:36 PM
Zbip

I use the full arm version of these from Hobby King. They have a 4mm opening which fits closely enough to 4mm undercarriage (toughened steel) wire.

Just make a squarish notch on the shaft in the direction that will let you remove it once the deck is fitted, should the need arise.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/steering...___store=en_us

Full arms (push/pull) are more dependable than single arm, but single arm will work just fine on these boats.

Hobby King have single arms in all sorts of shaft sizes. Search on "steering arms"

Or visit any large rc plane store and show them this photo, they should be able to help.
Dec 06, 2017, 06:46 PM
Look for DuBro # 166 Long Steering Arm about $1.79
Dec 06, 2017, 06:48 PM

Easier and maybe better

Wish I'd thought of this a year ago!
My setup with the flatted rudder shaft and D-shaped hole in the tiller doesn't self-center.
I would now flatten the shaft and then solder or glue a Dubro wheel collar onto the tiller.
Tightening a hex-headed bolt into the collar and against the flat spot should center the tiller and be strong enough to hold the rudder securely.
I would silver solder the collar to a brass tiller but think epoxy would also work if both surfaces were sanded and cleaned well.
The collars are nickel-plated brass and come in all x/32 inch sizes.
Dec 06, 2017, 08:20 PM
Awesome! Thanks.

While I certainly do admire Gary's fine craftsmanship in fabricating all his own running gear, it does sound a whole lot simpler buying these critical bits from Hobby King.
Dec 06, 2017, 10:37 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Pelican Hooks for Shrouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbluehorizon
A silly question. Struggled making them and remade after fitting gunnels. Are the hooks fitted with the tie point inboard or outboard or is it whatever floats your boat? Getting close to a maiden sail if weather permits.
regards
Bob
Hi Bob,
Not really a silly question at all, pondered that myself, but found that it was best to orient the tie point inboard.
I made one hook, then used it as a pattern to make a jig which helped me make the others to match.
The hook in place can be seen in the photo from camera aboard gaff version "Tramp". Original "Irene" off the port bow.
Will be looking forward to a report of the maiden sail -
Cheers, Gary
Dec 07, 2017, 12:20 AM
Owner - Flying Models
As for that rudder arm, remember it is mostly hidden. What about drilling, and maybe even reaming that perfect hole, and then soldering on a piece of flat stock that blocks part of the hole? Put it on the bottom if you don't want to make it pretty.

Thayer
Dec 07, 2017, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbluehorizon
regards
Bob
Mine have the wire loop inboard, I poke the bended bit thru the hole then slide brass tube keeper over it. I think that is Gary's way, works for me anyway.
Dec 07, 2017, 01:34 PM

Pelican Hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Webb
Hi Bob,
Not really a silly question at all, pondered that myself, but found that it was best to orient the tie point inboard.
I made one hook, then used it as a pattern to make a jig which helped me make the others to match.
The hook in place can be seen in the photo from camera aboard gaff version "Tramp". Original "Irene" off the port bow.
Will be looking forward to a report of the maiden sail -
Cheers, Gary
Thanks Gary, Got some vinyl free from sign maker for waterline and line below gunnel. I've gone the route of screwed down deck then silicone sealant. Weather here is very bad and weekend looks iffy.
regards
Bob
Dec 07, 2017, 01:37 PM

Pelican hooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe
Mine have the wire loop inboard, I poke the bended bit thru the hole then slide brass tube keeper over it. I think that is Gary's way, works for me anyway.
Thanks Rob, Pics from you and Garry have made things a lot clearer
regards
Bob
Dec 07, 2017, 03:12 PM
I've found that silver bicycle spokes are the perfect material for pelicans.
Not too difficult to bend in a vyce with pliers and small hammer. Bend distance is a little tricky so you will probably, like me, make a few and pick out some pairs.
After a while I found the shrouds did not stay taut (due to transportation, not sailing) so I've employed bowsies to make small corrections.
Last edited by robcrusoe; Dec 07, 2017 at 03:19 PM.