Nov 23, 2017, 08:12 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Mast Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourbluehorizon
Hull now has an undercoat, Mounted masts with sails today but I am having problems getting things to fit. Have checked sail measurements and mast and gaff spar measurements. Beginning to wonder if I have misread the measurements on the plan. There is no way the double block and single block with becket will fit. I have att copy of PDF with my interpretation of measurements in pencil. Hope someone can put me right on this.
Happy thanksgiving to all across the pond.
regards
Bob
Hi Bob,
I see the problem when looking at your pencil work. The 3 - 1/4" (and the 6") measurements are to be from the very TOP of the mast. That should set things right.
Thanks for your generous input here, I've enjoyed seeing your project and I'm sure everyone else has too.
Cheers, Gary
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2017, 08:22 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Another "Irene" sailing

Hi Gang,
I've received very nice photos from Dwayne in Arkansas USA of his schooner "Miss Betty Jo 2" - (I love photos!) and he has kindly given me permission to share them with you. He reports these shots were taken on her second sailing day. Congratulations to Dwayne!
Last edited by Gary Webb; Nov 23, 2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: correction
Nov 24, 2017, 01:32 AM
Mad on modding
I recall that stage being a bit hard to follow, somehow I got it to work.

Here's my working configuration. Green measurements are from tip of mast.

Does it help?
Nov 24, 2017, 01:34 AM
Mad on modding
Love the bone in her teeth...
Nov 24, 2017, 03:36 AM

Mast Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Webb
Hi Bob,
I see the problem when looking at your pencil work. The 3 - 1/4" (and the 6") measurements are to be from the very TOP of the mast. That should set things right.
Thanks for your generous input here, I've enjoyed seeing your project and I'm sure everyone else has too.
Cheers, Gary
Thanks Gary,
Nothing better than waking up to receive emails that clear up problems. On annual leave now so will crack on with build.
regards
Bob
Nov 24, 2017, 03:40 AM

Mast Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcrusoe
I recall that stage being a bit hard to follow, somehow I got it to work.

Here's my working configuration. Green measurements are from tip of mast.

Does it help?
Hi Rob,
Brilliant. Frosty outside . Boat is now nearing completion on stand in front room. Need to watch the glue!
regards
Bob
Nov 24, 2017, 12:09 PM

Schooner Lorraine

Time this boat had a name. After my wife of course. Finally got the sails rigged and the winch system working all 3 correctly. Need to taper the mast foot more for better location. Still the gunnels and hatch covers to do and paint the hull. Hope I get her on the water before the ponds freeze.
Thanks again for everyones help.
Nov 24, 2017, 03:14 PM
Mad on modding
Looking good OBH..
Maybe leave the keel off and fit some wide spaced ice runners.
White Christmas, hey? Down here it could well be 40C and beach weather.

Of course the beer will be icy.
Nov 24, 2017, 11:34 PM
Flying Models Plans
Strangest Christmas Day of my life was spent swimming in the Indian Ocean just north of Perth. In my world the ocean should be somewhere around 30 deg F on Christmas.

Now ice boating, that I can talk about.
Nov 27, 2017, 04:37 AM

Bollards

Bollards made from Dowel and shaped with dremel small drum sander. Would have looked better set directly onto deck.
Nov 27, 2017, 11:08 PM
Mad on modding

Mast locking pin

Having nearly completed the Emma I wondered why the Irene didn't specify the installation of a locking pin where the mast enters the deck. I can't exactly recall Gary's reply to my query but it was something like "why not?"
Since the Irene was two shrouds per mast, per side, where as Emma only has a single one each side. Shrouds tend to assist the orientation of the masts so on the Emma it is mandatory.
Even while;e rigging up and adjusting gear, the Irene's mast do rotate somewhat so I decided to fit a pin to each mast as per Emma.
The pin is actually brass tubing which is more than rigid enough to do the job. No reason for tubing ,really, it's just that I have various sizes and I think it looks spiffy on a classic boat.
Dec 02, 2017, 03:38 PM

First Sail

I checked out Gary's video about DIY Cotton Sails, and I began to make my first sail.

I am not good at stitching and sewing... But it is the right time and place to learn and exercise. So I am here any my beautiful boat has her first sail.
Dec 02, 2017, 04:06 PM
Mad on modding
Well done! Looks very much like Gary's.

The sails, when rigged, will only take on true form as they fill with the breeze out on the water.

I used double-sided filament tape to hold the corner patches in place, doesn't leave any marks, I found.

Even using a machine has it's profound steep learning curve, possibly taking as long as hand stitching, initially, anyway.
Old Dec 02, 2017, 06:04 PM
kayakrc
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while kayakrc edits it.
Dec 06, 2017, 01:02 AM
I fell in love with gaff-rigged schooners upon watching my friend's R/C boat sailing in Florida. Then I nearly sunk it by crashing my drone into it. Oops.

dji Phantom vs. R/C Schooner (4 min 39 sec)

I have since purchased the Irene and Emma plans from Gary, and have just now finished reading through all 49 pages of this thread. There is so much brilliant information here. Now I'm itching to start building, but I first need to solicit the required blessings from my wife before undertaking such a project.

I do have one question for Gary though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Webb
I suggest filing a flat on the fwd face of the threaded area, then making a control arm to fit.
I can see the benefit of filing a flat face into the top of the rudder post, but how do you drill a matching D-shaped hole in the control arm?

Quick Reply