Bearospace schooner Irene - Page 47 - RC Groups
Oct 31, 2017, 05:04 PM

Keel Box

Doing great with keel box until i bust it part open with fin. Paring down the fin now so it wil slide in and out easily. Various suggestions on shrinking cotton. several cold washes or bung it it in the drier real hot. I may end up using the ripstop. Built the box for casting bulb in plaster of paris. I've done a few of those! I'll make a half blank from some dense blue foam.
Thanks again for replying
Bob
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2017, 05:35 PM

Cotton Sail cloth

Hi OBH Cotton sail cloth is best handled by washing, drying then press flat with an iron set for cotton ,once flat lay out so as selvedge edge (non fraying edge)
is along the luff of the sail pattern, If unsure as to which is the correct edge a gentle tug will find that one way the fabric will stretch slightly (selvedge edge) and will not stretch the other way ,Non stretch =top to bottom , Stretch = side to side, When all set and rigged a fine coat of diluted pva glue about 30 /1 will make the cotton look and behave just like minature canvas
Oct 31, 2017, 06:56 PM

sail cloth

Thank you. But what is "OBH"? Hadnt thought of PVA glue treatment.
Regards
Bob
Oct 31, 2017, 09:19 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Are the sails in the pic from bed sheet, with the pattern printed on them? Makes a nice looking sail (seam).

BP
Oct 31, 2017, 11:25 PM
OBH is a friendly abbreviation of your alias name.. I would easily know what RC meant if it were used. Cornish Pierat is also known as CP.
Forum shorthand ?

I think it is important to test your fin box out of the boat with either the actual keel/Fin or a pattern of the same thickness and that section that fits into the box. I made mine to very tight fitting and although it holds the keel very firmly, Gary assures us it is not necessary.to make it too close. In hindsight I have run some abrasive covered 2 mm ply in and out of it a few times to smooth it off. Once you build the Irene the last thing you'll want is to struggle to seat the keel in the box., then put a bevel around the leading edge of the pin/bolt so it finds the keel holes easily. You'll see what I mean when you get there.
Nov 01, 2017, 05:09 AM

Cotton sail 's

Hi Guy, s The cotton sails on the boat in pic were from 100% pure cotton (calico) available from haberdashers , comes in a balk of cloth 48"wide by as long as you need , BEWARE if you use cotton with a synthetic content It tends to have a mind of its own , The stitch lines TO REPRESENT olden day sails were sown in with red thread ,as fullsize sailcloth came in 60" wide balks and the sailmakers had to sow it togeather to get the size required , Mark up the sails with a dressmakers washable marker , and when finished wash again to remove the lines leaving only your red cotton thread to show up, Regards C/P
P.S. I understand from sailmakers over here (uk) that the canvas was always laid with the seams parallel to the LUFF of the sail Keen eyed among you will see I have it wrong on one of the sails???? C/P
Last edited by Cornish Pierat; Nov 02, 2017 at 04:06 AM. Reason: ADDENDUM
Nov 03, 2017, 01:42 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Luff / Leech ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornish Pierat
Hi OBH Cotton sail cloth is best handled by washing, drying then press flat with an iron set for cotton ,once flat lay out so as selvedge edge (non fraying edge)
is along the luff of the sail pattern, If unsure as to which is the correct edge a gentle tug will find that one way the fabric will stretch slightly (selvedge edge) and will not stretch the other way ,Non stretch =top to bottom , Stretch = side to side, When all set and rigged a fine coat of diluted pva glue about 30 /1 will make the cotton look and behave just like minature canvas
Hi CP, Thanks for the fine explanation of the selvedge edge. I must say that I have found it best to arrange the selvedge edge to lie parallel to the LEECH of the sail rather than the LUFF. The reason for this is that the luff of the sail will be fitted with a bolt rope to take the strain, while the leech will not have a bolt rope to take the strain. This is the case on full size sails as well, and you will find that canvas sail material is/was laid out with seams parallel to the LEECH. Clearly seen in old photos, and in these 2 google images. One image is of a full size boat and the other of a model from a real sail maker.
Cheers, Gary
Nov 04, 2017, 10:07 AM

oooops

Well done Gary, I stand corrected , although most older craft sails I have come across appeared to have boltrope's all round , Regards C/P
Nov 04, 2017, 11:23 AM

OBH Irene

Thanks again for everyones help. Lots of progress. Keel box is in and fin is easily removeable. Struggled with vertical hole for rudder. Only have a dremel drill stand but i got there in the end. The rudder is salvaged from an an IOM fin which I didnt think was stiff enough so it was cut down and 3/16 brass rod epoxied in. Finally got the whole rudder servo with lots of grease on shaft epoxied in too. Local discount Lidls had tap dies on offer so i had a first go at that. Also put a thread on old tiller arm. Made the bulb mold as well using blue foam as blank then set in a ply box with plaster of paris ,just over 1kg needed. Off on holiday for a week now but that plaster mold often takes 2 weeks to dry out completely.
May cut the ripstop nylon sails while wife is out. Needs plenty room.
regards
Bob
Nov 04, 2017, 12:03 PM
OBH

Although you are done with rudder and other items noted in your post above ... there are some suggestions for future re-build (or for others reading your comments and related challenges)

First easy suggestion / caution regarding plaster mold for lead keel bulb casting drying ... just put plaster mold in warm oven at 250F (or so nothing exact) just dry out the plaster vs waiting 2wks - waiting 2wks won't necessarily completely dry your plaster mold

There are other forum threads as to LEAD BULB KEEL CASTING and all the CAUTIONS ... from ensuring dry plaster mold to prevent hot lead flashing any plaster moisture that would cause mold to fracture or explode ... as well as ... lead splash or spatter ... having at least one other person to assist - and - safety leather gloves and safety glasses for splatter hazards
Nov 04, 2017, 12:33 PM

Casting Lead

Hi
I should have said leaving in a warm place. Warnings on casting lead are well worth repeating. You dont get a second chance with eyesight accidents
Nov 11, 2017, 10:42 PM

Thanks! and video of furled foresail

Hey, all you readers and contributors...Thanks very much!
To anybody wondering if you could build and sail one of Gary's designs, I think you can!
Thanks for all the helpful advice.
Thanks to the seasoned sailors and builders for sharing your knowledge.
Thanks to the novice builders (like me) for sharing your experiences, discoveries, frustrations, and breakthroughs.
I hope our sharing here will help lots of people build and sail these wonderful boats.
Thanks for the inspiring photos and videos!

Here's a look at my schooner Deborah with foresail furled.
The Schooner Deborah With Furled Foresail (2 min 1 sec)
Nov 13, 2017, 03:50 PM
Very interesting video, particularly the reason behind it. The short video on something like that is definitely the way to go. I'd very much like to see it again with a good deal of breeze up her skirt, furled and unfurled.
I'll see if I can do likewise with the Molly G that has the gaff option.
Nov 14, 2017, 10:27 AM
As an RC scale sailboat modeler, I have admired Gary Webb's video efforts for several years. I just watched the video on thread #632 for more information on the SPARKLE and Gary. Brilliant content! Thanks.
Last edited by Gammon Iron; Nov 14, 2017 at 07:09 PM.
Nov 14, 2017, 10:54 PM
Hi, robcrusoe, your videos of Molly G are great. Also, she looks really good and appears to handle beautifully. I hope her first seconds under sail were as delightful as when my Deborah sailed out of my hand.
Thanks so much for adding to this thread! It's my thank you to Gary Webb. I hope many Irenes will appear here for years to come.
I tried slowing the last video I posted and like the effect.