Bearospace schooner Irene - Page 41 - RC Groups
Aug 24, 2017, 12:23 AM
sailtails - YouTube

mast tapering

Quote:
Originally Posted by borazslo
After a beautiful summer it was time to return to work. And to shipbuilding.

The next step was to put the fin trunk together. Then I had to cut out the hull so as to make the fin trunk fit in place. That was a tough work for me. Even with my dremel kist. (It is my very first model anything.) But I am happy now.

Let's see the next steps.

QUESTION: Can you show me cross-sectional images of the masts please! I have difficulties with the "taper" and "taper front + side". Thank you.

(danielvaneygen: I have digitalized plans of page4 and page5 for laser cutter.)
Yes Daniel, the cross sections of the masts would remain round.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2017, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borazslo

QUESTION: Can you show me cross-sectional images of the masts please! I have difficulties with the "taper" and "taper front + side". Thank you.

(danielvaneygen: I have digitalized plans of page4 and page5 for laser cutter.)
Hi Daniel, I started by tapering just the front without rounding. The front gets the whole taper, leaving the back straight. Next one side was tapered only half as much. Then the other side only half as much. Finally the rounding was done, starting with the corners.
I have some aluminum tube cut in half and lined with sandpaper using double sided carpet tape that really helped get the masts nice.
Sep 08, 2017, 05:18 AM

me too!

I'm infected!
Normaly I'm in Powerboats but I've at least a small 500 mm Sailboat. Last year at a 2 days Modelboatevent I got problems with every Speedboat in my fleet , all that happend before noon. So I had been "forced" to sail the next 1 1/2 days. Since then I love to sail too. I startet to finde a project to built my own sailboat and this quest lead to this thread.
So yesterday I ordered the plan, although I don't have really time to do built just now, there a too many other open projects. My VO 152, my H&M T5, restauration of my Miss Thriftway, finishing my Graupner Systems, ...

Some other projects you can find on my homepage, which is also one of my actual project ans not finished yet ...
The modelmaking section i nearly finished.
york.bplaced.net
Sep 12, 2017, 01:24 AM
Hi Gary
I bought the plans some time back and have been trying, without success, to find door skins here in S Africa. I have found some thin ply at a local hobby shop but the size is not good 95mm by 95mm. So then if I half everything will she still work, and on that she won't take up much space in my already full man cave.
My challenge is every measurement is in inches and here we all work in centimetres, but I suppose simple enough to do the math.
Can I simply go to the copy shop and ask them to 50% the plans?
Sep 12, 2017, 09:11 AM
Cheers and beers!🍻
Hi SA/RC Flyer, just saw this and thought I may be able to point you in the right direction.

The best place to locate door skin plywood is at a building supply store. Not the big-box stores but the ones that the local building contractors buy supplies for house construction. Commonly known as 1/8" (3mm) mahogany, meranti,
Good luck! Jim.
Sep 13, 2017, 05:18 PM
Here in Australia we do not find door skins available either. While I dismantled an existing panel door (40 years old and in great condition.. or was ) I opted to mainly use new 3mm pine 3 ply since it is really cheap, unblemished, smooth finish that takes pencil easily and is virtually ready to paint. It cuts cleaner than skin ply (mine, anyway) and is to my mind a great alternative.
Might I suggest to anyone about to build an Irene that they also buy a copy of Gary's Emma material as it contains a lot of compatible info at a very easy to follow level whereas the Irene version is left pretty much to the builders ability to work things out sometimes.
And even if you are dead set on Irene only, at least take time to meet Gary in his presentation of a truly great support YouTube video about the Emma.

RC Sailing Sloop “Emma” - One of my favorites! (10 min 11 sec)

Also his webpage has now had an great restructure with heaps of photos and a great deal if you buy the 2 sets in one package deal. Even if you don't really intend to build the Emma (like I had , but now will, soon) you will find it a parallel in many techniques for the Irene.
http://www.bearospaceindustries.com/boats2.html

Well done Gary!
Sep 13, 2017, 05:55 PM

Another great video, Gary!

I can imagine Emma having great values as a smaller, lighter, and simpler design, maybe to build before an Irene. Less building, less sewing, easier to transport and store, quicker setup, all make for a very enjoyable sailboat. When you have created such a lovely craft and see her elegant glide across the water it seems a bit incredible that you spent so little money.
Not to lessen respect for IRENE. She is a very stable camera platform and can provide a really fantastic "you are there" view from her deck. A totally rewarding model project!
My tiny Olympus Lifecam would probably fit Emma quite well.
Sep 13, 2017, 05:58 PM

Braided twine available

I have enough of the braided nylon twine both tarred and plain white to rig dozens of Irenes or Emma's and would sell a quantity very reasonably. No need for all of us to buy miles of extra twine!
Sep 14, 2017, 12:08 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Half Size ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA/RCFlyer
Hi Gary
I bought the plans some time back and have been trying, without success, to find door skins here in S Africa. I have found some thin ply at a local hobby shop but the size is not good 95mm by 95mm. So then if I half everything will she still work, and on that she won't take up much space in my already full man cave.
My challenge is every measurement is in inches and here we all work in centimetres, but I suppose simple enough to do the math.
Can I simply go to the copy shop and ask them to 50% the plans?
Almost any plywood of not more than 1/8" (3 mm) thickness will do. I am hoping you can find something suitable and build full size. At 50% she would displace only 3.125 pounds (1.4 kg) - Not really gonna work - Boats simply don't scale down very much and still work (sail) right.
Sorry about the "inches", I grew up in the U.S. and all the materials at hand seem to be in feet / inches. Hopefully this might be helpful to keep all our math skills sharp?
Sep 14, 2017, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA/RCFlyer
(deleted) My challenge is every measurement is in inches and here we all work in centimetres, but I suppose simple enough to do the math. (deleted)
Math sucks. Just use an online calculator.

https://www.convertunits.com/from/inches/to/mm

There are 2 calculators on this page. The first is inches to mm. It does not understand imperial fractions, it only works with decimal equivalents.

The second calculator (scroll down) does work with imperial fractions. You put the imperial measurement in the upper box, then the desired measuring system you want to convert to (cm, mm, cubits (4 options for cubits), or whatever measurement system you need).

Click the "convert" button, and the imperial (fractional) measurement converts to the imperial (decimal) equivalent, and the lower box displays the equivalent measurement, in the measurement system you specified.
Sep 17, 2017, 10:28 PM

Metric or imperial?

Of a suitable vintage in years I and happy using either, and often do since most (but not all) rulers have both, I've stuck to Imperial as that's how Gary does it. And after all there is not a heck of a lot of measurement needed, really, most of the time is in assembly and , if you are of that mind, modifying as you go along. Mainly it is in sourcing imperial dimension stock with a metric only local supply market.

Top marks Ken for the two online conversion programs
Sep 19, 2017, 03:07 PM
Hi Gents ,New face on the block just started building Gary's Schooner ,currently laying up the deck ,Previous did much model engineering steam etc ,only use one measuring system that is the honourable THOU 0.001 / mm just so many thous etc , stick with English or Americian threads as tollerances so much finer than metric thread systems , C/P
PS If you invest in a digital vernier (becoming quite cheap now ) they will move from metric measure to imperial at the touch of the button.
Last edited by Cornish Pierat; Sep 20, 2017 at 06:41 AM.
Sep 20, 2017, 08:12 AM
One question concerning the position of the ribs.
When I check the distance from the waterline to the top of the ribs, I get different measurements. When all bulkheads are aligened with the waterline the topsides are in different hights. Does this mean that the Deck is not straight? Otherwise it would only hit rib 1 and 5. Is this a faulty reasoning? Or what else ist wrong in my thinking?
Sep 20, 2017, 05:30 PM
York, the deck makes a gentle curve from bow to stern, it's closest to the water amidship.
It also arches from side to side.
It's worth keeping in mind this can be a simple and quick build. With epoxy paste on the joints precise fitting of parts isn't needed.
Have fun!
Sep 21, 2017, 04:54 AM

Molly G makes her maiden Down Under

After some many weeks and heavens knows how many hours I've not only finally completed my version of the Irene but actually had ideal, early spring conditions to sail it today.

I've been reluctant to post the progress as it seemed to be taking forever and in many instances, I had to do it my way, only because that's how it had to be with my limited skills or lack of local resources, such as glues and door skins, for instance.
But as it turned out I actually enjoyed nutting out how to do many things, using Gary's instructions, and to no small degree, analysing his excellent videos until suddenly it was, finished.

So here it is. when I say finished, Capt. Ted is all wired up but not powered up, just yet, but he insisted on taking the helm even though neither it or he actually did anything. But look closely in one of the videos you might catch the subtle wink.

We put it on the water at 9.00 am, expectation to have to take it out and adjust, or worse, repairs, but after 90 minutes of blissful, low input sailing, and despite the minor need to retention the rigging as it loosened slightly, initially, we only took it out when our time was up, not its.

I have a fair number of rc sailboats and have had even more over the years as has my mate who came with me. We both agreed the Irene is a superb boat to sail as everything is clearly in balance and once you set its heading there is nothing to do until you change it again. It is relatively untroubled with gusts and any that are prolonged will see her lift her skirts as she powers through the waves. Its all in the videos. She has a capital M for momentum. It will be interesting to work her up in stronger conditions.
Great job Gary, I know others have already said that, and more, but its a full 10/10 from me.

Next will be two Emma sloops, this time I will have a friend working on his and mine so it should be a lot of fun , a lot less effort, but hopefully as pleasant a result.
Separate topic for those, I expect.

Thge first short video is in normal time frame rate, the second is in SloMo. I use SloMo at times as it gives the interested viewer time to see how the boat and the elements work together.

Rc schooner Irene DownUnder one (3 min 26 sec)

Rc Schooner Irene in SloMo (2 min 47 sec)