Bearospace schooner Irene - Page 40 - RC Groups
Jun 27, 2017, 10:04 PM

lobster trap

Making a trap using popsicle sticks. Soaking and bending them wasn't working. Outside the window a fresh shoot on a maple tree caught my eye. Very supple and the right size. Some of them were wrapped around a small bottle and secured with string to dry. They seem just right.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 01, 2017, 10:33 PM

lobster trap on board

Deb's ready to catch dinner, now where is her anchor?
Jul 01, 2017, 10:52 PM
Nice lobster pot..
Jul 21, 2017, 12:55 AM
sailtails - YouTube

ongoing

Hi Gang,
Yes, nice lobster pot. The ponds around Deborah's area must be thawed by now, hoping to see her sailing again soon.
I've been happy to have updates from Russ, who is lavishing detail on his Irene project including the build of a Dory to be towed behind the schooner.
Check out these photos he so kindly sent my way.
Cheers, Gary
Jul 24, 2017, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Webb
Hi Gang,
Yes, nice lobster pot. The ponds around Deborah's area must be thawed by now, hoping to see her sailing again soon...
Cheers, Gary
Thanks, Gary! Deborah must be anchored in some of the calmest waters on Earth, day after day no breeze at all.
She's always very popular, though! That's such a fun aspect of sailing the model, people love to see it!
Jul 29, 2017, 03:44 PM

Missed the Gale warnings

Thursday afternoon the breeze finally looked adequate. It faded off while Deborah was getting rigged, though. Into the pond she went, just before this massive wind struck from the northeast. A tree was blown down. All the fishing and waterboarding people left.
Deborah was uncontrollable with a rail in the water and the prow bulldozing water. She went into the bushes without sinking.
No damage and no water in the hull! So glad she wasn't on a larger body of water!
Aug 02, 2017, 12:22 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Calm before the Storm?

Wow Deborah! Sounds exciting, glad to hear "No damage"
Aug 05, 2017, 03:08 AM

CNC cutting

Hi all, I have been following this forum for a while and I just purchased the plans. Thanks Gary. I have been sailing real life sailing boats for the last 40 years on and of but too many aces and pains now. So I want to build this wonderful schooner and sail it on a pond nearby with my grand-kids. My other interest is CNC routing. I just finished designing and building a second machine. So I need to degitalize Gary's PDF plans. My CNC software reads real PDF and bitmaps but not Gary's PDF plans. They are probably scanned in a PDF format.
Has anybody done this in the past? I can do it but it is a time consuming job....
Any hints are very welcome.
Daniel
Aug 08, 2017, 12:47 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Plan pdfs

Hi Daniel, Yes, you are correct that the pdf plans for the schooner are indeed scans of my pen & ink drawings. I will be watching with interest.
Cheers, Gary
Aug 08, 2017, 08:28 AM

Cutting parts

Digitizing went faster and better than expected. I managed to get the parts cut out of 3.7 mm birch ply that I had available. For the hull and deck I will have to buy 3 mm multi-layer plywood.
The photo shows one sheet of the cut outs still on the CNC machine after cutting.
If Gary agrees I could make the digitized files available.
Aug 08, 2017, 02:05 PM
Very nice

bill
Aug 13, 2017, 10:40 PM

Camera Testing on the Sea of Giants

A little bit of breeze, a new camera mount on two servos, and an inquisitive youth.
Please turn off the sound, it's just servo grinding and kids yelling, I don't know how to remove the audio.
saturday 7 22 17 camera play 2 (3 min 21 sec)
Last edited by glidin'n'slidin'; Aug 15, 2017 at 09:47 PM. Reason: addition of video
Aug 15, 2017, 10:41 AM

on a rainy day

While waiting on the 3 mm aviation plywood to come in I made a little video.
It shows what I have been doing on the "Irene" in the mean time.

Enjoy.

irene 1 (3 min 13 sec)
Aug 18, 2017, 02:45 PM
After a beautiful summer it was time to return to work. And to shipbuilding.

The next step was to put the fin trunk together. Then I had to cut out the hull so as to make the fin trunk fit in place. That was a tough work for me. Even with my dremel kist. (It is my very first model anything.) But I am happy now.

Let's see the next steps.

QUESTION: Can you show me cross-sectional images of the masts please! I have difficulties with the "taper" and "taper front + side". Thank you.

(danielvaneygen: I have digitalized plans of page4 and page5 for laser cutter.)
Last edited by borazslo; Aug 18, 2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: question added
Today, 02:37 AM

Spar tapering

I can answer that since I raised the same question with Gary some time ago. Basically, he said, "In real full size boats the spar is kept straight along the edge by the sail and the tapering is done on the other "sides". I simply followed this routine for the schooner."
The way I approached it was to mark that upper edge with a soft pencil (wiggly line) and then marked the range of the aft and fore taper sections. The centre section is not the centre of the spar but on mine, anyway, longer on the aft somewhat. You can see that in the drawings.
I used a Surform tool to work the tapers and finished off with different grades of emery cloth. Saved a lot of time and it doesn't take too much off all at once.
I used the edge of a long steel ruler to determine the amount of taper, and to make sure the top remained straight and non-tapered.

I was not practiced in this sort of thing either so on that, and a number of other steps, tested it out on scrap timber first.
Last edited by robcrusoe; Today at 02:50 AM.