Bearospace schooner Irene - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 31, 2016, 12:59 AM

PC7 epoxy paste?

Our town doesn't have Smith's epoxy products but there is PC7 epoxy paste. Is it a reasonable substitute?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2016, 12:47 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Epoxy paste

Hi Paul, I have not used PC7, but looked at a tutorial of it on youtube. It appears to be appropriate. I suggest you make a sample joint using scraps of the plywood, allow it to cure, then give it a stress test. Doing this would tell the tale and hopefully provide confidence in the product...Gary
Feb 04, 2016, 11:29 PM

Fin trunk is built, search for fin stock, bobstay fitting

Searching locally for fin material (aluminum sheet) has me thinking about a fin of plywood and fiberglass. I need the fin next so it and the trunk can be drilled together. This needs to happen before installing the trunk.
Meanwhile a stainless bicycle spoke has been bent and glued into the prow as the bobstay fitting. Also I can continue with the samson support, rudder support, deck fittings, and sailwinch structure. Hopefully Tower Hobbies will be sending the backordered sailwinch servo soon.
Feb 05, 2016, 01:45 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Aluminum fin material

Hi Paul, I realize you are in a small town, in a larger town you might find a "metal shorts" dealer. Also a local metal fabrication shop might have scraps. Another source could be E-Bay (look for aluminum plate 3/16"). Whatever you use, make the trunk so that the fin fits loosely inside. A bit of clearance is no harm, and tight can be problematic. Cheers...Gary
Feb 05, 2016, 06:24 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidin'n'slidin'
Searching locally for fin material (aluminum sheet) has me thinking about a fin of plywood and fiberglass.
Hi Paul,

Biggest benefit of an aluminum keelfin is it's thickness (or better; lack of it).

A wood fiberglass construction would be a lot thicker to get the same stiffness, even if you would incorporate carbon rods to keep the bending at bay.

This adds drag and will slow you down (unless the fin has a foil shape)

Another way to get a thin, stiff fin would be to fold two (thin) keelfin shaped pieces of epoxy, or carbon sheet over a carbon rod, positioned at the thickest point of the fin, so an foilshape appears.
The hollows are filled with epoxy and microballoons
As the fin is foilshaped, it can be thicker than 3/16 and still have better hydrodynamic properties

This is they way a lot of IOM sailors make their keelfin.
They also incorporate a threaded rod parallel to the carbon rod and have the tip sticking out of the top of the keelbox where a nut holds the keelfin in position.

JL describes it better: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...03&postcount=9

Regards, Jan.
Last edited by pompebled; Feb 05, 2016 at 06:31 AM.
Feb 06, 2016, 12:03 AM

bobstay fitting

Here's the stainless bicycle spoke bent to create the bobstay fitting. Pliers and a vise were used in the shaping. The spoke was cut off with a Dremel cut-off wheel. The long end of the spoke was used to handle and place the fitting into the prow. It's being CA'd into place and then epoxied.
Feb 06, 2016, 05:59 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Nice!

Once it's covered with a strip of glasscloth and resin you should be able to hang the entire boat on it...

I'm going to use this servo for the sails: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...054404315.html
I have used 14 of these in a project (14 120 cm long sail boats for an open air spectacle) and to my knowledge all are still working fine.

Regards, Jan.
Feb 07, 2016, 05:11 PM
I just ordered the plans for this boat. Can't wait to get started on it. Love the boat!!
Feb 07, 2016, 11:39 PM

Welcome, scottd9990!

I'm eager to see other's progress on their builds and to learn some boat building skills.
I've been ripping strips of this doorskin plywood using the jigsaw, a straight edge, and a couple of clamps. I will use these strips to create the hatch sides and built the fin trunk completely of doorskin.
1. The ply is basically free.
2. The guided jigsaw cuts about as well as a tablesaw.
Last edited by glidin'n'slidin'; Feb 07, 2016 at 11:48 PM.
Feb 08, 2016, 12:17 PM
Glad to see more ppl getting this boat (Scottd9990),

I got my plans from an print co here in town, the 24" scale at the bottom of the plan came out about 3/16 longer than 24".

Hope that does't mater.

Going to get some wood and make some saw dust

G/S, were you able to get some 3/16 aluminum?

Bill
Feb 08, 2016, 01:52 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Your printer needs to adjust his printer settings! Do not print to fit.

At least measure the scale bar and determine the percentage change that the print needs, then it can be printed correctly to scale.

BP
Feb 09, 2016, 11:35 PM

hatches built into deck

The plywood hatch sides are tacked in. I set them into the openings rather than fit them to the arched deck. They are about 1/2" in height. I'm not going to be finishing the cabin interior.
The bobstay fitting looks just right and watertight.
Ordered aluminum plate on ebay from metalremnants in Salt Lake City shipped for about $37. Ouch. Finishing it will be interesting. Also using it to set the fin trunk will be very interesting. Getting the trunk and rudder aligned with the hull centerline will take a lot of fussing, I'm sure.
Onward! The waters beckon!
Feb 10, 2016, 09:03 AM
Looking Great! Can't wait to get started on mine.
Feb 10, 2016, 10:37 AM

enlarging plans

The line on my paper copy of the plans measures 4.75 inches. To increase the final plans to measure 24 inches I tell the print shop what ?? Help!! Irv
Feb 10, 2016, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv Lewes DE
The line on my paper copy of the plans measures 4.75 inches. To increase the final plans to measure 24 inches I tell the print shop what ?? Help!! Irv

divide 24 by 4.75 = 5.0526315 = scale up #