Feb 18, 2017, 03:48 PM
Congratulations to Ian. She is a beauty. To build "Peggy" in one month is very impressive.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2017, 09:25 PM
Thread OP

Bravo, Ian!

Peggy is lovely! Very impressive!
Feb 19, 2017, 02:01 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Peggy sails!

This just in from Ian in Brisbane - He reports that Peggy sailed beautifully on her maiden - He adds that she has 6 kg of lead in her bulb, maybe a bit too much, he may lighten the bulb a bit. An available Teddy took the helm for the maiden, but Ian is hoping to find a qualified Koala for the permanent Captain position. Peggy looks great! Nice job Ian! Thanks for the report and photos.
Feb 19, 2017, 08:09 AM
Great job on Peggy and she looks like a keeper

Thanks Gary for keeping us informed on all the Schooners being built, l hope your keeping a album.

Bill
Feb 19, 2017, 06:02 PM
Thread OP

Camera swivel servo...suggestions, please!

To build a swiveling mount for a tiny camera I'd like a servo with almost 360 degrees of rotation.
If any of you know of one please inform me

BTW Peggy doesn't appear to float low in the water. Maybe her displacement is "close enough"
Feb 19, 2017, 07:33 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
[QUOTE=glidin'n'slidin';36920685]To build a swiveling mount for a tiny camera I'd like a servo with almost 360 degrees of rotation.

https://radiosailing.net/collections...ch-servoQUOTE]
Feb 20, 2017, 01:33 PM
sailtails - YouTube

360 degree servo for Camera/FPV system

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidin'n'slidin'
To build a swiveling mount for a tiny camera I'd like a servo with almost 360 degrees of rotation.

BTW Peggy doesn't appear to float low in the water. Maybe her displacement is "close enough"
Hi Paul, I have used a GWS 125-1T servo for panning the camera, available from Readymade RC
https://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...oducts_id=1256
I have also used their FPV monitor (screen) Model RMRC-LCD-7
Photos of the helm position on my schooner "Tramp" show a Mobius camera mounted on a mini servo (tilt) which is mounted on the 360 degree servo.
The Mobius camera has given me very clear video with great color. It is not waterproof, so is at some risk on the boat, but so far that has not been a problem. The video screen is mounted to the lid of a plastic tool box which also serves to carry transmitter(s).
A video transmitter and a LIPO battery to power the FPV system are mounted to the underside of the cargo hatch. The video transmitter is a hand me down from my son's airplane projects. He tells me there may be cheaper & better units available now.
I'm using the boat control radio to control the camera (left stick-boat) (right stick-camera) and I'm still learning how to use it all. Seems the best use will be to shoot video when sailing in the company of other boats.
Cheers, Gary
Feb 20, 2017, 01:45 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Photos of schooners built & building

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigman
Great job on Peggy and she looks like a keeper

Thanks Gary for keeping us informed on all the Schooners being built, l hope your keeping a album.

Bill
Thanks Bill, Yes, I treasure all the photos from all the builders out there. I save them all, and hope to assemble them into a collection I can share with everybody. So, keep 'em coming guys, and a big THANKS to all....Gary
Feb 20, 2017, 08:17 PM
Thread OP

Huzzah for IRENE! Huzzah for Gary!

Gary, thanks for the FPV information! I love the scenes of Bear and his sweetie flying! I hope to "stand" upon Deborah's deck, look up into the sails, and scan the shores of Colorado's mountain lakes. All for little money, of course
Feb 21, 2017, 09:59 PM
Just to let you know how the most Southern Irene is going. Had some time off for the Australian Wooden Boat Festival, What a great 4 days, also some sailing on a yacht my wife and I built some years back. Back to "Irene of the South". Hull is taking shape and now working on the deck cabins, hatches etc. Do not think I could keep up with pace of the build of "Peggy". What a great job Ian has done. I hope my Irene will look as good when finished. The idea of the dress makers wheel is good. I used the old typwriter carbon paper under the plan onto the plywood. No holes in the plan. Did not buy any Doorskin ply used ply left over from other projects, 3 mm for frames and 2 mm for skins.
Had a little luck a couple of weeks ago a chap arrived at our Sunday model sailing group and said he had a couple of old models he did not want. They were in bad condition, but one had a good king billy keel and a lead bulb that looked very close to the size of Irene. Took same home and now after I have shaped and S glassed the keel will have the keel and bulb without the melting of lead etc.

Good Sailing/Building and Filming to all
Feb 21, 2017, 11:13 PM
Thread OP
Very nice, Den! And even during Summer
Feb 22, 2017, 02:05 PM
Looking good Den. It appears you have a very unique rub rail.
Feb 22, 2017, 04:04 PM
Gary, I have seen pictures of your work with epoxy fillit. I spent my first hour with this stuff today. It reminds me of working with 3M 5200, except the fillit is even worse. I am amazed at the clean, smooth work you can do with fillit. You must be some kind of super-human. As for me, I think I would rather reenlist and go through boot camp again than to spend much more time with fillit. Hopefully, by the time I get to the deck, my technique will have improved. With careful cleanup and a bit of sanding, and paint, I expect it will look fine.
Feb 22, 2017, 11:27 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Epoxy Fillets

Rick, Boot camp was a long time ago, I did not want to be there then and I would not go again. I'll do epoxy fillets any day. I dab the stuff into place with a flat screwdriver (crude) and I try to press it to the wood to help it stick. Then I trowel it out with tool(s) made from scraps of the door skin plywood. You will have it figured out about the time you're done with the job.
Cheers, Gary
Feb 23, 2017, 05:44 AM
I thought I had a head start on the project since I bought a box of 500 tongue depressors for five dollars. I'll try your screwdriver tip to help get the fillet into place. I've seen your pictures many times, but I won't be posting pictures of my work just yet. Thanks Gary.

Quick Reply