Feb 11, 2017, 11:52 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Stronger breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidin'n'slidin'
Been thinking about reduced sail area for stronger breezes.
Been thinking about a second rig with sails permanently reefed.
Seems it would be easier to switch rigs than to reef and un-reef.

It's great to see some Irenes taking shape!
Stronger breezes - Tip - Try lowering and furling the foresail and sail on with jib and main. This tactic is commonly used on full size boats.
Last edited by Gary Webb; Feb 16, 2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Added info
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2017, 07:23 PM
Hey Gary. I am building the Irene to the Tramp specs. I have a question on mast rake. I installed the mast step per the numbers on the Tramp plans, but it seems to me the foremast rake is extreme. Please look at my pictures and advise.
Thanks,
Rick
Feb 12, 2017, 08:46 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Looks like you added to the deck angle instead of from plumb?
Feb 12, 2017, 09:29 PM
sailtails - YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBait
Hey Gary. I am building the Irene to the Tramp specs. I have a question on mast rake. I installed the mast step per the numbers on the Tramp plans, but it seems to me the foremast rake is extreme. Please look at my pictures and advise.
Thanks,
Rick
YIKES ! Yes Rick, something wrong there. Looks like I gave you a wrong number. I will go to my schooners and resolve this and will come back with info. ASAP. My apologies, surprised this has not come to my attention till now...Gary
Feb 12, 2017, 10:11 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Mast rake correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Webb
YIKES ! Yes Rick, something wrong there. Looks like I gave you a wrong number. I will go to my schooners and resolve this and will come back with info. ASAP. My apologies, surprised this has not come to my attention till now...Gary
Error found on spec sheet for Gaff rig (Tramp) version of "Irene" - I beg forgiveness -
The printed sheet SHOULD read "Place the center of the foremast step 2 - 13/16" aft of Sta. #1"
The spec given for the mainmast is correct
When all is in order, the mainmast will have a bit more rake than the foremast.
Thanks Rick for catching my boo-boo, sorry about the rework it has caused you. I am glad to see your progress.
Cheers...Gary
Feb 13, 2017, 02:32 AM
I had already glued in the foremast step. What I will do is plug the hole in the step with a half inch dowel, install another step next to the first one, and then drill my hole with the new step mounted in the boat. I will end up with a two inch step instead of a one inch. I don't think the larger size will be an issue with anything else. Should be a simple fix. Thanks for getting back to me so quick.
Does this picture look better?
Feb 13, 2017, 07:49 AM
Wow, I just checked mine and it showed 3 and 3/16 good thing l didn't glue the steps yet.

So just put a 1 in front of the 3 and it's all good

Bill
Feb 13, 2017, 08:51 AM
Bill, there are different measurements for the Irene and the Tramp. Which one are you building?
Feb 13, 2017, 10:32 AM

Oh Snap

Good call Rick, l was building off the print, I'm guessing here the red boat(Irene) with a Marconie(sp) main and Tramp is a Gaff main, so a little difference in fore mast rake?

So, with the fore mast step moved fwd 1/4" we are all good?
Feb 13, 2017, 12:41 PM
I believe it is 3/8" to be exact.
I went to town to get a drill bit for the boat. I bought some lettuce plants and onion sets, and I need to work in my chicken pen....so I will be working on these chores, all the while thinking about the boat.
Last edited by FishBait; Feb 13, 2017 at 12:47 PM.
Feb 13, 2017, 01:49 PM
The picture you posted of the plans, I believe is correct for Irene. The Tramp measurements are on a single sheet dedicated to Tramp.

The onions and lettuce are planted. It only took a few minutes, but tell that to my knees and back. Growing old ain't for sissies.
Feb 15, 2017, 02:00 PM
sailtails - YouTube

Mast rake clarification

The original (red hull) "Irene" plans showed correct dimensions for locating mast steps for the original sail plan with the marconi mainsail.
I later developed another sail plan with a gaff mainsail and a larger jib. This is seen on my (black hull) "Tramp" which is built same as "Irene" except for the sail plan and cabin profile. I added a page to the plans describing the gaff version, which calls for more mast rake on both the fore and main. This is accomplished by a change in location of the mast steps in the hull. Unfortunately that page had a "typo" in the foremast step location dimension, (my boo-boo). It read 2-3/16" where it should have read 2-13/16" This has been corrected and here is the corrected Gaff Version page.
I will add that after sailing the two schooners together on numerous occasions, I find little, if any, real difference in their performance. I can only suggest choosing the rig you like the looks of. Both are proper rigs. Just make a choice before gluing the mast steps in the hull.
My apologies to all for this boo-boo and any confusion.
Cheers, Gary
Feb 16, 2017, 07:29 AM
Gary, here is how I corrected the problem. It is an easy fix.
I put a plug in the original hole, and drilled the correct hole after mounting the new step block.
Feb 16, 2017, 10:42 AM
I just realized I should have done the fillets before mounting the mast step. Can't be too careful.
Feb 18, 2017, 12:54 PM
sailtails - YouTube

"Peggy" of Brisbane

Hi Everybody, I have just received more fotos from Ian of his schooner "Peggy". He bought plans just one month ago! and reports that a maiden voyage might happen tomorrow! Thanks Ian for keeping in touch and sharing your project with us.
Cheers to all, Gary

Quick Reply