Dec 08, 2016, 09:17 PM
I must have a black cloud anchored to my butt. I just got my new computer up and running, and now I have an electrical problem with my pick-up truck. But, through all of this, I finished 18 blocks for my schooner build. The only thing lacking is stain and sealer. The weather is clearing up, so I will plan another attack on the door skin as soon as I can get my truck running. Geeeeszzze.........what next?

Remember one thing....Growing old ain't for sissy's.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2016, 08:23 AM
Plus, you start repeating yourself, yourself.
Dec 09, 2016, 10:49 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Schooners in Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by uluru
Hi all, I´m from Spain, and nearly will start building my "Irene". Are there many here in Spain?
Hi to Spain,
I think this might be Victor, and you are not alone - 2 schooner "Irene" plans have gone to Spain and I believe you have an "Emma" plan set also.
Plans have gone to 17 countries so far, Thanks to all of you, this has been a wonderful experience for me.....Gary
Dec 09, 2016, 02:24 PM
Yes, I am Victor, and I have an Emma plan also, but litle by litle, firstly I´ll try to do Irene...
Dec 10, 2016, 01:46 PM
Greetings to uluru. And congratulations Gary on the world wide success of Irene. And forgive my repetition. The repetition isn’t so bad, it’s forgetting that I did.
I don’t have much progress to report, but none the less here it is.
It seems rats have gotten into some wiring in my pickup truck and I will have it towed to the dealer on Monday. I live in the woods, and this is one of the problems that can happen. If it’s not rotting, it’s falling down….and if it’s not falling down, something is eating it up. Can door skin be rolled up for transportation or must it lay flat?
In the meantime, I made my blocks and stained them….no sealer yet. I took my DF95 stand, turned it upside down, and used paper clips for hangers. Worked great. Here you can see my boat stand, blocks, work area, and the name of my boat. I am naming her “Rascal.” I finished reading “The High Seas Trilogy” by Iain Lawrence. These are three rather short books on smugglers, pirates and a schooner named Dragon. The term rascal is used several times and caught my fancy. I am still working on which style lettering I will use.
Dec 11, 2016, 02:47 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Transporting door skin

Hi FishBait, I like the name "Rascal" for your boat, seems somehow a proper schooner name! and the blocks, progress for sure.
I've got a plan for transporting door skin, have done it thisaway myself. Cut it into smaller pieces to fit behind the seat of your pickup. Assuming you find it in 4'x8' sheet, Cut lengthwise (2 pcs 2'x8') Then cut one of those into 2 pcs (2'x4'). Cut the other piece at 52" / 44" x 2 feet . You can build Rascal from these pieces. Some lumber suppliers will cut it for you or you could take along a hand saw and DIY in the parking lot. (Ask me how I know).
Keep cheddar cheese onboard ? so the rats won't have to eat the wiring ? Forgive me, it's late, I'm tired....Gary
Dec 11, 2016, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the advise on cutting the door skin. I'll get right on it.

And, you're right....I should take better care of my rats.
Dec 11, 2016, 10:50 PM
Gary You must be proud to see your design Ïrene" being built all around the globe. I wiill keep the blog informed when I start to build. In the meantime a couple of pictures of the John Alden Ketch "Rena" Still have the electrics to go in plus sail controls and the sails to make. Will have ready for the Australian Wooden Boat Festival.
Dec 12, 2016, 12:33 AM
Beautiful boat and craftsmanship Den!!
Dec 12, 2016, 04:59 PM
Den. That is a beautiful boat. Enjoy the Australian Wooden Boat Festival.
We look forward to your building the Irene. Keep us posted.
Dec 16, 2016, 06:47 PM
Hey Y'all. It is getting busy around here and I don't expect to be around for a while, so I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas.
Jan 03, 2017, 09:57 PM
sailtails - YouTube

New Year

Happy New Year everyone! and a speedy recovery from the holidays. The first day of the year sent a third "Irene" plan set to Spain.
Jan 05, 2017, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Webb
Happy New Year everyone! and a speedy recovery from the holidays. The first day of the year sent a third "Irene" plan set to Spain.
Happy New Year!! Spanish "Irenes" increasing!!
Jan 07, 2017, 12:21 AM
Thread OP

mast hoops and jib hanks

Greetings and Best Wishes for a Great New Year!
My schooner Deborah was barely launched before the end of the season and left lots of details "until later". Now we are buried in snow so it's "later".
I've started by sewing rings of ball-point pen tube to the leech of the jib and threading the forestay through them. Are they called "hanks"? There are 11 of them spaced about 2-5/8" apart.
Next I've cut 10 rings of 3/4" plastic water pipe that I'll sew to the leech of the foresail.
I tried making a miter box of the plywood to help cut these accurately but it didn't work. Then I simply trusted my eye and hand with a thin hobby saw that cut them close enough to sand them into final shape. These hoops are a bit over 1/8" wide. I cut them to slip past the cotter pins that hold the gooseneck. Super glue seems to glue them back together OK. I plan to tape waxed paper around the mast when I glue them. These will be spaced about 2.7" apart.
The photo shows the hoops on the foremast, the cotter pins in the mast, the gooseneck on the boom, and the corner of the foresail.
I'm thinking I'll also put hoops on the mainsail even with the spreaders in the way. It would look strange to have them only on one mast. I won't be able to lower or reef the sail, oh well.
Next I may be gluing in some flotation foam. I fear the ballast taking Deborah to the bottom of the lake.
Jan 09, 2017, 02:20 PM
sailtails - YouTube

More on hoops & hanks

Hi Gang, Holidays past, and spring on the way, looks like Deborah will be ready. The "hoops" on the gaff foresail and (yes) "hanks" on the jib are fairly straightforward. Let me add what I did on Irene's marconi mainsail. I sewed on hanks, like on the jib, and strung a tight line along the aft side of the mast for them. This allows the sail to be raised / lowered (playtime). However it still does not hold the sail against the mast very well when sailing - so, when sailing, - I add a few loops of thread to hold the line close to the mast. All of this can be seen in this photo of the upper end of the main mast.
This way, I maintained the appearance and function of "hoops" for the gaff sail, and "slides" for the marconi sail.
Flotation foam? One might consider the possibility of sinking as "realistic" sailing performance?
Cheers, Gary

Quick Reply