Nov 16, 2016, 11:33 PM
Cheers and beers!🍻
A workshop on wheels!

Your off to a great start! Just some advice on the tabletop...Laminate though very durable, is just as, well, VERY slippery!
If you leave the top as wood, you can nail to it, put screws to it and it will really become a workhorse for anything and everything to do with your build.

Running a screw through a strip of plywood with the loose end of the strip resting on whatever you need to hold down and screwing down the strip makes an excellent hold down clamp!

If you run a screw through laminate, it will leave a permanent 'volcano' that is darn near impossible to repair whereas with a wooden bench, a quick file and a swipe with sandpaper and good as new!

And the best thing about it is that it will show you just how much use you made with it on your boatbuilding project!

So go ahead and hit it with a hammer, get glue and paint, blood and sweat on it, and turn it into a masterpiece that only YOU can do!

Cheers and Beers! Jim, Vancouver Island
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2016, 07:25 AM
Jimbo. You present a great case against laminate. I did not think about laminate being slick. Old wood has character, so I will feel very good leaving the top in wood. "Blood"?......You must have heard from my wife about my other projects. Thanks for the advice.
Nov 17, 2016, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBait
My mother used to say I was a "slow and plodding worker." The job always got done....and well....but in a plodding manner. My wife and I plodded thru finding a car for her....and we did well. She is happy, and thru it all I managed to build a table from an old BBQ grill for two saws. I also completed a 4X8 table to build Irene....AND I am still married. I need advice. I can't decide if I should stain the table top (birch ply) or cover it with a laminate. I am leaning toward the laminate. The temperature is dropping into the 40's at nite and mid 70's in the day. I hope to get the door skin soon now that car shopping is over. Table top advice would be greatly appreciated. Here are a few pic of the saw table and Irene's table.
FishBait, I'm glad every thing worked out with the car and the wife being in good health.

Your off to the races with your new saws and table, perfect size l might add.

HD had the 1\8 door skin that l used and l built two sail boxes out of it as well.
Nov 17, 2016, 08:33 AM
Jimbo, Been following your blog and l must say your skills are way cool, l love the way you built your boat ie, cabin,deck, paint job.

What are you doing with the cover plk (if that's the right term)

Bill
Nov 17, 2016, 11:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigman
HD had the 1\8 door skin that l used and l built two sail boxes out of it as well.
Hi Tigman, care to show us those boxes?
Nov 17, 2016, 01:46 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Jimbo. You present a great case against laminate. I did not think about laminate being slick. Old wood has character, so I will feel very good leaving the top in wood. "Blood"?......You must have heard from my wife about my other projects. Thanks for the advice.
Put a piece of 1/4 in (not quite as hard as pegboard) hardboard as the top. It can be replaced when it wears.

Or 2 x 4 ft ceiling tiles as a softer working surface. They hold pins nicely.

BP
Nov 17, 2016, 02:14 PM
Thread OP
Yesterday could have been Deborah's last sail this season. It was windy, I got nervous about her taking on water. It sure seems that she would sink if filled. She would heel over and hook into the wind. I tried staying on more protected water, then came in.
Well, she was dry beneath the deck!
Also the breeze finally stretched her sails fully and they looked smooth and great!
Nov 17, 2016, 08:55 PM
Cheers and beers!🍻
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigman
Jimbo, Been following your blog and l must say your skills are way cool, l love the way you built your boat ie, cabin,deck, paint job.

What are you doing with the cover plk (if that's the right term)

Bill
Thanks for the nice compliments Bill
By cover plk, I assume you are talking about the deck planking? I used strips of sapele, a type of African mahogany, which I salvaged from a boardroom table that I was re-sizing. I ripped into 1/8(-) thick by 1/4(+) width. I glued this to the plywood decking with 2P-10 industrial CA glue.
The black lines are just made from 1mm (also available 0.5mm) black vinyl edgetape available from any reputable cabinet shop. It is around 7/8 wide and cuts easily with a knife and straight edge. I made mine a bit more than 1/8 then scraped them flush with the decking.
Very time consuming, but the joy I have in the build project is worth it for me!

Another trick I do is once all the strips were cut to about 10" long, shuffle them all together and this will more likely avoid having matching grains together and produce the random look.
There are so many other woods out there that I would love to try...I would have to make a fleet of 'Irene's' and charter them out! I will start bookings in Spring!
Hope you have a wonderful time with your build!
Nov 17, 2016, 09:15 PM
Cheers and beers!🍻
Quote:
Ha ha Rick,(if I may) blood just goes with the territory! I am sure that everyone here will have their own personal DNA signature on there own boats as undoubtably CA glue wins when it comes to skin! And it won ALOT with me
Nov 18, 2016, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidin'n'slidin'
Hi Tigman, care to show us those boxes?
The first box was built w/ H/D door skin, the 2nd box was Lowes 5MM ply
Nov 18, 2016, 01:16 PM
And here's DF65 a&b sails same door skin as the first from HD

With a built in handle
Nov 19, 2016, 06:16 AM
So back on track, haven't done to much due to shop honey due's.

I finely got the hull tacked together.

I found a new hobby shop that has west system, so l picket up a can of 205 fast hardner and some filler for the inside joints.
Nov 19, 2016, 09:05 AM
Jimbo....I had not seen your blog. You are doing a first class job. I can't wait to see her finished. And, you'll be glad to know I struck first blood building my work bench.....

Tig...Glad to hear you are back to working on your boat. l wondered where you have been. The sail box with the built in handle is very nice. Very creative.

Here is a picture of the finished table. I still need to get the door skin and a few more items.
Nov 19, 2016, 03:54 PM
Cheers and beers!🍻
Quote:
Jimbo....I had not seen your blog. You are doing a first class job. I can't wait to see her finished. And, you'll be glad to know I struck first blood building my work bench.....

Tig...Glad to hear you are back to working on your boat. l wondered where you have been. The sail box with the built in handle is very nice. Very creative.

Here is a picture of the finished table. I still need to get the door skin and a few more items.
Ahhh! Glad to see the personal touches happening so soon! and no , lest you get your mouth washed out with soap! I never did aquire the taste for that after countless trys!
Nov 19, 2016, 10:29 PM
sailtails - YouTube

another rig box

Hi All, I made a box a while back to hold the rig for my gaff Irene. Door skin plywood and pine strips, nailed together with bronze boat nails. It is fairly compact as I fold the cotton sails and the rig has no spreaders. The box is 12" x 49-1/2' x 2-1/2". I made the inside "soft" by lining it with foam board covered with a fuzzy fabric. I slip the shroud ends (with pinrails and pelican hooks) into zip lock bags to prevent them from tangling.
I have not yet made a box for (the original) Irene's rig, but I really should. It will have to be a bit larger and will probably hold one mast in each half of the box.
Tigman, Happy to see progress.
FishBait, Nice table, looks spacious.
Cheers everybody...Gary

Quick Reply